• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing on Crow Wing Chain

I just bought some land on the 3rd Crow of the Crow Wing Chain. Unfortunately, I've been too busy to check out the fishing myself, but hope to get up this weekend. Has anyone been out on the 3rd Crow lately, and where would you suggest to try for bluegills or walleyes?

The sunken island in the main part of the lake are always a good bet for the eyes. i have also had luck off of the many points where the lake turns direction. i have had more luck with bluegills on 2nd crow wing, but on third i usually go on the north end of the main part of the lake by the weed beds. starting by the river all the way up that part of the shore. hope this helps
fisher13

My grandparents and uncle have been on 3rd Crow for 30 years. It is a very solid fishing lake.

BIG northern and lots of trophy walleye. Panfishing is great w/ decent crappies and numbers 3/4 lb sunnies.

We have always snowmobiled-so I dont know much about icefishing. But spring-try the 2rd crow wing (bridge) side of the lake. Both shorelines hold some big walleye for a few weaks after opener. Around Memorial day, start focusing on the sunken islands in the bigger part of the lake. There is one smaller hump between the 2 sunken islands straight out for the long concrete resort launch. The 2 points that separate the 2 main parts of the lake are good for eyes later in the year. Leeches have been good early in the year and trolling cranks around the humps and islands work all summer.

Panfish are everywhere. You can fish some REAL BIG SUNNIES in the reeds. The best way to fish is to use a bobber w/ waxies or small piece or worm only 1" under a bobber. Flip w/ a long rod or better yet, w/ a cane pole to get right into the thick weeds.

If you want to relax and have some beers-toss out a large sucker on any island or point and wait for the northern or few but quality bass.

I have never had much luck w/ crappies-but I know others do very well.

Thanks for all of suggestions. I tried sunnies around the bridge to the 2nd Crow and all that I caught was very small sunnies. Is there a better place for this? Also, you mentioned the sunken islands in the middle of the lake. Would you fish on the north or south side of the islands this time of year and what depth would you suggest? I'm hoping to get there over the weekend (Feb 1st), so any additional suggestions would be very much appreciated.