• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi! My family and I will be on Moose Lake the week of the 17th to 24th at Cedarwild resort. We usually do great going to other lakes while we're up there in May (Winnie, etc). I know it's a good Walleye lake and know people do well after dark on Moose. Anyone have any suggestions for finding some action for Walleyes during the day on this lake? My kids are 4 and 8 so it's hard to fish at night.

sloop- i didn't see which month you were going to be there. however, give me a email, and i think we can help you out wink.gifi have kids too, and they like me, fish moose often.
[email protected]

------------------
keep your drinks on ice!!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

One thing you might want to try in midday is go by the landing there is a nice break with cabbage on it and they do good in there I think in them clear lakes like that the cabbage is the way to go throw a jig and shiner or even a leach right on the edge of the weeds and you never know what you will pull out. good luck
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Hi jigglestick! Thanks for the reply! You have mail!

Thanks for the tip, Jason. Do you mean the bay in front of the landing or the big bar out a little ways?

The key to finding walleyes in the day on Moose is knowing where they come up to feed at night. Jason is right about the cabbage right in front of the access. An even better spot is off of the large bar in front of the access. The walleyes seem to be out in about 20 feet of water off that bar a couple weeks after opener. The action can be spotty some times...don't be afraid to go on top of the bar early in season though. I have seen walleyes in 3 feet of water on those bars early in the season. Another good area is the whole East side of the lake. Early in the year, the walleyes have a tendancy to be up in the shallows right off of the bullrushes....especially if there are cabbage weeds around. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips, Extreme!
I've found that 20' depth of water to be where fish are, the trouble is they've usually been little perch. I end up going through bait like crazy! Maybe I'll just have to keep at them and use bigger bait or something. I've always thought the walleyes should be right in there with them.

Sloop,

Moose is a great fishery, no reason to travel to Winnie to get bit. In the first weeks of the season do a jig and shiner. Fish the main lake points and larger humps. By far the best areas are cabbage related (there are a lot of bald humps and points).
Just west and north of the public access is a great spot with lots of cabbage. Another is on the north side centrally located. A resident puts out a large styrofoam marker every year to mark this hump-point. The best cabbage on this spot is on the east side. Keep mobil until you locate some fish. I would start out making long casts with light jigs and if that fails do some slip bobbers on the cabbage edges in the eventings. Good luck. GF

Sloop, we've vacationed at Cedarwild for 28 years - the first 2 weeks in June. I'd agree with everything that's been said. We've had good luck on the tight inside corners in addition to the cabbage. Early and late in the day. There's a great breakline directly south of Cabin #2 in about 8 ft. of water on the east side of a point. Don't forget about Joe's hole, too. Send and email when you get back and let me know how you did and how Al is doing.
[email protected]

------------------
Tom

Thanks for the tips, Gordon.

T Larson, I've known Al and Kate since 1977. Great people! I hope Al is doing well, I'll find out soon and post to you when we get back. I'll say hi to him from you and see if I can find the eyes this year. I'm more used to fishing muskie on this lake from July thru Oct and it is different from other walleye lakes I fish. If it wasn't for the family, I would get a partner and fish it at night.

Take Care! Good to hear from you!

if you can slip away at night , you might have one smile.gif

------------------

Hey jigglestick, you have mail! You'd be more than welcome to join me. We'll work it out.

cool sloop wink.gif

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a buddy were on Moose Tuesday night and caught 15 'eyes. We ended up keeping 7 eaters and releasing the rest, including a 25" that my buddy caught and a 29" that I snagged in the gill plate. Man I wish I woulda' caught that hog in late October, when it had the feed bag on.....it woulda' been on my wall! Oh well, just my luck!
Light jigs and shiners were the key. They stopped biting in our spot after dark, which was kinda' unusual. Maybe the shallow water cooled off too much and pushed them out deeper?
bmc