• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

i have never fished gunn lake, but i was looking it over on the map, and the more i look, the more i like it. i have looked at sampling data, and such, but i was wondering if anybody has any first hand info to share. where are the accesses located? i know of one on the west side, but that is it. how is it for pan fish, mainly crappies? anything would be of interest, thanks, jigglestick.

------------------
keep your stick on the ice!!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5

Are you talking the gun lake up By higland? Off the scenic highway?
If you are then I can give you some info!

Chode...I too am a Hibbing native. Gunn lake is a very interesting lake! I've caught some big bass and pike in there.

Jigglestick...Is this the lake your talking about?

yes guys, that is the one. i would like to get the six point barge up there right after ice out. especially if the weather stays like this! i was just up there today, looking at the ramp. she's breaking up pretty good by shore, a guy would need some long planks to get out, or waders. even then, the ice looked like it could hold a surprise or two. the kind i'm not interested in. i will wait.
kind of funny though, i was looking at several lakes today, and some looked real safe, and some just did not. i walked out on little long, and felt very safe, but on a couple others, they looked two days away from black.
i would still like to know how the panfishing is in this lake. i have read reports on it, but they do not allways reflect what the lake really holds in store. first hand exp. really tells alot.
thanks, jigglestick.

------------------
keep your stick on the ice!!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5

thanks merc, just the kind of feed back i'm looking for. i like to explore, and this will be one of my projects this summer. i heard a hot tip this winter, and i will persue, and release the details, unless they're really good wink.gif
any more? alaskander, if you read this, email me and i'll discuss this matter further. thanks, jigglestick.

------------------
keep your drinks on ice!!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

I've fished the "chain" on Gunn quite a few times just because it's a great place to go when the wind is bad. Never fished the big lake though. We caught a ton of hammer handle northern but nothing of any size. Lot's of sunfish but again nothing huge just big enough for a meal if we wanted. Really never fished for crappie. It is really a neat place to fish as there are I believe seven little lakes connected by channels. It looks like it would be a great bass fishing area but never got anything big also. Sorry I couldn't help more but all the times we fished it we never caught anything of any size. Great fun to fish though!!! Good luck!!

Hey Jigglestick, I'm like you, love to explore and fish new lakes. Some of my best days fishing were just driving around and fishing the first lake we found. A few times we had no idea what the name of the lake was until we got back and checked the map. I've fished just about every lake in the Marcell area that has a decent access, now my buddy has a ten foot john boat so we are going after the primitive access lakes this year.
There are just too many lakes and not enough days to hit them all but we are going to try. Good luck!!!!

Sorry it took so long to reply! I havent been around!

I fish Gunn in the winter. I fish it about 4-5 times a year! Nice crappies intheir, but a very mixed bag. You can catch them from silver dollars up to 14 inchers, with a nice average of 10-11 inchers.
I have found that it is a good early morning lake!
Very deep I ussually fish in forty (40) feet and catch them all suspeded at about 30 feet. A ton of small rock bass in their ! I have a few buddys that have speared the lake before and they have claimed they have seen some nice eyes! True or not I don't know? But I have also heard some old timers say their is nice eyes in their. But ive never seen one yet! I have never been in little gun but I have heard from a reliable source that their are slabs in their ingood numbers. But then again thats heresay! But I have caught a good numbers of slabs out of gunn the main lake so, I am sure their in little gun! Never been on any of these lakes in a boat but would like to try. My boat is to big for this type of expedition. Correct me if I am wrong but the only way in is through the rivers!
In the winter we go from highland through the woods portage across the river into gunn! Not an easy task but fun! Plus someone put a bridge across the river now so its much easier.
In the winter we fish the south end for crappies.
keep me posted guys!

Jiggles,

I used to fish Gunn when I was in the local bass club many years ago. I usually did good in this tournament. The main lake received most of the pressure, although we did catch bass (largemouth) up and down the entire chain. The access bay usually produced as well. Probably because that's where we dumped all the bass after the weigh-in. It's fun going around there with a buzzbait.

The main lake has a little of everything, including some very nice pike. There was usually a nice northern or two caught during every tournament. Get a dozen boats or more with two anglers in each one casting spinnerbaits and something is going to happen!

Have fun......GC

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm

JiggleMan-
I've got a funny story about Gunn. Last year a couple of buddies and I were looking for Burnt Shanty. We put in on the Gunn chain, but had no idea where we were. We kept looking at the Burnt Shanty map and couldn't figure out why it was not correlating with the lake we were on. Finally when we were piss drunk, we asked some passerbys where we were. They thought we were screwing with them, but informed us we were on the Gunn Chain. We didn't catch much, but we caught one hell of a buzz. I think we will try the lake again based off the info you guys have provided (little more sober this time).
Thanks.
Keep on Jigging in the Free World.

Jiggaman...Funny story! I'm from that area and trust me I have an easy time relating to your misadventure. Now it seems funny, but there's hardly a logging road anywhere around Marcell that I don't know about. When I was a kid cruising the back roads, always a cooler full of beer, I learned more stuff and seen more country than ever. Sure am glad we had booze cruisin roads like that to enjoy. Now I really enjoy that beer before, on and off the lake. Don't forget the 40 or so on the way home, hehe!

Man! You were way off from Burnt Shanty. Gotta look for Sunshine lake across the road and you won't mistake the access. You's guys must have been fubar.

that sounds like flash backs to me grin.gif we used to cruise those roads coming in from lawrence lake area....in much the same condition i might add. there have been many a time when i didn't know where i was at, but not to many when i actually thought i was somewhere else. i just knew i was lost and accepted it smile.gif i love that part of minnesota. it feels like home to me. even though i don't live 20 minnutes away, every time i go over that way, i just get a good feeling. especially if it's a nice sunny day!it is truley god's country.

------------------
keep your drinks on ice!!! jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Just to let you guys know, the access through the woods and across the creek is on private land! We were kicked out of there by the owner a couple of weeks ago (I did check the plat book and he is right). He was wondering who had cut down his trees to build the bridge across the creek. There is no public access onto Gunn that I am aware of so good luck trying to get in there, maybe from the south??? I only fish it in the winter.

Gunn is a pretty decent lake, have caught a fair share of 17-18 inch bass and quite a few northerns in the 7lb range even though they are about a needle in a haystack compared to the many hammerhandles you have to fight through to get to them. Beavers wreak havoc on the last channel to the main lake though. When water is low you have to really watch it in there.