• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sand for the opener

My Dad and I were thinking of fishing on Big Sand for the opener because it seemed to have good reports all of last summer. I have never fished on the lake but I looked at a map of the lake and it is full of structure. Can anyone steer me to some good areas on the lake to try for the opener or should I try a different lake?

Big Sand is the last lake in the area to spawn, in fact they are probably still running now. It is deep and clear and the opener will probably really suck on it. I would recomend you try one of the shallower lakes in the area with all this cold weather. Lake Emma is usualy a good choice with a spring like this.
Good Luck

Thanx for the warning. How about one of the Bottle Lakes just north of Big Sand?
Scott, where are you headed for the opener? The River Roost?

Lower Bottle is pretty deep and clear also but upper is a good opener lake. I don't fish it on the opener because the landing stinks, not good parking and then you get to try to get your boat about a block out on the lake through weeds, its real shallow. The reason I recomended Emma is a lot of the walleye running out of big sand end up in emma for awhile. A lot fish are caught from shore right at the access.
Good luck

Loco, did you fish Emma? It was a tough one for us too. We fished Big Blueberry because it is shallow and usually heats up early. No such luck this year. Couple small fish caught in the AM but that was it for the day.ScottS

We fished Skunk Lake for Crappies on Sat. and caught nothing but Bass. Then on Sun. AM we fished on Eagle Lake. Caught two norskies and a nice perch. We saw a few Walleyes caught but unfortunatly not in my boat.