• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Straight Lake/ Big Toad

I have been fishing Straight lake every year for a week since 1996. My wife and I stay at Breezy Point June 14 June 21 (about) every year. The resort is top notch and the lake is great. I usually catch northerns, bluegills, bass and a few crappies and walleye. I am already day dreaming about my trip!

This year I want to try nearby Toad Lake. The DNR shows nice numbers of walleyes and I want to give it a try some morning or evening. If anyone can give me a few tips I would sure appreciate it.

Can't even tell you how excited I get for this trip every year. See you soon!

Erik, I will maybe venture to Big Toad tonight and see what the deal is. The lake doesn't have much structure to fish, but there is plenty of weedlines to fish. I would suggest big bait, or lots of it because the rock bass were extrememly plentiful out there last year.

I will try and give you a report!!

Hammerem, thanks. Say I got another question for you. Have you ever eaten rock bass? As a kid I was always taught they are trash fish. About 10 years ago a friend of mine told me to eat one once and tell him if I could tell the difference between a rock bass and a bluegill on the dinner plate. I couldn't. Any report would be great. Thanks again.

Erik,

Hey, didn't get to Toad last night. Crappy weather kept me closer to home. I do know Toad can be tough at times to catch fish. There are some nice crappies in there also. So, pitch some small jigs on the weed edges. Half crappies and half rock bass.

Rock bass are pretty tasty. The only real problem is that they have such a thick rib cage which makes them a little tough to clean. I also think they get a little "mushy" in July, August. June should be good.

Another good lake in the area if your interested is Shell lake. It hasn't froze out in a few years and the walleyes were snappin out there last year. It's shallow and pretty big, but pull some spinners and crawlers along any of the sharper breaks. Good size out there too. Just another option. Wolf lake can be good too I've heard, but don't know if it froze out!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 05-22-2003).]

Teedee, minnow races you say! You have my complete attention. That sounds really cool. I love all of the stuff that makes you think of being up north(minnow races, camp fires, roasting marshmellows etc. The walking trails would be really nice with the little one. Not to mention the north side is better fishing. Thanks for the heads up I will be sure take a look. Thanks again.

Hammerem, thanks for the advice. I intend to try a few new lakes this year and may venture to Wolf or Shell. I will be arriving at Straight Lake on Saturday June 14 which is a full moon. I will probably just put my boat (red 14 ft lund with a 9.9 Evinrud) out on Straight. Last year I did pretty well very early or night fishing. Any luck on a full moon up there? Perhaps a story you could share (I am not asking for locations)? I am sorry for rambling it's just that I look forward to my Osage trip so much. I have some many great memories. I now have a six month old son and it will be his first trip. I only hope he looks forward to this trip when he gets older like I do.

A week trip to the area is a problem. Way too many options for just 7 days. I have fished Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, walleyes, Notherns, Bass , Bluegills, Crappies and Perch in previous trips. A guy has actually got to narrow down the options to have a successful trip. Therefore my theme this year is #1 Walleye and #2 Northerns.

Did I mention how excited I am to get back up to Osage?

Erik,
I'm familiar with Straight Lake myself.
If you get a chance, take a tour of the resort on the North end of the lake. Straight Pines Resort. It was the old Bass Bay Resort. They have new owners and have completely remodeled all of the cabins. They have about 80 acres with walking trails. They even have minnow races for the kids.
your are right, Breezy is very nice as well.
Good luck!!
TD

My husband and I have fished Big Toad for the last 14 years. We will be heading up again June 14th to spend a week at Bambi Resort . We have been fortunate to have had really pretty great fishing most years. A favorite of mine is the crappies. We usually fish them in about 15 feet, trolling with a blue or purple jig with a fathead. We have found there to be numerous large ones. 1.5 to 2 lbs not uncommon. The only downfall is the large numbers of rock bass also present.

Jluck, thanks for sharing. Wow those are some big crappies. I really want to try for walleyes not to say that the technique is much different for crappies I may happen upon one of those monster slabs. Be sure to say hi if you see a guy in a red 14 foot lund with a 9.9 evinrud and a bowmount trolling motor.

Wolf lake is a great walleye lake and probably easier to fish then any of the other lakes you have mentioned. If you are set on fishing walleye ask at the local bait shop in osage (the bar) and they can tell you where the eyes are going. June 14 is usually towards the end of the shallow water bite. Good luck

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have an itch that I will soon be able to scratch up in Osage next week. When fishing walleye on straight lake do you think leeches or crawlers are a better bait. How about spinners on my lindys?

I am already in Osage (mentally). I will be at breezy point Saturday late afternoon. My message serves no other purpose other than to grouse about my wonderful week off on Straight lake. A big part of vacation is the build-up before it. I can't tell you how much I love the area. I will be on Straight lake the majority of the time so if you see a guy in a red 14 ft lund with a 9.9 evinrud and a bow mount trolling motor say hi.

• 2 weeks later...

Straight lake fishing was pretty tough when it came to Walleye and Northern. I managed a few of each but rather small. The bluegills cooperated as usual and we caught some fish pushing 1lb. I did venture down the Straight River one afternoon and managed a 17 inch brown. He was a lot of fun and is still out there for someone else to catch.

erikwells--

My brother runs a Bed and Breakfast in Osage... I wish I'd have seen your post before your trip... because I'd have told my brother you were coming up. He is an old fishing buddy of yours. Remembers something about your brother catching a northern on Nest that ended up burying a treble hook into your hand???

If you're planning on any more trips up to Osage, I can give you a few more tips. The B&B my brother runs is on a private lake loaded with gills... and some nice bass. I'm surprised you didn't run into him at the OBT. He's a regular there, and shoots on their pool league.

Small world...

Duck-o-holic

Ahh. A mate from high school. Thanks for bringing up the northern attached to the rapala attached to my fingers. I almost forgot. Duckoholic, my wife and I love the Park Rapids/Osage area. We actually went there on our honeymoon. We looked at some cabins in the area. We decided not to buy being I have my hands more than full with our hobby farm. I don't think I could afford it today the way the values have gone up in that area over the past seven years. Life is good; no more rapala issues. I hope all is well with you.

I almost forgot. I hope Matt and John are well. Thanks for the response Mike.

erik,

I think my girlfriend and I are heading up to Osage this weekend for the 4th. Will try to get out fishing I'm sure. I'll say hi to Matty for you. E-mail me and I can get you his contact info for when you head up there next. I'm sure he'd love to see you when you're up there next.

Duck-o-hoic
[email protected]

Erik & Duck,
Have a chance to fish Straight at the end of the month. Any tips on walleye fishing?
Thanks in advance!!!
TD