• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello, I am looking at taking my family to the Park Rapids area for the first time July 13th to July 21st. We are going to tent it, and fish, I am looking for an clean enviorment good for kids and good for fishing. I am going to bring my boat.I would love to get some ideas,names,& numbers if possible.

thanks in advance...

Allwet, I think you will find that there arent many resorts that cater to tenting anymore, they have almost all went for the RV traffic, my family and I used to go to a resort north of PR. for many years and they finaly told us last year was it, they had all the spots rented for the season to RVer's, If by chance you would be interested in a primitive type camp, I could tell you a few, not usualy the most fun for kids as there is only fishing and hiking to do. also, there is Itaska state park, probably more on the lines your looking for, Im sure they still have tent spots, best to call ahead and reserve a spot, sorry I dont have a number.

There is a small campground on Upper Bottle that has elect. water and a shower. The resort is Whippoorwhil. The lake is deep and holds good numbers of walleye not much for pan fish or bass but they are there. I mainly fish it in the spring and fall. There is a what I call a sunken island in front and to the right of the resort and straight out of the bottle neck on the lower lake there is some structure that may be a good summer spot. Mantrap lake also has a primitive camp ground the lake has crappies and is known for muskies too. If you go to whippoorwhil tell them mark said HI. good luck

Thanks to you both, I did find a place called Spruce Hills on Long Lake. If you know anything about it feel free to share. thanks again....

I have never fished it except on shore for crappies in the spring. By the maps I have seen there is alot of structure and is a good looking walleye lake. Good luck Mark

Long is a good lake. Very clean, clear and deep. It is a great walleye lake but they can be tough to fish because of the 3 factors mentioned above. It is also a very good panfish and bass lake. You won't run out of water to fish on that lake.ScottS

Delany's in Park Rapids should be able to help you out. I will be fishing some lakes real close to there this weekend. I am not sure if we will get to long or not but I will certainly let you know if I do.

I am not sure where you are coming from but the panfish are still in the shallows and the bass are still spawning. So, that should give you an idea of how far behind we are this year.ScottS

I agree with the post on Whipoorwill Resort. A nice place and lake. Crappies are fun in front of resort. Long is a tough lake to fish. Eyes will be found in the 18-35 ft range on minnows and leeches. Spinner rigs and lindy rigs. I have produced on perch shad raps also. Slowwww is key due to all the activity on the lake and clarity of water. Hard to handle all the skiing and jet skis and such during nice weather. Good luck and let us know.