• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

MNBIGBEAR

Just wondering if the suckers have started running anywhere yet. Thanks.

bmc

Mud/Goose dam, southwest of Deer River. Take Hwy 2 west of Deer River about 4 miles then right on County Road 18. Go about 2-3 miles and cross the bridge, continuing on 18, then take the 1st black top on the right, it goes along the river and will bring you to the dam. Suckers have been in there for a week, it's also a good bull head spot. Otherwise, Hwy 2 bridge east of Grand Rapids is always good.

bmc

snowfighter

I don't think you can spear or net suckers until May 1st unless I miss something new in the fishing laws.

jigglestick

no, but you most certainly can catch then on hook and line. small tributaries to the main rivers that heat up easily with sun and rain form warm water areas tha can harbor alot of fish just downstream of where they dump into the rivers. other natural barriers such as rapids, the insides of points can slow them down just enough for them to take a look at a tastey night crawler that may be dangling on your hook! smile.gif

------------------
an "all chapters, charter member" jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

bassman222

Is there any other places where one might have a chance at catching suckers?

Thanks

Bassman

mwktrapper

Like BMC said, the Prairie River under Highway 2 is pretty good. Another pretty good spot is on the Mississippi in town. I usually walk down from the library there.

mnwild14

Anyone know of spots around Nashwauk/Pengilly area. I thought they ran out of swan. But I have never been able to see them or know where to catch them. Any thoughts

Esoxmn

One spot is the twin briges where the river comes in and out of crooked lake, also there is a small creek on the east side of swan they usually run later there.

dafishinman

esxomn, i was just wonderin but u meant the Crooked lake just N of Nashwauk right?? If it is then i know where the twin bridges are....i just never knew there were suckers running in there.
I have little idea for suckers...in Keewatin theres a little creek its called Welcome Creek otherwise known as sh*& creek. It has suckers in it...used to spear many many at a time...but they run from mine water so gotta becareful when eating them...hope this helps!!

dafishinman

mnwild....i have heard they run in Hay creek and O'brien creek at Swan Lake. Ive never fished for them there but I have heard reports from there.

mnwild14

Someone had posted above about not being able to spear until May 1, is that true? I thought you could spear them now. I will go look on the DNR Site as well.

bmc

Spring spearing for suckers is always May 1st, has been ever since I can remember. I would think this spring's sucker spearing will be real good, as they're just starting to run now.

Brian

Esoxmn

dafishinman
Yes that is the Crooked lake. I have heard there are people fishing there,but dont know how there doing.

MNBIGBEAR

I was at the twin bridges a few evenings ago. I wasnt able to get a spot on the bridge and watched the guys on the bridge pull in about a dozen or so. Most of the fish they caught were about an hour before dark or so. I tried farther down the river and had a few light bites but didnt hook anything.

Esoxmn

i fished Hay creek on sat, only got two. There were quite a few pike in there so it should'nt be long.

rockhardinmn

You guys from the Nash area should know of the railroad grade area south of town. there is some creeks along there that you can get suckers out of .there is a number of spots along the dike area also that are good.

On Crooked,, If the bridge was crowded i have tried right on the point between the 2 rivers and done well also

bmc

Mud/Goose was loaded w/ them today. I've never, ever seen suckers like that. A snagger's dream! grin.gif It looked like you could walk across the river on their backs. I heard the CO's were handing out "gift certificates" to the snagger's so, save yourself some $ and do it the legal way.

Brian

bassman222

BMC:

Have you had any luck catching them at Mud/Goose? I have been there a couple times this year and cannot get a bite out of them. Tried on the dam(with my crawler hanging right in their faces), and along the shoreline on both sides of the dam-nothing.

Going to try some holes on the Miss today after class.

Bassman

bmc

They're still pounding them at Mud/Goose. A buddy of mine was there yesterday and he said the "legal" fisherman were catching them darn near one after the other. The snagger's were also having a field day. The CO's have been there tagging the snaggers, so do it the legal way.

Brian

bmc

Was at Mud/Goose yesterday and there was quite a few people. I was watching a guy catch sucker after sucker with a lead head jig and bright colored mister twister body. All caught legally in the mouth. I tried the old lindy rig and crawler and caught about 20-30 4-6" bull heads....perfect cat bait size, if I lived in an area with big cats. I talked to a couple old timers that were fishing perch and it's been real slow this spring down there for 'em....they said the water is too low? I'm not sure, but I think that may just be an excuse? LOL Lots of snake northerns in there too.

Brian

bassman222

BMC thanks for the sucker reports.

Bassman

jonny_redhorse

hey all!....i've been getting tons of suckers at the dam on the st'louis river in forbes(new taconite plant laywu steel formaly eveleth tac).just got back a little while ago...caught about 25 or so....kept 6 big red horse about 2-3 pounds a piece..also caught some common silver suckers...caught em all on a 1/8 ounce yellow and orange jig baited with a crawler with a 1/2 ounce lead further up the line..lost a few also.....great fun to feel those fish fighting....lol!...ground em up and made fish patties out of em....pretty tasty with lettuce- tomato- mayo -and dill pickles on a bun...i took some pics of em on the rocks but not real sure how to display em on this site.......thanks....jonny

jonny_redhorse

here's the pics of the red horse suckers........trying a pic ......jonny redhorse

2004_0430suckers0003copy.jpg