• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone up here fish it for walleyes? I come up there quite often for some of those tasty rainbows! If so how and what time of the year is best? Thanks for the help....

My ex-girlfriends grandparents live right next to bad medicine. The trout fishing is supposed to be awesome. I have never personally fished for them. They are speckled carp. Her grandpas friend fishes them all the time. They tried to eat a couple and I guess they were just horrible. They were really mushy. They use in-line spinners like a vibrax and fly fishing tackle.
The walleye fishing is awesome, but only if you go out at night. It is about the clearest water in the world. Have to beware at night though. If you dont bring mosquito control they will kill you. I would suggest crusing the lake during the day though to find places to fish at night. I guess some old lady caught a 17lb. walleye out of there about 10 years ago. The way her grandpa talks it used to be the best lake in the world. He has been there since the 40's. He says that it has just gone in the toliet though since they put the trout in there and all them cabins flooded out.

I've eaten many trout out of this lake and yet to have one that was mushy or foul tasting. We use down riggers about 15-35 feet down over 40-90 feet of water. I have tried eating rainbows in the late summer out of shallow water lakes such as Hanson which is near DL by Cotton lake. When the water gets warm in these shallow lakes the meat gets white and mushy. As for B.Medicine, the meat is dark orange to red and deliciuos as as any trout.

Went to BadMed last year for opener and limited on trout. In the spring when the water is cold, they hang about 4 ft from the top. No need for downriggers. Just trolled around pole in one hand & suds in the other. Not too much fishing talent needed. That’s why we are going back this year, when the fishing is easy might as well take advantage of it.

i was wandering whats the best way to fish for trout early in the year i have never done it before and would like some tips i herd that pulling cranks is a good way right now

Besides rainbows at bad medicine I’ve fished Gunflint Lake at opener and did very well. I was informed by the resort owner to troll using the brightest thing in my tackle box at about 35 ft. down. Putting out at least 100 yards of line. If nothing bites, put out more line. It worked. I was using a bright orange crank (I didn’t think it would work) with a weight about four feet in front of it. Caught my limit. Having a locator is a must because you have to determine at what depth they are suspended. During the spring time they can be at any depth following the bait fish, because the water temp is so cool. Hoped this helped a little.

Good luck

The way I fish them is simple, #12 salmon egg hook, 4lb line, splitshot and a bober, I bait it with a couple pc. of corn, and sometimes a chunk of nightcrawler. do a search for fish w/electronics, and set the bobber to the depth you see the fish, ancor up wind. its a blast! may threw june is best.