• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It won't be long!!! Do you fish it often??? What a lake to be able to fish. And to think people go to the dead sea!!! To each there own. Where do you fish on the lake? What bait do you prefer? Have you ever caught any quality smallies??? What other lakes in the area do you fish???

The Dead Sea?? I haven't fished it a ton, but have caught several very nice fish.

It's best fished in the month of June.

Smallies...I have caught several nice fish on the large point on the corner of the lake. There is also a large point with rocks bouyed that I have caught a couple of fish as well.

Can be a tough lake though and sometimes the walleyes are where you least expect them!!!!!

Geo between Garrison and wahkon. My own personal thoughts and yes I have caught alot of fish there. It sickened me to see all the dead ones go to waste. Not to mention the deployed nets. Enough on that.
Hammer em on to a better subject. YES big sand. The pt you refer to (cool ridge)??
I have yet to catch a smallie there. I did however c/r a 31" eye there last opener. Do you use live bait or cranks or plastic. I have caught them fishing for eyes on live bait.
Do you fish the culvert on emma ever? Are you from the area ? What other lakes do you fish in the area?

[This message has been edited by rippinlipps (edited 04-15-2003).]

I drove by Big Sand yesterday and it and Emma was still ice covered. The ice had lifited on big sand and was honey combed on emma.

------------------
Bob/MN

A good friend of mine has a family place there and there is some good fising to be had there. The average size walleye is probably abound 3 pounds. The DNR and fisherman have taken good care of this lake.

They use live bait rigs pretty much strictly and leeches seem to be a favorite. There are a couple big flats that produce well early and then most of the time is spent drifing the bars. Have caught smallies there by accident, but have never targeted them. Some good sized pike are in there too.

The water clarity on Big Sand is the best I have seen on any lake. Its unbelievable.

Hoping to be there on opener....

Rippin'
I live about 35 minutes away. I fish there several times a year...wish I would go more, but there are just too many good lakes.

Smallies I have caught are on livebait. Leeches especially. I have gotten a couple on rattlin' rouge's.

Biggest fish(walleye) I got out there was a 26.5" last summer. Just a gorgeous fish.
I actually have yet to catch a fish out there too keep. Funny how that goes.

I work with a guy who lives on the lake and he does well out there with jigs and shinners and lindy's and shiners. I am going to try to make it over there more this summer. Can have success pulling cranks over deep water too!!! Nights can be excellent.

Other lakes?? I don't get over there often. I have fished Island, Leech, Big Birch, and Ten Mile. Like I said, so many lakes and not enough time to fish. Let alone all the lakes that I live by in DL.

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 04-16-2003).]

Anyone got an updated report on the ice on this lake?

Any prediction if the fishing will be good on opener or will the water still be too cold?

**** - seems my diversion to keep people off the lake hasn't worked. Regarding muskie, my best recommendation is to go through the channel at the access into LAKE IDA. there is a small lake that you go through first (part of IDA) that has produced muskie for us. 17 lb. two years ago. Chances are that you'll be pulling in pike snakes though...

Danigel~~

I knew the you were just bs'ing about that not being a good lake. First of all there is no such thing as a bad lake. The worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work. Besides that, there isn't a bad lake up there. Being up there sure beats going to college in the Twin Cities. I want to buy some land up there once i am done with college. My girlfriends grandparents live west of itasca state park, and that has been some of my best fishing. I usually get up there about 7 times a year, and i cant wait to come up there in may. I will stay off of your lake though. I have my own private water to fish.

My last reply was erased so here I go again. Gel go to belle taine. I believe you could stand to catch some ****. Plus one more boat to dodge wouldnt be bad. Hammer em I agree there are to many lakes to say one of theme is great. I have so many lakes I like to fish here. I will not post them. I am sure you no why. If you wanna talk shoot me an email. What do you know about little floyd dl??

Danigel,
Thanks for the tip on the muskies. I had heard there are a few in there but I probably won't spend too much time looking for em. Don't know much about crappies on Big Sand, never caught any. Find a mucky western bay in the spring, if there is one.

Hi I have never fished Big Sand before and was wondering when the best time to get walleyes up there is? I am guessing that late may would be a good time to jig fish the shallows, but will take any advise.

Hammer em'- I was thinking about fishing Big Sand the Week after opener. Do you think Big Sand is a good place to go for that weekend? My Fiance' grandparents have a place (Right by the access) on the lake and I really thought the lake had great structure to fish for walleye. Just would love to know to start the week after Opener

Jens

To all:
BIG SAND IS OPEN. Opened this weekend from my source on the lake.

Jens,
I would say you might be a touch early, but maybe not. It typically isn't an opener lake. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be productive. With it opening up now, you might be hitting it pretty good too?
I guess that's why they call it fishing!

Any updated predictions about opener on this lake based on when the ice went out etc?

I imagine it will still be pretty darned cold...

Me and Danny may be up there...

I faired quite well in mid September last year with the eyes. I know that is too far off, but something to keep shelved!

Have fun!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

Hammerhandle, had a muskie in about the 40" range last fall but my netter wasn't able to get it into his puny net. Threw my Hot 'n Tot out the mouth as soon as he scooped.

Hey Jim,

Where you on Big Sand the second weekend of Sept last year when the temp was around 90 degrees with strong south wind? I was out there that Saturday, did well.

GEO,

Yup, I was! Then a couple days later that ugly front came through bringing the temps into the 50's and turning the bite sour!(for me at least).

First few days ever fishing Sand! That water is truly amazing!

I have another Family "shin-dig" Sept. 8-13th. Maybe I'll see some FM'ers up there!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 05-06-2003).]