• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

whateverisbiting

The warmer temps and high winds looks like it busted the last of the ice up overnight.  I see a lot of white on the distant shoreline I assume that is ice piled up on shore over there.  Really want to get the dock in but its cold and waves pounding the shore not a great combo for that.  Having fun watching the eagles, ducks, swan, geese, crane, loons, pheasant, foxes, otters, racoons, mink, deer, skunks, gophers, gulls, pelicans, and all other kinds of tweety birds all sighted in the last week (some on the cam at night).  Fun time of year to see stuff moving through.  The large flocks of tweety birds can be amazing, though they are larger in the fall.  Had a fall bug hatch was quite surprised by it.  Thousands of tweeties blanketed the area...bugs gone in 15 min!birds.thumb.jpg.f3d7ce44d286f3cf67f0ab922a118c16.jpg

Edited by whateverisbiting
  • Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• macgruber
      By macgruber
      We’re heading up to Lutsen area for the first week of April and I was looking for fishing ideas with kids.  Options I was considering: guided ice fishing if the ice is still decent, panfish on smaller lakes or walleye on Sag or shore fishing on superior.  I go up steelhead fishing every spring but that’s typically early for upper shore- maybe casting around river mouths?  I also haven’t done any shore fishing off break walls so I wouldn’t know where to start- if that time of year is worth it or would hold kids attention, depths to try, etc.  They do love climbing around rocks and beaches on shore and exploring.  Any ideas (even stuff I haven’t thought of) or advice would be most welcome!  Thanks in advance.
    • Rick G
      By Rick G
      Just a heads up. Ice conditions, and specifically access points have deteriorated rapidly since last weekend. I think our days of driving on to all but a few of our area lakes has come to an end for the season. I have been spending my week in the Annandale and Richmond areas. Most of the access points that are on hills with runoff or have south facing shoreline are gonna take a beating first.  
      The good news is, there is still plenty of ice on the lakes, although they are starting to get sloppy..... and the panfish are starting their yearly push toward the shallows. 
      Stay safe and good luck this weekend!!!
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      Anyone been by the Big Trout landing up by Cross Lake, MN in the past week.  Wonder how it's holding up? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall. 
      Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.     
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st. 

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• DavidJo23
      Of cource, one of the good composting toilets will be quite expensive https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Head-Contained-Composting-Quarters/dp/B009Z7EKIC . May be, you should pay for it and just be sure that it will serve for good. 
    • redlabguy
      Jkrash is right. There’s a repeater for CBS, NBC and another channel  that runs old TV shows and judge Judy type shows near Chisholm. A good antenna can pick them up in Frazer Bay Area.
    • Uncle Rico
      They've got the dam pinched down to almost nothing, hence the lack of progress.  I dont see much changing until they start opening the dam up, unfortunately.
    • Luzaich
      Odd year.. open water was still just past loman as of noon today.. if you look at the satellite it looks like the whole river is open, but it’s just water on top of the ice and dark spots.. royal Dutchman says 14 inches of ice at vidas 
    • CigarGuy
      The Landing, Richie Bay and Partridge River. 52 degrees! If we don't get some moisture this spring, the water level is going to be low!
    • Wanderer
      You have some replies on your first post.
    • smurfy
      Just read a Jeff sundin report he updated today. On winnie done resorts are only letting quests out, some are still allowing trucks but that's on a daily basis. Most if not all are strongly suggesting ATV.   Haven't seen anything about bowstring.
    • CigarGuy
      Might be all gone by the end of the day. I'll take some pics when I get back, in Virginia now.
    • Kettle
      Have not fished there, there's so many lakes up there. Looking forward to June and taking the nephews into Kramer though. Yes west of 169 on Pokegama is a lot of water 🤣
    • macgruber
      We’re heading up to Lutsen area for the first week of April and I was looking for fishing ideas with kids.  Options I was considering: guided ice fishing if the ice is still decent, panfish on smaller lakes or walleye on Sag or shore fishing on superior.  I go up steelhead fishing every spring but that’s typically early for upper shore- maybe casting around river mouths?  I also haven’t done any shore fishing off break walls so I wouldn’t know where to start- if that time of year is worth it or would hold kids attention, depths to try, etc.  They do love climbing around rocks and beaches on shore and exploring.  Any ideas (even stuff I haven’t thought of) or advice would be most welcome!  Thanks in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.