• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We will be on Deer Lake for a week starting July 3rd. We are wondering what the mayfly status is and what the water level is. We we there the same time last year and really enjoyed it. Is everything running a little behind normal as far as the seasonal conditions?
Any other info will be appreciated.

Thanks & keep the bobber bobbing!

Sorry, I am talking about the Deer Lake just South of Moose Lake. Northeast of Deer River, Northwest of Grand Rapids.
Thanks.

Water levels are a little obove last year. Water temps are in the low 60's. I have'nt seen any significant mayfly hatch yet.
What will you be mainly fishing for?

[This message has been edited by esoxmn (edited 06-23-2004).]

Thanks for the response "esoxm". We will probably fish the humps at night for walleye and smallies. During the day we might check out the bay by the boat landing for large mouth.
I would like to find the old boat launch on the east side. I have been told that you can find some nice crappie there. Any ideas where that is?
If you have any more ideas let me know.
I am dissapointed to hear the Mayfly hatch has not hit Deer yet. According to another post it hit Moose early last week so I thought may be it would have passed by the time we get there.
Thanks again!!

Thanks Gary.

Let me know if you hear anymore. And let me know if you know about the old boat launch on the east side.

Thanks.
Jay

I don't know where the old boat launch is, but ill see if i can find out.

Mayflies have hatched. Been here a week and have not been able to get on lake yet because of high winds. Old access is on east side of lake. If you know where Bear island is, go to south of that into Wilcox bay. Old access is north of the bay past sand beach near white boathouse. Water shallow so be careful. Pick up a hotspots map for Deer Lake. Hope this helps.

I've had some trophy size bass follow up while muskie fishing on the flat just east of battle ship island.

------------------
Gary

Was on Deer Last week and there were quite a few mayflies around....not a major hatch but probably most of them. Hope this helps!

Thanks one and all for your posts. Your information is very helpful. leegs1. are you on Deer a lot? If so, and you would like to share any other info, please do so. You can e-mail me direct if you would like.
[email protected]

Thanks again to all!!

I just got back. It looks like the walleye bite is going pretty good, saw alot of people with stringers. the boat landing bay was full of panfish and bass. The mayflies are still hatching, but not in big numbers.

------------------
Gary

Getting pack up and ready to leave on Friday afternoon. Any last minute reports??

Thank You.

Big Time mayfly hatch Sunday night...Mayflys everywhere.

We just returned from Deer Lake. Cold and rainy most of the time. BUT, Thursday morning 11:37 A.M. during partly cloudy conditions we boated a 29" 10 lb Wally using a crappie jig and leech.
It made the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your imput.

Jay

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Bobberwatcher
      I don't see ice going out til April. Some more 50 degree temps on the way, but still getting near or below freezing most nights and an extended forecast I saw is showing highs around 30 and even some single digit lows at night for the last couple weeks March. Little if any rain too. 
    • Bobberwatcher
      I don't see ice going out til April. Some more 50 degree temps on the way, but still getting near or below freezing most nights and an extended forecast I saw is showing highs around 30 and even some single digit lows at night for the last couple weeks March. Little if any rain too. 
    • CigarGuy
      Looks like there's plenty of ice still in Spring Bay! Kids snowmobile racing.
    • BWpineisland
      My wife is in total agreement with yours. I love the quiet and remoteness, my wife hates the ice travel!
    • SkunkedAgain
      There aren't a lot of cabins in the bay to begin with, a whole other bonus! For the folks on the south side of the bay, it's an access issue as well. People in general are less likely to go in the winter when you don't have road access, because now you introduce ice conditions, snow depth, darkness, cold, and other factors into the trip. While I have always enjoyed those challenges, it is much different to drive up on a Friday night and pull up to your place versus get there at 10pm, unload machines and gear, and go across the lake at night with gear in tow. I love it. My wife hates it. My daughter is in the middle.   Enjoy it up there.
    • smurfy
      yea that ice looks like its about on its last leg!!!!
    • Rick G
      Being we had a few hours of weather cold enough to make ice I decided to check out one of the small shallow lakes in the St Cloud area.  Ice was in surprisingly good shape this morning, had about 6-7 inches of hard ice again.   Found a pretty decent bite in 8-11 ft of water.  Crappies were riding high in the water colom while sunfish remained close to the bottom for the most part.  Best bait for me was a 3mm motoroil/chrome with a impulse mayfly. By mid afternoon we could definitely tell the ice wasn't as firm as it was in the morning. By the time we left at 4pm I had put all thoughts of returning tomorrow morning out of my mind.  At no point did I feel unsafe, we were prepared for whatever, floatation suits, ropes and ice picks at the ready😏😁.  Today was definitely my last day on the ice for the yr...next stop, spring carp/suckers😁   VID_20240229_150704553.mp4
    • Rick G
      Just trying to make as little noise as possible once holes have been drilled.  
    • CigarGuy
      I take my sxs all the way down Phillips Rd. road to Cains driveway and turn around at the entrance to Laura's and her son's Brian's driveways, Brian bought Davey Crockett's old place.(I think that was his name). You see them fishing on his dock at the beginning of the narrow part of the channel heading in Black Bay. They have the only 2 driveways that are plowed during the winter down Phillips Rd. My neighbor, whom you met, used to plow his boat house road so we access the lake easier in the winter for ice fishing, but he doesn't ice fishing much anymore, so just sleds down that road. I think I know who lets you access the lake, nice of him. I'm surprised more people in Black Bay don't use their places in the winter. I'm heading up in the morning!
    • chucker1101
      I drove on I-35 over Albert Lea Lake on Jan 5. It wasn't even partially frozen, and it's like 6-8 ft average depth or something like that. Those lakes in Sourthern Minnesota didn't even get 2 months of ice this year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.