• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What rod should he buy?

My winter fishing buddy wants to get into summer fishing a little more this year. He has always used crappy poles and he wants to gets something better.

I told him that I have a 5'6" or 5'9" st. Croix jigging pole that I love. I also have three other rigging rods that are either IM7 or IM8 -- I have a 6' version and two 6'6"ers.

He wants to know if he should buy a Flueger IM8 MED action 6'6" rod for rigging. I told him I don't like medium action rods -- I like the MED Light --

He is also looking at a couple of more options with the scheels name. I would lean toward the scheels rods, but the Flueger is cheaper.

What do you guys think. He does want two rod and reels but in concerned about price.

Can you guys help him???

My feeling is.....it isn't so much the name, or the action, it's how it feels. I have a couple of rods that are fast tipped medium action rods that really have no place in jigging, but hey, I love the feel, balance and have done fine for me. It's really going from rod to rod and looking for that perfect feel...plus that perfect price. I have 2 rods over 50.00 in my boat, they are both musky rods. All the rest are "cheapos". Not totally because I'm cheap, they were the ones that felt the best. I infact am fishing with a clearanced out abu garcia that ran me a cool 15.00. It's been the best rod I have ever owned! Personal preference though!

I hear the fishing rods Scoots dad makes are pretty sweet. Perhaps if you find a real nice feeling blank in a fenwick, G Loomis, or the like, he could make you one pretty close for a lot less!!! Rods By Engel I believe.