• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone fished for the brown trout in the straight on opening weekend? How bad is the crowd. I've heard it can be shoulder to shoulder at the road crossings. Is it like that at ever road crossing or just a few. I've just started fishing the river last year and I've been told by everyone that there are huge trout in there. The biggest one I've heard about was a 28 incher caught by the dnr. Has anyone caught one bigger then that or seen one bigger? How heavy would you say that fish was. I'm guessing anywhere from 10 to 14 lbs, because the fish that I have caught have been so fat.
Thanks for any info.

Steven

------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Capt,
The Straight was once my favorite trout stream, actually still is but have not gotten a chance to get up there in the last few years.
The first 2 years I fished it, 95-96, it was pretty quiet except for the road crossings. I usually would walk downstream about 1-2 miles, then I would begin to fish walking against the current.
For those first years I did not see a soul until I got closer to the road. Then Ron Schara had to go and write a big article on the river and it went to heck, counted 20 rigs at one crossing and fisherpeople all along my favorite streches.
I even saw a couple with a MONTANA lic plate at the road (I always wonderd why they would come here to fish trout....strange) in full Orvis gear, etc.
The numbers and size of fish went south as well after the article, and I have not fished it for almost 2 years now so I couldnt tell ya how it is now. Good luck and let us know the conditions if you go.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

GullGuide I can tell you that it's not like ta all year. I ran into a guy from Fargo and he said that he fishes the river almost every weekend during the year and he said that he sees about 1 or 2 people every month. He said the same thing you did about the crowds, but he also said that after the walleye opener he hardly sees anyone. I can also tell you that the fishing is still great.

I floated that river about mid-August 12 years ago in a kayak. Didn't see a soul. It sounds like things have changed dramatically. Is anyone fishing with spinner baits? grin.gif

I've fished the river with spinners and have done quite well. Some of the people that I've talked to, that have fished the river for years, say that the bigger the blade on the spinner the better. The trout seem to like the big flash. Hope this helps.

I have never fished the river on opener, but I get up there every year, and by June it is usually forgotten about by the locals, and is very peaceful.

There are some spots that I would be very surprised if more than one or two people actually fish in a year. If you have an older road map you may be able to find a spot that has held very large trout in the past, you need to walk threw some private land to get there but they used to let me walk down there, But if you ever stumble across the remains of an old wooden bridge fish that area hard!!! LuckyRedHat do you remember floating past it?

The swaps/marshes in streches in areas keep the weak of heart away. And I have stumbled across deer, bear, and porcipine, even remember they thought they had a big cat along that strech a few years ago, locals may remember the horse that was killed.

Another area that holds big trout is where the Straight and Fishhook come together, Trout, Walleye, Smallies, and Northerns all at the same spot. SWEET! Take a canoe!

Greg

Sarge, where's the old bridge at? Just like a idea of where it is. I'm new to trout fishing in that area but not new to the sport of trout fishing. Fish the Park Rapids and Nevis area for 16 years now, but last year was the first time fishing the straight.

Renneberg, exploring is half the fun!!! I wouldn't want to take that away from you. smile.gif

Lets just say that its between HWY 71 and Osage. And the bigger the lure the better, it will help keep the chubs and shiners away.

Hope you guys have fun on the opener!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sarge,
I will be fishing the straight this friday, I will let you know how We did, hopefully I will have good news come monday.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been out lately? The Walleyes have moved off to deeper depths so the river looks like a good option.

I'm going to be up there next weekend and I'm going to try and get to the Straight and fish the hex hatch. I'll let you know how I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry everyone. I didn't make it to the Straight. Got a report from my cousins about a hot walleye bite. Caught my limit of nice eaters, so it ways worth it.

I'll be up there next weekend for four days. This should be enofe time for me to get some time in at the Straight. I hope the hex hatch is still going. I'll keep everyone posted on how I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great time fishing the Straight. I only caught two trout but the smallest was 24 inches! I had the lower half of the river all to myself. The river sure has changed with all the rain they go two weeks ago.

Great report! If I tied into a Brown over 24" with the little ultalight rod I use, I'd still be out there!
Did you catch them on floating raps? wink.gif

No, I got them on flies.
It looked as if the upper part of the river still has the hex hatch going. I'm just guessing because of all the fly fishermen that were getting ready to go out at 8:30pm. Every crossing above 117 had at lease two cars parked there. I'll warn you now, the blood suckers are going to be bad by next weekend, so bring alot of bug spray.

This fall I'll use floating raps again, because the really big browns will be lookin for a big meal before spawning.

I'd warn you that you'll need a bigger rod for those big browns. If you are lucky enofe to hook one you'll want to have a rod that can handle that power. It could cost you the fish of a life time.

Sarge how did you fair on the Straight?
I read a article in the Star and Trib about the Straight. The guy they talked to caught 3 browns over 20 inches in one night!

Hey all,

Just returned from a week of relaxing and fishing in the park Rapids area, The first three miles down stream from Osage was in great shape, lots of 12-14inchers on gray rooster tail spinners, one nice 18" on a floating rap (jerk and pause technique).

I spent an afternoon further down stream, in some spots I have caught large trout, with little success, the water was abit to warm? Or the fish just were not there? Only one around 16" on a rap. And the biting flies were worse than the skeets.

Renneberg, you find the old bridge yet?

No not yet. I've been working just one area of the river so far this year. I'm slowly putting together a pattern for catching those big browns, and as you can see its working.
I think your right about the water temp. I think its to warm for the trout during the day. Once september comes the temps should be down and the big browns active during the day.