• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

jcfishr

I'm planning a day on Pokegama for next weekend with my 9 yr. old son. We've picked out some good spots on the lake but would like advice on which are better this time of year. We'd like to fish for crappie and also walleye. We thought we'd start:
> At the south end of the lake by the Snake River.
> Along the eastern shore next to the deep water.
> Around the humps along the western shore. (both sides of the point)
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Are we on the right track?

<'(((><
Thanks.

------------------
jc
[email protected]

jc,

You're on the right track, namely, getting on the water and fishing. Crappies are your best bet in August. They'll be anywhere from 9 to 25 feet, usually within a couple feet of the bottom. Look for structure that extends into lake's basin and fish the deepest water adjacent to it. Also, the harpacked bottom, tapering breaks (mostly the eastern shore) hold good numbers of crappie. Tube jigs with a small minnow or no minnow at all are a good option.

As for walleyes, August can be tough. Consider fishing after dark trolling the breaks with cranks. Plus, Pokegama has been tough this for walleyes in general.

Let us know how you did.

jcfishr

Bornofice,

Thanks for the reply. What's the deal with the walleye this year? The creel survey doesn't look that bad. I noticed a lot of rough fish in the lake. Does that adversely affect the walleye population?

jc

------------------
jc
[email protected]

jc,

Pokagama's walleye population seems to cycle every 4 to 5 years. However, I think the deal right now might be an extremely abundant forage base. From my observations, I would say there are more perch (small perch) than ever. So, the walleyes might be suffering from full stomach syndrome.

The rough fish don't make a lot of difference. They're always there and always have been.

jcfishr

Thanks again.

Do you you know of a place on the lake to rent a boat and motor for the day? Our original plan fell through.

------------------
jc
[email protected]

JC,

To my knowledge, there is not a boat rental facility on Pokegama, Cross, or the Snake River.

Rush Lake, to the south of Pokegama, may have a boat rental facility on the east side of East Rush at Peterson's Resort.

jcfishr

This topic was not about Pokegama Lake near Grand Rapids, but rather the Pokegama on
I-35 in Pine County...

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
      I like the idea!!!👍
    • reddogdth
      Just a heads up to all.  Someone has been cutting off the Catalytic convertors on vehicles at the landings on Island Lake Reservoir.  Trucks are targeted do to the clearance and ease to get under.  They hit several vehicles on Friday morning and were trying to sell the parts at a local scrap yard by 11:30am the same day.  It cost me over $500.00 to replace this weekend.  Police where notified.
    • rodbender27
      Thank you for your opinion. I respectfully disagree with just standing by, as multiple 3lbs+ bass were shown to me in a livewell this morning coming off of a 300acre lake. Again i completely realize this is a legal choice to make, and at times selective harvest is necessary for maintaining a healthy ecosystem. Where I live in Minnesota, bass are plentiful, but fish of that calliber and bigger are not growing on trees and it takes multiple years to get to maturity. As aforementioned, i am serious about the sport aspect of bass fishing and hate to think of the idea of 10+ yr old fish being taken from lakes of such small size especially. I have personally seen the possibilities catch and release offers as myself and a buddy have caught the same 4lb fish with distinct bird/pike bite marks on 3 separate occasions just this spring/summer alone.  Again i do not mean to shame these people for being proud of catching quality fish, just want to find the best way to try to shape their thinking to take a more conservationally responsible approach to fish harvest choices. I appreciate any help i can get
    • delcecchi
      They split FM and HSO.   Turned out to be a bad decision in my opinion.   
    • delcecchi
      If I were you I would mind my own business.  Harvesting bass instead of just annoying them is perfectly legal.    You could always write a strongly worded letter to the DNR and your state legislators suggesting special regulations on those lakes that concern you or even a statewide change if you really feel that it is a problem.     
    • Horseshoe_Don
      I have 2 large anchors so movement is not a problem as long as the wind is not too heavy which causes a little rocking.    The screen was as detailed as it is in winter.    As far as fishing went.    I was marking a lot of fish but most were cats.   I only marked a couple of possible walleyes but no takers, but in fairness I was only testing and was not in my best spot and was only there about 20 minutes.    Have to try again later in some of my winter hot spots.   Don
    • Wanderer
      That’s what I’m wondering too!  Mostly how well you can actually keep your bait in your ducer cone.  For a pontoon fisher I can see some pretty cool positives for the setup!
    • Borch
      Now I've seen it all!  😁 So how'd it go?
    • rodbender27
      Looking for advice on how to approach/converse with those who choose to keep bass. I have worked at public boat accesses around the metro for a few years now and see anglers taking bass home with them more often than I would care to see. As an avid bass fisherman, I have bias toward complete catch and release on all bass that are caught, however i understand that it is completely legal to harvest bass as long as one is complying with harvesting laws. The big problem for me persoany is when i see people keeping the totally wrong size fish (15"+) if you were to want to keep some.  I have struggled in how to go about trying to make people think twice about choosing to keep bass (or at least the larger fish) without making it awkward or seeming like i am shaming them. Would like any input on how I could go about conversing with these people. Any personal accounts would be great, thanks  
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I have heard the same reports. Good to hear that the walleyes on the West end may be starting to recover! Cliff