• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Darrell Larson

Will be opening on Splithand this year, I was just wondering if anyone has any accurate info. on this lake, as far as water level, and or fishing results in years past. Will be staying at Ruttgers, so if the fish aren't cooperating, at least the golf balls will be flying. Good Luck to all this year and thanks for any information supplied.

Splithand has been good to me in the years past, I've caught many nice fish on that lake. Be prepared to possibly land some crappies as that lake is loaded with pan fish. If Walleyes are your game I think you might be better off fishing the sunken islands on sugar lake right on rutgers. Good luck fishing, and let us know how you do.

pengy

If you put in at the public access on the southwest side, go to your left and find the bar that comes off the point. I'm sure someone else will be there "opening". Then head over to the northeast side of the lake and fish 8 to 10 feet deep. Filled out with walleyes last year (3 of us) but also caught a lot of "hammer handles". These never see the inside of my boat!! rolleyes.gif

Darrell Larson

Fish fear me and pengy: Thanks for your two replies gentlemen. At least I have some place to start. I heard that the access can be somewhat of a zoo, that is during the opener. I spoke with someone who was there years ago, and he said it was to crowded for him, he did not offer to much info. on the fishing. I will have to be sure and get my partners out of the rack early enough and hopefully beat some of the rush. Thanks again.

Jason Boser

Splithand is loaded with a nice bunch of keeper fish. They did well this last year on the water and through the ice The water will be a little low but you should be able to get in and the fishing should be good.
check where the water goes into the creek and the water comes out from Little Splithand on the other side of the lake from the landing. Get some shiners and a 1/8oz fireball and you should do well
Good luck
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Darrell Larson

Jason: I must have been posting a reply to the other two replies that I got on my original post. Thanks alot for the info. Is there another plan of attack that I should have in the event that SplitHand does not come off real well. Meaning is there another lake in the area that may be worth looking at. Not looking for any of your personal hot spots just a general answer would be good. I did fish Pokegema years ago, but the water level was way to high for any success. At times we were drifting by yard furniture under water. That was kind of weird.Thanks again, can't wait to get up to your area again.

Jason Boser

Some other options that are within about a 20 mile radious would be Swan lake in pengilly,Shallow lake in Warba,the river between the dams, Hill lake in Hill city, Prairie lake North of G.R is a good opener lake by the river channel on the north end. Hopefully that gives you some ideas
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Darrell Larson

Just returned from our annual outing in the Grand Rapids area. Never did make it to Spit Hand. We met our other two friends on Friday afternoon, they drove down to the lake and after that drive they said once was enough. The rain made the roads somewhat sloppy, and they said the lake was low and the access was in not the best of condition. Their vehicle and boat trailer was packed with sand, after all of that we decided to open up on Sugar, afterall we were staying at Ruttgers. The final tally off of Sugar, we were after Walleye was, [email protected]", 6 in the 20-22" range, and two large females in the 29+ that were of course returned to the lake. The walleyes were very aggressive, they slammed fireballs, with shiners on in the 17 to 20 foot range. Tried Pokegema did not do very well there and also went to Deer Lake north of Grand Rapids, thinking if we did well on the clear water of Sugar that this lake might also produce something, that was not a good assumption, lot of perch, partners did pick up a small muskie by accident. We always try different lakes, as we had fish already and nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks for all the people that replied to my original question. All in all it was a very enjoyable weekend. The much needed rain for the area was appreciated by the locals I'm sure.

mwktrapper

Hey SemperFi,
Was just wondering what time you were out on Sugar? thanks

I have fished Splithand a few times and was wondering what times are best to fish walleyes and crappies and where. Also wondering if the lake still has some big sunfish in it. A few years back used to nail the hawg sunnies. Up to a pound. Caught them while they were up shallow. They were all males. Any info is greatly appreciated.

for walleyes from sun up to sun down best just after sun up and right at sun down. the north and east shore are typically the best adnn you can prob get some off the sand bar on the west side. crappies are ussually the same ussually you catch them with the walleyes. and yes there are some big sunnies still in there i watched quite a few come through the ice this winter. stay in the 8-14 ft range and if the wind is up you'll have your best luck drifting so use the wind.
goodluck

Darrell Larson

mwktrapper: We were usually out early in the morning,then went golfing, and the best time for us that is, was toward the evening from around 6:00pm until 9:30pm or so. The "eyes" in that lake are really healthy, and with the cold water they did not give up the fight. The sunken island, just out from Ruttgers seemed to be as good as any. No boat traffic or recreation type yet.