• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Keeping Wax Worms?

BobT

I have very little experience using wax worms and one of the problems I have with them is keeping them alive between fishing trips. When I buy them, I usually find them in a little plastic container and the bait shop has them refrigerated. With that in mind, I tried refrigerating them at home but in a very short time I find my container full of black dead worms. I've tried just keeping them in my basement where it is cooler but not as cold as a refrigerator and maybe got another day or two out of them. Keeping them in a warm place didn't work any better either. 

Is there a better way to keep them at home? Is the containers that they are in too small for any longer term storage perhaps? What bedding options are available that may help? 

Thanks.

I buy the big butter dish sized containers every year full of waxies. The one I have now I bought in December and I am  still using the same waxies out of that same purchase. The only thing I can think of is the little small plastic containers are too air tight and they die?

The butter dish I have has several holes poked in the lid so maybe they can breath better in that dish and end up lasting longer? I get a few that went bad on me but for the most part the entire container is still usable. Its a much  better deal to buy in bulk and use them the entire year than buy the little containers each trip.

From Vados Bait's website for waxworms:

Check and remove any dead every other day at a minimum. We recommend storing your waxies at about 43-49 degrees. When fishing try to keep them about the same temp and out of the direct sun light.

For Eurolarva/spikes/maggots:

Very easy to keep. Refrigerate at about 33-35 degrees. In general this might be a little cooler than most people keep their home refrigerator so you may want to use another refrigerator that you can dial down a little colder. Check the bait every two to three days, pick out and throw away any dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Might have to try a larger container and add vents. The 43-49 degree temp is just a little cooler than my basement so basement and out of direct sun might be another thing to try. Thanks.

i use those bait pucks and then in the frig or put them along the window sill. seems to work good for me. some time back they where giving those pucks away like candy at halloween.

gulp works pretty good too!!!!!!