• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to Winnie this weekend. Where is the best place to pick up bait? I've heard that the LARGE red tail chubs and shiners are what I should be using. I've also heard that many of the resorts are no longer carrying much bait? Any suggestions?

Hey Fish Head. If you are going through Grand Rapids, the ONLY place to get bait, in my opinion, is Rapids Tackle. They are on the far West end of town about 5 blocks past the large wharehouse liquor store on the North side of Hwy 2. Always great bait and excellent advice.

Ben's Bait is the choice of most around here, including most of the guides. It's right on the north side of the main drag just past Ogles Foods as you're heading west.

River Rat just west of Cohasset on Hwy. #2 has bait,gas and tackle,there is Fred's in Deer River too.

Thanks for all the good info guys. Do you know off hand if any of them have large red tail chubs (aprox 4")??

It is a hard time of year to get "redtails" but it seems large rainbows work just as well on Winni or Cutfoot. You can get them or Shinners at Fred"s in Deer River. Good luck fishen.