• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looking for a canoeable lake

I'm relatively new to the area and am looking for a lake west of Detroit Lakesn (trying to stay within an hour of fargo/moorehead area) I can canoe and catch the occassional walleye. Is that too tall of an order? After investigating on the DNR page I recently tried Lake 13 off of old highway 10. I liked the size and accessibility of the lake, but was skunked. Are there really fish in there? Does anybody have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Actually your driving right past some of the best waldo fishing in the area, the mighty red river. A canoe is a great way to get around on it too. If you just have to fish and paddle still water try stumpy (sand), labelle, lee, silver or marshall, there are soo many little lakes to the west of DL its hard to mention them all. Walleyes in them? ya, alot of them but not always easy to catch. If they were easy they would get cleaned out.... Happy paddling! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Lake 13 is a rearing pond that I believe suffered a bad winter kill in 02. I fished it that fall and early ice with good success but heard that it had a significant kill. There are, as Paul mentioned, many small lakes with walleye's accessible by canoe. The Red River is a great walleye fishery, but tough to find walleyes after the early spring run.

Fisherdog

------------------
Quality Bait & Tackle
Detroit Lakes, MN

Thanks for the info guys. I have heard the same about the 'eyes being hard to find in the Red River after early spring. I'll definitely be trying some of the lakes suggested. Thanks again.