• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My buddy has a cabin in Remer area on Vermilion. Each season we been searching for smaller lakes to try for crappies and eventually walleyes at opener. The last 2 years we tried Split Hand and Jessie. Only to go to the launch the first day we get to the cabin to check out the launch. We ended up not being able to launch on either since the water was too low and settled for bigger water. Is the water level up any better to go back to those two lakes or does anyone have any other smaller lakes that we should try. Boat we have is a Pro V 1800 w/ 135 Optimax. Any information willbe appreciated.

what town is that lake closest to? do they have an public access that I can get my boat in?

Thanks!
may the fish be with you

what a joke!!!!!!
checked out dora on dnr site and from the looks of it, sounds like dora is a carp & bullhead hole. I thought this was an informational site not one that would mis-lead people....you can do better than that.

Actually I have caught a few fish out of dora... and they werent carp or bullhead.
I usually fish the Bigfork from dora to Wirt and do really well on the Pike and Jumbo Perch.
This site is full of good info, Maybe this person wasnt trying to mislead you. There are tons of good smaller lakes in the area. I have about 3 or 4 that I fish all the time. There are some really good map books that you can buy, they will definetly help you make a better decision on where to go.

------------------
Bring on summer!

How about you find out for yourself? If you looked any further you would have noticed that the Big Fork river flows in and out of Dora lake. You could prolly catch anything from Muskie - Walleye, perch and sunnies in Dora. You never know. Drop a small boat in and find out. . .

Yea, I can do better than that! It was just a sugestion based on my personal experience. But it sounds like you got it all figured out now.

Willowcat....

my apologies to you...

i did look at the map of minny & checked out the dnr website and found that the lake's depth max was approx. 18 feet. Which led me to belive the lake would go through winter kill each year. I will keep searching for other lakes and look in to Dora and post future feedback for all you forum users.

thanks and sorry!

It has been a couple of years, but I limited out on nice eater size walleyes on Dora just after the opener several times. Dora is good for Walleyes, you just have to know where to fish them.

Not a problem, I'm just trying to help out. I've taken limits of Crappies and nice walleyes out of that lake in past years, not to mention big northerns as well. I got some friends that had a cabin on that lake a few years back, they always did well fishing it. I don't know how many Dora Lakes there are in the northern part of the state, but just so we're on the same page I'm refering to the one in Itaska County. N.W. of Squaw Lake- north of Sand Lake. Hwy 29 crosses over the north end of the lake.

Willow Cat's correct.
Dora Lake can be a great lake......and it's OPEN NOW.
There's a good chance I'll be perch fishing there tomorrow grin.gifgrin.gif
It's also got a healthy walleye and northern population.
Dora also has a good boat ramp and parking lot.

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 04-23-2004).]

Dora is the greatest lake ever I think it is the only lake I will fish this year. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I cant resist sarcasm...

Seriously,
How about fishing from the bridge, I often see a lot of people fishing at the bridge what do they catch and would this time of year be good fishing there.

Yes jessie has been low the past few years, hard to get the boats in and out. Have you been going to public landing or out of a resort? I will be up a Jessie next weekend I will check out water level.

Thanks again for the in-put.

All you that have replied.

Have really changed my opinion on the website since my toilet mouth ran wild. Jessielake67 if you can, that would be great if you could tell what the access & water level is like. We tried the resort access and it was too shallow to put in.

may the fish be with you!

The ice blew off Jessie on sat. morning. The water is up from last fall,but we could still use some rain before opener. The forest service blew up the beaver ****s north of the lake last week to help the walleye spawn.

------------------
jessieview.com

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.