• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sorry, it's just that I haven't heard anything about this lake. In fact, I don't know anyone who even fishes it.

Have fished Potato several times, but not for a couple of years. It's a very clear lake and can make daytime fishing difficult. I've had the best luck on the lake using slip bobbers out off the reefs/sunken islands around sunrise or sunset and pulling plugs on the west end at night.

Good luck.

The walleye bite on Potato is excellent right now. Because of the water clarity it is a AM & PM bite. But, it seems to be better now than I can remember it in the past. I have been on the water the last 4 days so I am just getting back online today. Leeches seemed to be the ticket for us.ScottS

Scott,
Thanks, for the information. What depth are you fishing. We Own a cabin on the west arm and will be driving up from Nebraska on Friday for a week of fighing.

• 2 weeks later...

Corn,

We will be up the fourth and my dad has had a cabin on the north shore since 1976. I have fished it every year since although the last 6-7 only sporadic over the fourth. I can say that the grand years were in the 80's and since the mid 90's, the fish population is way down on this lake. Yes, there are still walleyes and you can catch them- it used to be top notch and now is so-so at best. When I say top notch, I mean we had many 50 walleye mornings fishing mainly in late May, early June, then a little tougher in early June and then we fished at night is all I can say, after that. We got spoiled and just do not fish that hard anymore as not worth it to catch a couple when you are there with the family (now we go to Lake of the Woods). I will be there over the fourth again and am going deep in the basin for them with downriggers as my humble opinion is that the fish patterns of 10 years ago are gone along with the numbers and time to adapt. What is your take on my babbling- agree or disagree.

KJB,
The fishing on this lake has become much tougher. I beleive hat the walleye population of the 80's and early 90's are down. I have not had good walleye fishing at the lake in a number of years. But the smallmouth bass fishing in potato has been good. They are why I think the walleye fishing is so poor they feed on the walleye fry. A good lake stocking by the DNR would really help future fishing. Let me know how you do over the fourth. My folks will be at the cabin on the west arm over the 4th for 15 days. Good luck fishing