• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

dakota.1950

I can't seem to find any information about resorts on Deer Lake, just south of Moose lake.
Can anyone give me names of reorts on Deer? Especially ones that might have web sites. Thanks Abunch!

leegs1

Pine Ridge Resort. Phone is 2183261792. Do not know about website. Nice people, clean cabins, and nice sand beach.

bmc

Little Itasca Resort 218-246-8686. I never stayed there, but have heard it's really nice.

Brian

dakota.1950

Thanks for the information. Looking at the DNR report this looks like a good crappie lake. What do you think?

Gordon Fothergill

Deer lake does have some nice crappies although it is not the lakes strongpoint. In recent years some strong year-classes of crappies have come up through the system and provided some good fishing for that species. I wouldnt recommend vacationing on Deer for the crappies, by no means a sure thing. The lakes Walleyes, Muskies, and Smallmouth are in great shape.

Try Mayflower Resort, nice people, nice place. 218-246-8601.

mwktrapper

A 50 inch muskie just came through the ice on Deer just a couple weeks back. It made a pretty nice story. I heard the guys tried to gaff it the first two times with his scooper handle until his buddy finally got a gaff.

good fishin

bmc

I never knew there were crappies in Deer! I rented out there on the north side one year and caught alot of nice sized bluegills on the fly rod. Gordon, ever try ice fishing either gills or crappies on Deer? Any ideas on where a guy would start to look?

Brian

Gordon Fothergill

Brian,

I have caught Bluegills on Deer in the winter. There is a resident population in access bay, although they typically run on the small side. Fish the deepest section of the bay where you see the cabbage in the summer. You can sight fish them. Another spot that holds winter gills is in the veggies on Kens Reef. The back bay NE of Sherwood girls camp also would be a spot of choice. These same areas hold crappie in open water but I haven't caught them in the winter.

You must be up for a challenge.
Good Luck

Deer lake is a hard lake to fish when it comes to finding crappies through the ice. I did the population assessment on Deer lake back in 2000 and noticed quite a few crappies in the shallow bay in front of the East access. We also caught crappies on the North West end of the lake. Nice fish! Almost all the crappies we seen were 12-14".

The smallmouth fishing is excellent in the summer. Very clear water makes for superb sight fishing. Lots of nice walleyes in Deer, but I personally have only done well after dark.

leegs1

Where is the east access on Deer Lake?

The only access that I know of on Deer is the one on the SouthWest shoreline. This is where the little bay is. I was picturing the lake differently than it really is.

jigglestick

some of the maps show an access on the east side of the lake. i've been to it, but it doesnt look like much of an access. a quick look at the plat book would make sure where a guy was standing though, private, or public. i do think it is an access. but more like a carry in, with out much parking.
did any body see the picture of the fifty incher out of deer lake on the cover of outdoor news? impresive!!!

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....

leegs1

What maps? How do you get to it?

jigglestick

it is on the east side of deer lake off of 62. south of the road that comes in from hwy 38 by 38 out post convenience store. there are two roads that are not much more than a 1/2 mile in length. it is the south road. i am trying to dig up a road number as i type. the road number is 302!!!how's that. i do not remember which map i have seen it listed as a public access, but i do remember seeing it. maybe it is no longer, but i did drive down there one day to look at it and it did look like it was a possibility. a trip to the court house could clear it right up. maybe one of those little known secrets that those that live close would rather not be made common knowledge????
i do believe that deer lake should have more than one public access though, if nothing else for parking reasons.

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jiglestick!!....jigglestick....