• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am going to be on the Mantrap Chain of Lakes during the week of the 4th of July. Does anyone have any suggestions which of the Mantrap lakes offer the most promising walleye fishing this time of year?

I'm looing at fishing Mantrap, Upper Bottle, Lower Bottle, Emma, Big Sand, Ida or Little Sand. Any thoughts?

I've had great luck fishing upper bottle, emma and big sand for walleyes. Emma is a great lake early in the year. The main reason is that no one fishes it early in the year, but by now it can be very crowded. Big sand is always a good bet for walleyes. Just fish around one of the main lake humps and you will catch fish. Upper Bottle is better for walleyes then Lower Bottle. Again just find the humps and you should catch walleyes. I haven't fished that lake for walleyes in quite sometime, but I've had great luck out there with walleyes and huge bluegills. The rest of the lakes I haven't fished for walleyes in them yet, but I will be fishing Ida this weekend if I can get in.

Good luck.

As far as I know Mantrap is one lake, not a chain on lakes.

Upper bottle was hot early this year but I haven't heard any reports lately. If I had to pick a lake to walleye fish it would be Big Sand. Lots of walleye and some real dandies if you can find them.ScottS

Thanks. Fished Emma on opener and caught a couple really nice ones including a 23 inch but haven't ever fished Big Sand. I will give it a try over the 4th and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a really enjoyable 4th but it was hot. We did have some luck fishing but not without a lot of work. Had a nice Muskie to the boat on Mantrap but lost it at the boat. The Walleye's were biting as well on Big Sand but found most between 25-30' deep.