• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading for Shady Lawn Resort on 5th Crow Wing this Sat. for a week. Anyone have current info on Crappie, Bluegill, Northerns, Bass, Walleye, White Whales?
Thanks,

------------------
Anyone see a white whale around here?
Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab,

You'll have a good time at Shady Lawn, it's a nice resort. Was up there over Memorial Weekend. Walleyes were around 15', crappies and sunnies just thinking about moving in shallow. Now they should be in shallow, numerous spots to fish 'em. Bass were also in shallow. Good Luck. Let me know how you do.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty,
I've been fishing 5th & 6th for about 45 years now, a week or two each year. Sure has changed since the mid 50's. The first year we came to 5th there were three resorts and half a dozen or so "cabins". On 6th, one resort and one or two cabins. Lots more rice and reeds, very difficult to get a boat through the rice in Rice Bay to get into the river above the dam. Can't really say the fishing has changed that much though.
We always came to the lake the end of July or the first to mid-end August. I've never been there in June. Anything I sould know about different fishing methods or places, June vs. August?
Thanks,

------------------
Anyone see a white whale around here?
Captain Ahab

Captain,

I would look for the panfish in shallow as I said. The point directly across from the resort is very good for multi-species. Many of the points can have walleye stacked on them from 6pm-mid. We always use a plain red hook #6, with large leech, hang it under a bobber 6"-2' off the bottom. Don't be surprised to catch some bluegills at the same time. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Rusty