• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grand Rapids Winnie fishing report 5-24-04

Winnie is on the move. The fish are finally starting to make their move to the big lake. You can look for fish now on the main break, Bena bar and the humps. They are biting on leeches, Minnows and even crawlers. Now just because they have started moving out to the deeper water don’t think that you can’t catch any fish in the weeds because the shoreline bite will stick around all year. So some of the normal shoreline bites are still going strong with mallard to ravens still one of the best places to start. Other area lakes are starting to really pick up also, so if you get blown off Winnie or just want a change of pace try some of these lakes. Bowstring , sand, trout,Pokegama,Splithand are all starting to really go right now. It is the same fishing look for the windy sides of the lake look for a developing weed line and give them a shot.
I saw some beautiful catches of Bluegills again this week off cutfoot and little cutfoot. I know a lot of the area lakes the panfish are going pretty good right now.
So if you get a chance get up here to our beautiful area and check out some of the best fishing around. When you get that mess of fish to fry up try our new batter Fishing Fever all purpose fish batter or Charlies gone fishing all purpose batter, you wont be disappointed.
Good luck fishing

Good luck fishing
Jason Boser
Fishing fever guide service
218-327-2191
[email protected]

I'm sorry some people dont like the posts I put out about what lakes are going strong and which ones are not. But this site is about info for the other bunch that are not fortunate to live up here and only get out once or twice a year. So if it helps out great. When people come up to our area I want them to catch fish and enjoy themselves so they keep coming back.
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

I too would like to thank Jason for the posts. Want to protect the fishing, then what is wrong with the slot? 15-17 inch fish are just right if you want to keep some.

Great to hear that you stopped the illegal activities, people like that give us all a bad name.

And really, most of these lakes discussed (Winnie, cutfoot, jessie, bowstring, sand, pokegema, etc.) are not your quiet unknown lakes. And the reports aren't so detailed to give it all away. Fish bowstring along the weedline? That could be anywhere along the 15-20 miles of shoreline. Not as if Jason says, GPS coord. X and Y, 1/4 oz. jig in 10-13 feet of water, go take a bucket full. There is still plenty of investigation required.

Thanks to both for your honest posts, and hopefully with a few ethical, hardworking fishermen we can all keep our good name, and the great fishing.

Like Jason I like to give out information, I enjoy watching people get fish. Last weekend showed a boat where to fish and they had a blast 15" - 16" walleyes.

As for the slot, it will protect our lakes from those out of staters and even some of the big city fishermen. I have personally seen 21-26 walleyes pulled out of jessie this year, and most of them from outstaters that are here for one or two weekends a year. The locals will know where to fish for the eaters.

I would also like to thank Jason and every other Pro-Staffer or FM Family member that posts reports and results. Just because you found a couple of IL fisherman fishing illegally isn't a problem with the FM site!!! The problem is they're poachers!!! Did you call TIPS? I don't want this to bcome a P------ Match, but I believe the reason this site is so popular is that people do share experiences and tactics for fishing. Keep in mind, just because someone passes on a tip on a lake doesn't mean you are going to catch fish, remember the old saying, "you should have been here yesterday"?

Ole

I grew up listening to my father tell stories aobut the excellent fishing and all the other experiences he had at Jessie in the 1960s and 70s. He said repeatedly that if ever given the opportunity, he would jump at the chance to go there again. I have never been to Jessie, but based on those stories, I booked our family vaction there this summer. I'm new to this forum and glad I found it. I have fished in MN for more than 20 years, and I'm only 35. I hope this forum can help me find some fish so my sons can start memories of their own "up north".

Every state with a resource in demand has the don't tell the non-locals crowd. We have them in the deer and pheasant crowd and it always bugs me. They want the money for the local shops, but don't want the non-locals to use the resource.

Our vacation will cost around $1,500. We could have chosen a number of places to go, but we chose Jessie. I'm sure the retail shops will be glad we did.

We appriciate all that come up north to fish. Unfortunatly their are some that take fishing a little to seriously. Lets have fun and get to knoweach other out on the water.

[This message has been edited by jessielake67 (edited 06-16-2004).]

Thanks Jason, the info is appreciated. I'm sure some of the Minnesotans don't appreciate us tourists fishing your favorite lakes, but I am pretty confident the big bucks I have spent up there these past 20 years has allowed for a few fish to be re-stocked. Especially us selective harvest/catch and release guys. What you got to do is start smoking the poachers without mercy. That message will travel fast.

Keep up the good work Jason!

------------------
"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt

We are staying at Three Cedars in mid July. I know that is not the primetime to fish, but hopefully we can find some perch and pike (too hot for walleyes?). Every MN fishing trip I've taken has been in May except for one Sept. trip to Mille Lacs - a major bust saved by an excellent perch bite.

The main focus for me and my group is to have a good time, smell the fresh air and listen to the Loons. I brought my son (age 15) along on a trip to Leech last year and he loved it. Unfortunately, a return trip didn't work out this year.

Like I said, the main focus will be swimming and the little kids (3 year old and 9 month old). But, any info on where and when to fish and what is the hot bait is appreciated.

Thanks

mklem.....
Plenty of perch and hammerhandles to keep ya busy. Fish the bullrush edges for both species. The walleye will be most anywhere, weed edges, sunken islands, or suspended over the deep basin. Best choices at that time of year would be to work a leech or crawler. Good luck and have fun!

mklem,

You will have a great time at Three Cedars, Good beach for the kids, it stays shallow for a ways out. When it gets closer to that time put out a post. I one the other hand will be the list, the honey do list. Will start back on Jessie in sept. caught a couple of nice notherns last weekend. Anything red with a minnow or rapalas.