• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just putting a message up for anyone to give me a heads up when the smelt start to run in Suger Creek. And also if anyone knows where else to go get some.(besides Lake Superior)

Thanks and good fishing
The Walleye

My buddy bought his fishing license last spring on April 22, we were getting a few smelt that night on Sugar. We never hit the peak of the run, but ended up with an ice cream pail full for 3 of us. That's plenty, I just freeze them in 6's for gator, laker, and catfish bait. They may run a bit earlier though, especially if this warm weather keeps up.

Brian

The best run we hit last year was on April 26. We started getting a few smelt as early as 2 weeks before that day, but only a few then. With this warm weather, they will be starting to run very soon. If you want to get away from the crowds at the creek, put a boat in the water and pick an island with a sandy point or bar sticking out. There are several of these on Pokegama that will get a lot of smelt moving up on them. The smelt that run up the creek are only a small percentage of the smelt within that lake. They are just very accessible there at the creek. I'll post when we start to get some.

bmc,
Hey brian how have you been? I'm in the great state of PA. for a few more days will be home on Easter. Drop me an e-mail at the start of next week I would like to head up your way for a night and do some Smelting. Maybe we can make some plans for a night of smelting in Duluth and Loopers in the morning.
Talk to you soon, Thomas (BD110)

Me and a buddy are planning on checking the smelting area's on Friday the 16th. It may be a bit early, but ya' just never know.

Brian

bmc,
Happy to see your reply I was starting to think there was no life on the Grand Rapids Forum grin.gif I will not be at work after you check on things Friday tell next week so I won't be able to check my e-mail. I hope you still have my cell number if not post or e-mail by Wednesday and I'll send it to you. I might be in Rapids on the 26th and 27th of this month for training I'll let you know.
Talk to you soon. Thomas (BD110)

BD110 they are coming in on our points. Not huge but some. How about Friday night?

This is generally the time we start seeing them in sugarbrook maybe even a little earlier. I plan on going down as soons as i can. even if its just to sit by the fire and shoot the wind. thats realy what smelting is all about anyways.

Visited the creek last night. The water is very low and there is still ice on the edges. There are some spots where the water is barely flowing because it is so low. Nobody out there yet. Saw a few shiners, that's it.

Thanks for the info trapper. I think we're still gonna head down on Friday night, just getting antsy, if ya' know what I mean! It was my first time smelting last year and we had a blast. I only got out once and we ended up with half an ice cream pail for 3 of us. I just like to get a few for winter 'gator and laker bait, and summer cats' too. I'll post a report on Saturday. I'm on nights next week so I'm sure they'll be running then......dammit.

Brian

Brian, I will also be out there tonight. With the 68 degree weather, the rain and the heavy winds yesterday, our ice is really coming off. This warm weather should trigger them to run here very soon. We'll have to meet up out there tonight.

Sounds like a plan, probably in a white full size older Ford F-150. Gonna leave Deer River around 9. Probably won't be out too long, put a very long day in today at work already and have to work all weekend. See ya out there trapper.

Brian

i'd have to say one week guys. lots of ice, but she's gonna go fast this week i think.
i remember smelting in the brook with ice still on the lake, but just scab ice wandering around, and open for the most part.
i will start checking midweek i think.

------------------
an "all chapters, charter member" jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Where were you sittin BMC? I didn't expect all those people out there already. Like you said, a few ran right after ten. But once everyone left and it calmed down some, they ran a little harder. At about one they ran pretty decent for being as early as it was. We ended up with about an ice cream pail. Will be out in the rain tonight, that'll be a fun one.

nope, not me. been up to my elbows getting chores done so i can hit the fun stuff coming up before work really kicks in. you would have known me, i would have thrown your perch back when you weren't looking grin.gif
glad to hear they're starting already.
i hope we get the rain they are talking about. that will warm the water up a little, and help shake the ice!
it won't be long now smile.gif

------------------
an "all chapters, charter member" jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

So whats the people situation at the creek. I imagine there coming outta the woodwork about now. Thinking about heading down there when the people thin out so I would appreciate a heads up, thanx.

Trapper,
Me and my buddies, who didn't bring their stuff, were on the west side of the creek at the mouth. I was the one closest to the lake, putting the smelt in my coat pocket, being I forgot the bucket. LOL I'm stuck on nights now, so I'm not sure when I'll be out again. Keep me posted though!

Brian

They're starting boys! I was down there lasat night for about an hour, 10-11 and ended up w/ 10. My buddies and I were just checking things out so I donated those to some guys that were next to us. It will only get better from here on out. Hey Jigglestick, was that you the other day at Mud/Goose? That was me with the stringer of perch and suckers. I thought the only place you frequented was Red or the West Winds! grin.gif

Brian

They did not run hardly at all last night. They should run very well once all this rain and crap stops. For people, there was anywhere from 20-30 vehicles there, mostly for the big party. The parties seem to be closer to the road as you'll see the more serious smelting going on towards the mouth.

My buddy and his brother dip netted about 4 gallons last night. Matter of fact, eating some right now. YUM, YUM! He said not alot of traffic downt here last night either. I hope they run into next week, night shift's suck at this time of year! grin.gif

Brian

went down to the creek tonight. quite a few cars for a tuesday night early in the season.not much action though we only stuck around till midnite. it was raining pretty steady. maybe they are running good right now?? some of my best times have come from 1:00 - 3:00 a.m. after the crowds back off.
got some on a sandy shoreline area that roadkill told me about last year. first pull 2. second pull 2 dozen. third pull 6 fourth pull 3 fifth-sixth-seventh pull zero.
went down to another private sandy spot, and got a half dozen in three pulls.
they are not running hard at all yet, but they are thinking about it.
this weekend, with some sun, it should be good. i think my waders are smaller than last year confused.gif

------------------

They ran hard Sunday night after the rains and crowds left. One guy got 20 dozen in about 40 minutes, with just his girlfriend. They started to run right after all of the crowds cleared. Of course, I missed it. Monday night, we probably got a 1/4 a pail. So if you hear that a Keller is down at the creek, I'd pack up and leave cause they don't like to run when they know I'm waiting for them. Go get 'em.

i have got to say, since i was never a part of the great smelting hay day of the lake superior run, this has been the best run i have ever encountered. the last two days have been outstanding!! i'm not talking about dipping nets in the creek with the rest of the circus, but pulling seins on sandy lake shore edges.
any body want to go, now is the time, and they are there to be had.
just pick yourself a sandy area some where around the shores of poky, and wait til just about dark, and start pulling. it's nuts how many there must be in there.
i have my fill, now i'm going to start looking for more places to go.
how did the creek run last night?
anybody want to post?
what a blast!

------------------

Meant to say 20 gallons, not dozen. Little bit of a difference there. I talked to some guys who did very well at the beach Thursday night, filling an Otter sled full. They said some runs with the sain gave them up to 3-5 gallons full. That's a lot of smelt.