• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Got 5 small walleyes that were bunched up near an island in 30 ft on  leadcore...Tuesday and Wednesday very few fish on my line or on the locator in the 30 ft basin... 

• Thumbs Up 3

Mud bay has a few.  Saturday went much better.  Walleyes in 14-18 feet.  Water was still 65-68 throughout the east side.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know how much the lake temps have dropped?

Are people have the most success with minnows vs crawlers when fishing with live bait lately, or are crawlers still working?

No better time, Skunked. Tominator is right . Minnows. Jigs or lindy. I finding lots of 14-18” fish in 10-20’. And very few dinks! Helps to be near structure, especially in a saddle.

RLG

• Thumbs Up 2

PSU, I think I know the saddle you’re talking about. I have been fishing the other bay, usually east of that big saddle. I’ll look for you there as I pass through that area to go almost anywhere. The red lab (more like gray lab these days) is usually in my bow.

RLG

My middle brother, who lives in Arizona, has only ever done summer trips up to Vermilion - and one cold/drizzly fishing opener. This will be his first fall trip and he's looking forward to fishing, the changing leaves, and working outside in a sweatshirt. Should be fun.

I figured that we were on to the minnow bite but it never hurts to check in with the guys that are out there now. I appreciate it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Artistic Anglers in Duluth is fantastic. Had a 31 1/4” walleye mounted there. Simply outstanding!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/1/2022 at 1:33 PM, leech~~ said:

Beat yea! 

Did you scale that beauty?  You only win the contest if you measured it.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:20 PM, MarkB said:

My cousin, our good friend, and myself just returned home today from beautiful Lake Vermillion. We arrived Sunday afternoon and left for home this AM. We weren't able to fish Sunday afternoon due to wind, rain, and lightning. However, the 3 and1/2 days we were able to fish were unbelievable. Despite gale force winds every day but Wednesday, we had the best fishing we've ever had. Water temperatures were running 57-59 degrees early in the week and were steady 56-57 degrees towards the end. Morning fishing was brutally cold(hands) Monday and Tuesday but became bearable Wednesday and Thursday. We fished 3 different spots and caught loads of fish at all of them. We found the walleyes on mud bottom  20'-26' of water in the mornings and 15'-20' rock piles in the late afternoon. The bite was fast the entire trip and as the week wore on, it became noticeably lighter with the majority of fish hooked in the upper lip. I found that the speed was, once again, crucial and optimum speed was.4mph-.6mph. The walleyes weren't choosy about either crawlers or big sucker minnows, but, ALL of our BIG fish came on suckers. I was amazed at the lack of boats in the areas that we fished and, most days, we had the entire area to ourselves in the mornings. We caught walleyes, smallmouths, jumbos, and northerns while fishing for walleyes. Our biggest walleye measured 28" and we caught lots of slot fish between 20.5" and 25". We returned ALL of our walleyes over 16" and ate walleye 3 times while we were there. We caught 193 walleyes during our 3.5 days of fishing.

The fall foliage is definitely behind for the time of year. We were able to watch bald eagles, ospreys, and young of the year loons on a daily basis. We decided to give the Vermillion Club another try after a less than satisfactory spring visit for pizza. This time it was just as it used to be. Excellent pizza and beer. We booked our spring and fall trips for next year before leaving and now the long wait begins.

The pictures are of a 28" walleye our buddy caught and of lunch for one of the days.

Good Fishing,

MarkB🙂

28 inch Banana Island trophy.jpg

2022 September.jpg

Great post, with helpful insight!  Recently purchased a lake place on the Cook side and trying to figure the lake out. Have spent all my time on the Cook end and have been told multiple times that the better fishing is on the Tower side. Curious if that’s been you experience as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
4 hours ago, JerkinLips said:

Did you scale that beauty?  You only win the contest if you measured it.

Sorry, left my gram scale at home!  🤭

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 9:12 PM, fishingdad said:

Very nice reports everyone. Does anyone have a Taxidermist they would suggest?  I caught an absolute fat 9  1/2 lb walleye & tried for an hour to get her to go back in the lake but she took the rapala so deep it was a lost cause. Sad she didn’t go back in but blessed to put her on the wall from my favorite lake.  Thank You for any suggestions 

That happens.  I had that occur with a largemouth bass in 2006 in the heat of August and tried to revive it for 15 minutes without success, so I got a skin mount of it instead.  At the time it was a PB 21 incher.

Artistic Anglers is pretty good.  LAX Reproductions in Conover, WI is world famous for his muskie replicas, but he'll do a skin mount too.  I had a Tiger Muskie replica made by him in 2020.  He recently made a skin mount of the new state record pure strain muskie caught out of Mille Lacs last November.

replica 1.jpg

LAX.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Pat McGraw said:

CigarGuy, Crappies shallow or suspended?

Shallow. Got skunked tonight. Just got chased off by the weather. Last evening was the only time the last 4 times out I caught fish. Last even was light drizzle and calm water. Water warmed up about 3-1/2 degrees since the first time out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last weekend of the year for me.  Up with my dad pulled docks, water, and hoists.  Managed to get out Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Smoked them every day.  15-17 feet jig/minnow caught as many as we wanted from 330-630 pm.  For every 5 fish had a keeper.  Will miss the hell out of our little island place.  Hope to get up here this winter but two girls in hockey makes it tough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back to the world after a week up north. What great weather.

I did get out with my brother a few times but just for the sunrise and sunset bites. Lots of perch and the occasional walleye on jigs. Friday I had a few guys up and we had bad luck wherever we went except for one 15" monster crappie. However, Saturday turned things around. We pulled in a bunch of walleye. The biggest was a 22" over by Fectos Point, and the rest were all 12-19" eaters. 

We were there for peak fall colors on Wednesday before the wind came in and started blowing a lot of the birch leaves off of the trees. It's still pretty but not like it was last Wednesday. Since the clouds moved on, it's been nothing short of fantastic watching that giant full moon rise above the horizon each night. I hoping for one more trip this fall so I'll keep hope that the ice stays away a few more weeks.

• Thumbs Up 3