• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

INFO ON POTATO PLEASE?

My wife and I are looking to buy a resort on the lake would like as much info as possible.Walleye
Northerns
Muskie
Bass
Panfish #s for the kids
Fishing pressure
Worth spending money or continue
looking

Been to the Dnr site got some info looking to the pros now. Thankyou in advance I will let you know what happenes would love to be in that area.

Which resort? My folks have a place on the lake so I know it pretty well, but I haven't fished it much recently because I spend most of my time on other lakes chasing muskies. It's a pretty popular walleye and smalley lake, and the biggest lake in the area. If the place you looking at has a bar we'll be your best customers.

No Muskies in that lake that I know of.
I hear alot about the walleye and smallie fishing in that lake.

Keep the Muskies out! It is a good fishing lake for SM Bass, Walleyes, and some nice size Crappies and Sunfish. It has some nice stretches of undeveloped sandy shoreline for the kids to swim. I'm not sure if you can get gas at any of the resort docks but that is usually a plus. As is a bar restuarant on the lake. I have a cabin on Eagle but I come through the channel and fish Potato often. If you decide to buy it let us know.
Nels

From what I'm told and read muskies only weed out the week and injured game fish and spend most of their time feeding on ciscoes, tulibee, and perch. I don't mean to start an argument, but what does everyone else think about muskies in Potato.

It is suppose to have a pump on the lake and a little conv store. I would also put bait in but not the typical resort bait of run to town and then double the price of it. How big of draw would the gas and bait be?

Only have caught one muskie in my life and wanst even fishing for them a 45" on my 6lb walleye test faught it for 45 min the only thing that saved me was had weeds around mouth so it could not cut my line.
It was a blast!!!

I've never fished Potato. But as far as muskies go, they would greatly benefit any lake.

That being said, I wouldn't stock muskies in a lake unless I knew it was a lake that could support a quality musky fishery, as the expenses to begin a new stocking program are quite extensive.

From looking at the DNR info on this site, it looks like Potato could support an excellent musky fishery. I think there are other lakes in the state that would be much higher on my list to begin a stocking program on. But muskies would benefit Potato if money was not an issue in beginning a new stocking effort.

Muskies will help to provide a more balanced and diverse fishery, even fisheries that are already in excellent shape. There will be a lot of opposition from anglers and non anglers alike, who are not educated on the myths and the facts about muskies. Unfortunately there are a lot of myths about muskies that are very far from the truth. They get a lot of people against the existence of muskies, without knowing many actual facts.

Most lakes with muskies in them are outstanding all around fisheries, both lakes that have a native musky population and those that were introduced with muskies by stocking. The most famous lakes in the entire state (Leech, Mille Lacs, Cass, Vermillion, LOTW, Winni, Minnetonka, Bemidji...and many more) have one thing in common...they all have muskies and they are excellent, diverse, and balanced fisheries. Some of these lakes have always had muskies, some were introduced with muskies by the DNR.

AWH

agreed!!! You look at any trophy walleye lake in the state and odds are it has muskies in it. Muskies would thrive in Potato because it has the depth and the forage to substain a healthy musky popuation. Plus, it would decrease the bait fish population increasing walleyes catch ratio. Just my 2 cents.

I HAVE FISHED POTATO A COUPLE OF TIMES. I FOUND IT TO BE REALLY CLEAR WATER WITH ALOT OF GREAT SMALLMOUTH LOCATIONS. HAD SOME FRIENDS FISH IT ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND THEY CLAIMED 100+ SMALLIES A DAY FOR 4 STRAIGHT DAYS!!
I STAYED AT A RESORT WITH REALLY POOR SERVICE( I WON'T MENTION THE NAME CUZ I FORGOT). AS WITH EVERY OTHER BUSINESS IF YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK THE HOURS AND PROVIDE EXCELLENT SERVICE YOU WILL DO WELL. OTHER WISE SAVE YOUR MONEY.