• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ScottS or whomever,

I will be coming up for a short stay(Second Weekend in Sept.) with family on Little Sand and plan to fish around, more than likely Big Sand.
ANy suggestions? Looks like a lake loaded with structure.
THanks!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim, I will be on Big Sand Labor Day weekend. I will give you a fresh Big Sand report after that. I will be at our cabin the weekend of the 7th also but I am fishing Big Pine that weekend. Should be pretty good fishing!!ScottS

Hey thanks ScottS!! I will definitely be looking forward to your report and of course secret spots!!LOL

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

• 4 weeks later...

Jim, I'll let you and everyone else in on a little secret. Well it's not a secret to everyone. The frogs are on there way back to the lakes and rivers right now. Every good walleye fishermen knows that walleyes love frogs.
Try fishing in the evenings and at night. Fish along the shore in water as shallow as a foot.
In years past I've fished with a #11 to 13 rap. in colors blue, black and silver, and black and gold and have had great luck.
Many of my biggest walleyes were caught fishing this way.

One tip to remember if you do try this. Do a little scouting before the sun goes down. It helps know what the shoreline looks like and not just quess as to what it looks like.

Renneberg- what kind of shoreline should you look for on the frog run. Deep drop offs, mucky bottom, cattails, bull rushes,sand or rock? I have wanted to try this for a long time. This summer I had fun throwing frogs up on lilly pads for bass. Thank you for any advice.

Hey all,

Just returned from fishing Little and Big Sand lakes near Dorset, Mn!!!!

I don't recall fishing water as clear!!

I thought this would hinder my exploration during daylight hours, but it proved me wrong!

I keyed in on the mid/lake sunken islands and saddles that connected them. Using a cralwer harness, the active walleyes I found came out of 28 feet(give or take a foot). The responded best to chrome/silver or hammered chrome blades.

5 walleyes over 24 inches, only one fish below the slot(a 17 and a halfer). Numbers weren't there, but we managed a dozen plus!
That lake is loaded with fish. We managed large sunnies, rock bass, large and smallmouth bass, including some decent "jacks" as well!!!

First time out the wind blew from the SOuth, maintaining for a couple days. Then a front changed it to the North, North East. I thought we were finished , but we continued catching!!!

Thanks ScottS and others for suggestions! ScottS, I didn't make it over to the lake you suggested. Just not enough time!!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W