• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any early ice out predictions?  Never too early too start...?

How was the season-end Vermilion ice conditions....integrity and thickness....overall compared to last year?  I barely got out due to projects. Hoping for a warm April!

• Thanks 1

I had 26" of solid dark ice on January 17.  We got a lot of snow after that, but there have been very cold temperatures also.  My guess would be May 1.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

We're due for an earlier-than-May ice out :)

I'm thinking we'll have a warmer than normal April. My guess is April 23rd.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

With the lack of snowcover on the lake, it was great to be out there this weekend listening to her make ice.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like it stayed above freezing last night, with some warm weather and wind hitting today/tomorrow. However, the 10-day forecast still shows most nights below freezing and even down into the teens. It doesn't look like an early ice-out at least according to the forecast. Maybe on-time at best, or early May.

Any reports from the Pike River?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the forecast isn't looking as warm as I would have hoped. I miss having the 2 Pike Bay webcams to look at. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

I was just out on Daisy Bay and there is 9-10” of clear ice with 5-6” of very wet slush on top. Last week the same hole had 18” of ice with 6” of packed snow/slush. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, tbetts1000 said:

I was just out on Daisy Bay and there is 9-10” of clear ice with 5-6” of very wet slush on top. Last week the same hole had 18” of ice with 6” of packed snow/slush. 

It sounds like we're making progress. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, BigVwalters said:

I am going to guess the April 23rd.

That's where I am at as well....though not as interested with the order in place ?? On the bright side, will be wetting lines in a month! ?

Early season beer consumption might be a little higher this year...

• Thumbs Up 2

I was thinking April 20th for ice out but with the cooler night time temps next week I'm thinking April 27th now. The ice is starting to pull away from the shoreline which is a good sign.

2020 ice.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Darrell. I was just thinking about whether or not the river had opened up. This post was perfect timing.

It's great to hear from you and to get news about Cliff. I'm sure that I can speak for most by stating that posts by both you and Cliff are missed. Glad to hear that everyone is well. Going off of the adage that the Pike River is typically two weeks ahead of ice-out, that puts us right around the end of April for a typical Vermilion ice-out. That's great news.

• Thumbs Up 1

We just bought a place on the Pike River - was up last weekend cleaning the place up.  River is moving well.  Saw a couple eagles pick up suckers out of the river so I'm guessing they are running.  

• Thumbs Up 1

My original post mentioned the DNR trap nets at the hatchery, they will NOT be setting nets this year, for obvious reasons of health issues for all concerned, the DNR personnel and visitors.

• Thanks 1

Cedarbanks - welcome to the forums. There is a lot of great information packed away on here from prior years. You could become a fishing master if you went back and read all of the fishing posts from Cliff, MarkB, Ace, and others. Enjoy and share.

Darrell - I wondered about that as I read your post. Maybe that means that the east end will have a little more plentiful walleye class in 2020, or just that the older year classes will have more food to gorge on!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
6 hours ago, Darrell Larson said:

I still talk with Cliff Wagenbach  now and then he is alive and well and is still a Guide on Vermilion, fyi for some on this site that know Cliff.

When you talk to Cliff let him know we miss him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

Cedarbanks - welcome to the forums. There is a lot of great information packed away on here from prior years. You could become a fishing master if you went back and read all of the fishing posts from Cliff, MarkB, Ace, and others. Enjoy and share.

Darrell - I wondered about that as I read your post. Maybe that means that the east end will have a little more plentiful walleye class in 2020, or just that the older year classes will have more food to gorge on!

As I understand it the DNR puts back fry into the lake to compensate for the eggs they take.   This works because they are better at hatching fry than ma nature is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

As I understand it the DNR puts back fry into the lake to compensate for the eggs they take.   This works because they are better at hatching fry than ma nature is.

They say they put back more than would've hatched naturally. If we get a great hatch and a big year class I'm sure plenty of people will still question that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, FishinCT said:

They say they put back more than would've hatched naturally. If we get a great hatch and a big year class I'm sure plenty of people will still question that. 

Good or bad agree or disagree it seems there will be some learnings here.  But of course, every year is different naturally so probably there will still be a raging debate on the impact.  Other species may benefit and that may make some happy.

The lake I am on is only stocked every other year with walleye and not this year so should be no impact unless it carries over to next year.  I think the best year class of the lake actually came from a private stocking effort with yearlings wish we could do more of that I would be happy to pay for it though not sure how to make something like that happen.  I know on another lake a few years back the lake organization tried to do this and the DNR denied it.  Sad. 

• Thanks 1

There are numerous private hatcheries in the state,  including 10,000 Lakes Aquaculture, a big hatchery operation up near Osakis.  You can buy walleyes, but I had a buddy that looked into it for a private stocking on his own little lake, and it was pretty expensive. You can get walleyes, crappies, bluegills, perch, all kinds of fish. There are also numerous lakeshore associations around the state that do their own stocking, so I know its possible. Good luck if you are able to get interested people together, and stock some fish.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never minded the hatchery. It's actually a lot of fun to go seem the staff at work, and see all of the eggs inside the building. I think that whateverisbiting is spot on, that a debate will rage and for no good reason. There are too many variables at play to look at one and pronounce it the cause of change.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Often hatching isn't the problem, survival for the first year is.   Check west end for evidence.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Any ice reports from the smaller bays? Is the ice starting to pull away from the northern shores yet?

Young of the year survival is the key player here. A good natural spawning year far outpaces stocked fry- however the fry are not making it to the adult population. It is happening all over not just on Vermilion. The DNR does a very good job of documenting their work on the young of the year assessments.

Crappies, sunfish and largemouth bass are very strong right now in the lake.

Best of health to all in these trying times- hopefully we will be able to wave at each other while on the water catching walleyes starting at the opener.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

Checked-in in the webcams to see how ice out might be progressing.  There’s a boat out in Wolf Bay...stuck in an iceberg?  ?

942B855E-9FF1-4C29-8325-D0F8C4F5555B.png

• Confused 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1