• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How's the fishin' been around GR lately? A group of us will be staying around the Marcell area all next week and was wondering on the reports in the area. Are the bass and northern active? Thanks, Coach Dog

Fished a half dozen smaller lakes around Marcell last week and the bass were hitting everything we put in the water, from heavy suckers to sunfish jigs. We weren't fishing for bass but caught a lot of them. The northerns were also active. Haven't been out since the rain but if it is anything like last week you should have a blast. Good luck!!!!

Coach Dogger,

Good to see you'll be in the area over the next week. I'll be back and forth a little bit, but I should be around. Maybe I'll see you in at Richie's. If you're lookin' for a fishin' buddy, look me up.

Anyone know if fish are using sunken islands yet in deeper waters up in that neck of the woods? The spot I'm thinking of usually doesn't heat up until about this time of year. I'll try regardless and let everyone know how I did on Monday.

Keep those lines wet and those rods bendin'!

Iron Man

Thanks for the report there Merc. Sounds like the fish are pretty active. That might have changed w/ the recent weather, but we'll be up there for 10 days so I'm not worried.
And Iron Man,
I will see you at Ritchie's!

Coach Dog

The walleye have moved out to the midlake humps on the lakes I fished last week. Sure was easier fishing when they were hanging on the shallow flats earlier in the season but we still managed to get some fish. I've probably seen you guys at Richies as I have been known to frequent the place. Good luck fishing!!!

Well if you fellas are at Richie's on Saturday night, I'll buy you both a round! Good luck out there!

Iron Man

Coach dog- dont you have place on BIG OLE? I might be mistaking you with someone else. I have a place on BIG ISLAND, someone has been keeping a boat{s} on forest land, and I have been wondering who it might be. Maybe the resort on BIG OLE,{if that place is even running any more}. Just curious if you would know who. The fishing has been Great since the ICE went out. Up in that area it seems like it is always good. -Good Fishin, BIG ISLAND DUDE.

------------------
I never vote for, I alawys vote against

Island Dude,

I'm actually the one with a cabin on Big Ole. I was up there last weekend, and I didn't see any boats on forest land. Nor have I heard anything about them. I'll be up there again this weekend if there's something you'd like me to look into. Let me know soon. I'll likely be leaving tomorrow night.

Iron Man

Iron man, sorry bout th mix up. The boats have been parked in the bay on the southwest corner of big island, I dont know if they are from big ole, it was just a theory. It dosent look like they are doing any damage, I was just curious. Is that resort still running on big ole? I will also be up there for nice 4-day weekend over the 4th, I CANT WAIT!! Have the fish been biting on big ole this year? We have been doing real well on big island. We will be putting on a pretty good light show on the 4th. You will be able to see it from the boat launch.

------------------

Dude,

As far as I know, the resort is just open to friends and family of the resort owner right now. The son of the resort ower does have a guide service on the lake and around the area. I guess the land owners on the lake have never been a real big fan of the family. Unfortunately, there have been some "incidents" in the past, so the two parties don't get along too well. I try to stay out of it.

Fishing has been average on Ole. Northern numbers seem to be up, but size is down. Largemouth fishing has been below average. Crappie fishing is hit and miss. Smallies have been the highlight of the year so far. Numbers have been better than in the past, and I got my first wall hanger at 5 lbs.

The fishing really doesn't phase me much. I just like to go up there to get away from all of the noise. I'm sure you can relate. Good luck and let me know how you do on the lake across the street this weekend!

Fish On!

Iron Man

Oh yeah, We'll be sending up some sky decorations as well. Probably earlier in the week. We were gonna go into Rapids on the 4th. Do you know if there are fireworks over Pokegama? I'll be posting a new topic regarding that. Anyway, feel free to walk over if you hear some noise our way. Take care!

Fish On!

Iron Man

[This message has been edited by Iron Man (edited 07-02-2003).]

Iron Man
HI! My grandfather has the Stickler cabin
next to the old resort on Big Ole, Im up there about every other week .I have had good luck fishing everything except walleye.Have you had any luck.Stop on in and say Hi.
JN Deer River

Hey all,

As Coach Dog stated, the fishing on Ole was less than spectacular, but can you beat the weather? What a great 4th weekend! I saw the fireworks in GR. It was a nice show, but the finale' was lacking.

Logger, sorry I didn't stop by. Unfortunately I didn't get your message until today. You must somehow be related to Alaskander as well I assume. I know he (she?) stays at the Stickler's as well. We'll definitely have to get out on the water sometime! That would be fun. I'm not sure when I'll be up there next, but hopefully it won't be too long. I'll keep you posted.

Any area fishing reports? I know North Star was pretty slow last week as well. Take care all!

Fish On!

Iron Man

Big Island Dude-
Yeah, you must have mistaken me for Iron Man. He's my partner in crime and I occasionally tag along w/ him when he heads up to his cabin on Ole. We had a fairly decent trip. Great weather (except for the 24 hour power outage on wednesday and thursday). Fishing was decent. Quite a few fish, but nothing huge. Mostly norhterns, bass, and crappies. No walleye to speak of. Don't know when I'll be back up this year, we'll have to trade some tips. I've been to Big Island only once w/ little success.
Fishing Logger,
Were you up the last week on Ole? I was up there for about 10 days. Iron Man had to break away for a couple days but was up there both weekends. Like I said, quite a few fish but nothing huge.

-Coach Dog

IronMan, CoachDog - I was up thurs-sun and of course the weather was great. We fished northstar on thurs and only hoooked into a couple of small ones. Big Island was a little slower than usual but we did catch quite o few little fish. I did happen to find a great little lake where the fishin was great! Im just not sure if I am ready to disclose the name in the forums. I will be up north this weekend and I think I will drop the oldtown in at BigOle Ive never fished it before. I would love to swap some hot spots over a cold one at richies sometime.

------------------

Big Island Dude,

Sounds like a plan to me! It been a while since I've been over to Big Island. I used to fish it about once a year, but I think it's been 3 or 4 years since I've put a boat in there. I'd like to get back over there soon.

As far as hot spots, Richie's, etc., I'm always up for that as well. Unfortunately, I may not make it up until August. I don't think Coach Dog will be up there before then either. But we'll work it out. Keep an eye on the forum and we'll make some plans!

Fish On!

Iron Man

Was on Pokegema for the 4th and did well for smallies and panfish yet only a few walleye.. Tough times yet coming back for more around the 20th.. Any suggestions?