• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

An interesting thing happened to me last weekend when I was fishing. I was fishing for crappies in 34ft of water with the crappies suspended 10ft off the bottom. The bite was going fine. When all of a sudden I noticed my transducer move. It kinda freaked me out. I looked down the hole to see the nose of a nice sized northern sitting there. It was quite shocking. The darn thing had tried to grab my transducer. My transducer was just under the ice. Over the course of the next 1/2 hr I saw him about 5 times. I guess the ticking of the transducer attracted him. I could see it happening in shallower water but not at 34ft. An hour later about forty yards away (we had moved my portable) my buddy caught a hammer handle and I was going to help him get it out of the hole when I noticed that another pike had followed the other one up to the hole. It may have been the same one we had seen before because it had a scar on the left side of its mouth much like the first one had. Has any one seen this happen before. It was cool to see but very weird.

Guys who use Aqua-views and other types of underwater cameras commonly have fish, especially Pike and Muskies hit the lens and they get to witness it, kind of neat! I suppose If I was a fish I would be curious enough to hit it. If fish are anything like guys chasing women in Alaska, they too hit everything they see! Hehe.

I was fishing on Gunflint lk. a few yrs. ago and I had the same thing happen to me. I saw my transducer float move, I thought my line hit it but then it moved again. I looked down the hole and there was about an 8# laker trying to have my transducer for lunch. Pretty strange, we're going to have to figure out how we can put trebs on them.

Transducers look alittle like huge water beetles! Can you imagine if a pike took a bite at your transducer, cut the insulating wire, and you had to buy a new transducer!