• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows for sure how long it's OK to keep fish fillets in the refridgerator. Obviously, the fresher the better. Lot's of people have different opinions on this. I recently kept some fillets in the fridge for 4 days--they smelled OK but they seemed a little soft. Think this is too long?

I'd say that is probably the maximum life time in the fridge. If you are planning on eating fresh fish, but don't in the first couple days after filleting, just freeze them, they still taste great later, I just got done with some craps and gills a minute ago. Make sure u double wrap them in freezer bags or water freeze them to prevent freezer burn, fish are really sensitive to freezer burn if not packaged correctly.

If your going to keep fish in the fridge for more then a few hours, don't let em sit in water. Sitting in water promotes bacteria growth and will advance the fish to the quality unaccpetable to eat.
I don't wash the fish well but enough to get the slim off. place them in baggie and force the air out of the bag. place them in the fridge with the intention to prepare them with in a few days. They will stay good in the bag. Other wise freeze em to protect them. and if frezzing, freze them in water to protect from freezer burn.
45 years of doing the above and I haven't wasted fish yet. CT

If your going to keep fish in the fridge for more then a few hours, don't let em sit in water. Sitting in water promotes bacteria growth and will advance the fish to the quality unaccpetable to eat.
I don't wash the fish well but enough to get the slim off. place them in baggie and force the air out of the bag. place them in the fridge with the intention to prepare them with in a few days. They will stay good in the bag. Other wise freeze em to protect them. and if freezing, freeze them in water to protect from freezer burn.
45 years of doing the above and I haven't wasted fish yet. CT