• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Nix769

Any early ice out predictions?¬† Never too early too start...ūüėĚ

How was the season-end Vermilion ice conditions....integrity and thickness....overall compared to last year?  I barely got out due to projects. Hoping for a warm April!

• Thanks 1

JerkinLips

I had 26" of solid dark ice on January 17.  We got a lot of snow after that, but there have been very cold temperatures also.  My guess would be May 1.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

CFD200

Still making ice.  Drove on good ice today.

• Thanks 1

chucker1101

We're due for an earlier-than-May ice out :)

I'm thinking we'll have a warmer than normal April. My guess is April 23rd.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

SkunkedAgain

With the lack of snowcover on the lake, it was great to be out there this weekend listening to her make ice.

• Thanks 1

JerkinLips

Ice was really noisy on Burntside this weekend.

• Thanks 1

Fish Head

I'll go with April 22nd as an ice-out prediction for Vermilion. 

• I Like it 1

SkunkedAgain

It looks like it stayed above freezing last night, with some warm weather and wind hitting today/tomorrow. However, the 10-day forecast still shows most nights below freezing and even down into the teens. It doesn't look like an early ice-out at least according to the forecast. Maybe on-time at best, or early May.

Any reports from the Pike River?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Fish Head

Yeah the forecast isn't looking as warm as I would have hoped. I miss having the 2 Pike Bay webcams to look at. 

• Wow, ‚̧ 1

tbetts1000

I was just out on Daisy Bay and there is 9-10‚ÄĚ of clear ice with 5-6‚ÄĚ of very wet slush on top. Last week the same hole had 18‚Ä̬†of ice with 6‚Ä̬†of packed snow/slush.¬†

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

Fish Head
57 minutes ago, tbetts1000 said:

I was just out on Daisy Bay and there is 9-10‚ÄĚ of clear ice with 5-6‚ÄĚ of very wet slush on top. Last week the same hole had 18‚Ä̬†of ice with 6‚Ä̬†of packed snow/slush.¬†

It sounds like we're making progress. 

• Thumbs Up 2

BigVwalters

I am going to guess the April 23rd.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nix769
2 hours ago, BigVwalters said:

I am going to guess the April 23rd.

That's where I am at as well....though not as interested with the order in place¬†ūüėīūüėܬ†On the¬†bright side, will be wetting lines in a month!¬†ūüé£

Early season beer consumption might be a little higher this year...

• Thumbs Up 2

BigVwalters

Absolutely.¬† Going to be a good ice out date for the opener¬†ūüėĀ.

• Thumbs Up 1

jkrash

I was thinking April 20th for ice out but with the cooler night time temps next week I'm thinking April 27th now. The ice is starting to pull away from the shoreline which is a good sign.

2020 ice.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

SkunkedAgain

Thanks Darrell. I was just thinking about whether or not the river had opened up. This post was perfect timing.

It's great to hear from you and to get news about Cliff. I'm sure that I can speak for most by stating that posts by both you and Cliff are missed. Glad to hear that everyone is well. Going off of the adage that the Pike River is typically two weeks ahead of ice-out, that puts us right around the end of April for a typical Vermilion ice-out. That's great news.

• Thumbs Up 1

cedarbanks

We just bought a place on the Pike River - was up last weekend cleaning the place up.  River is moving well.  Saw a couple eagles pick up suckers out of the river so I'm guessing they are running.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Darrell Larson

My original post mentioned the DNR trap nets at the hatchery, they will NOT be setting nets this year, for obvious reasons of health issues for all concerned, the DNR personnel and visitors.

• Thanks 1

SkunkedAgain

Cedarbanks - welcome to the forums. There is a lot of great information packed away on here from prior years. You could become a fishing master if you went back and read all of the fishing posts from Cliff, MarkB, Ace, and others. Enjoy and share.

Darrell - I wondered about that as I read your post. Maybe that means that the east end will have a little more plentiful walleye class in 2020, or just that the older year classes will have more food to gorge on!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick
6 hours ago, Darrell Larson said:

I still talk with Cliff Wagenbach  now and then he is alive and well and is still a Guide on Vermilion, fyi for some on this site that know Cliff.

When you talk to Cliff let him know we miss him.

• Thumbs Up 1

delcecchi
On 4/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, SkunkedAgain said:

Cedarbanks - welcome to the forums. There is a lot of great information packed away on here from prior years. You could become a fishing master if you went back and read all of the fishing posts from Cliff, MarkB, Ace, and others. Enjoy and share.

Darrell - I wondered about that as I read your post. Maybe that means that the east end will have a little more plentiful walleye class in 2020, or just that the older year classes will have more food to gorge on!

As I understand it the DNR puts back fry into the lake to compensate for the eggs they take.   This works because they are better at hatching fry than ma nature is.

• Thanks 1

Rick

@cedarbanks welcome to FM.

FishinCT
1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

As I understand it the DNR puts back fry into the lake to compensate for the eggs they take.   This works because they are better at hatching fry than ma nature is.

They say they put back more than would've hatched naturally. If we get a great hatch and a big year class I'm sure plenty of people will still question that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

whateverisbiting
11 hours ago, FishinCT said:

They say they put back more than would've hatched naturally. If we get a great hatch and a big year class I'm sure plenty of people will still question that. 

Good or bad agree or disagree it seems there will be some learnings here.  But of course, every year is different naturally so probably there will still be a raging debate on the impact.  Other species may benefit and that may make some happy.

The lake I am on is only stocked every other year with walleye and not this year so should be no impact unless it carries over to next year.  I think the best year class of the lake actually came from a private stocking effort with yearlings wish we could do more of that I would be happy to pay for it though not sure how to make something like that happen.  I know on another lake a few years back the lake organization tried to do this and the DNR denied it.  Sad. 

• Thanks 1

Sculpin

There are numerous private hatcheries in the state,  including 10,000 Lakes Aquaculture, a big hatchery operation up near Osakis.  You can buy walleyes, but I had a buddy that looked into it for a private stocking on his own little lake, and it was pretty expensive. You can get walleyes, crappies, bluegills, perch, all kinds of fish. There are also numerous lakeshore associations around the state that do their own stocking, so I know its possible. Good luck if you are able to get interested people together, and stock some fish.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

SkunkedAgain

I've never minded the hatchery. It's actually a lot of fun to go seem the staff at work, and see all of the eggs inside the building. I think that whateverisbiting is spot on, that a debate will rage and for no good reason. There are too many variables at play to look at one and pronounce it the cause of change.

• Thanks 1

delcecchi
22 hours ago, FishinCT said:

Often hatching isn't the problem, survival for the first year is.   Check west end for evidence.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

SkunkedAgain

Any ice reports from the smaller bays? Is the ice starting to pull away from the northern shores yet?

Sorgy

Young of the year survival is the key player here. A good natural spawning year far outpaces stocked fry- however the fry are not making it to the adult population. It is happening all over not just on Vermilion. The DNR does a very good job of documenting their work on the young of the year assessments.

Crappies, sunfish and largemouth bass are very strong right now in the lake.

Best of health to all in these trying times- hopefully we will be able to wave at each other while on the water catching walleyes starting at the opener.

Steve

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

BrianF

Checked-in in the webcams to see how ice out might be progressing. ¬†There‚Äôs a boat out in Wolf Bay...stuck in an iceberg? ¬†ūü§Ē

942B855E-9FF1-4C29-8325-D0F8C4F5555B.png

• Confused 1
  • Wow, ‚̧ 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A very successful week for Lake of the Woods anglers.  Great walleye fishing continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water, with walleyes also being caught shallower.  A number of areas along the south shore from Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Long Point and Rocky Point are producing.  Knight / Bridges Island area also still holds good numbers and size of fish.  Anchored up and vertical jigging, drifting crawler harnesses and pulling crankbaits all working.  Gold / pink  / orange / glow all working well.  A nice mix of eaters, slot fish to be released between 19.5" and 28" and a good number of trophies over 28".  As last week, big pike and jumbo in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Most walleyes are being targeted and caught in the lake.  There is always a population of resident walleyes that live in the river.  Best depth is 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best however trolling a crankbait and covering water is also effective.  Smallmouth bass near rocky structure.   Good pike hanging in and adjacent to bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Fishing continues to be excellent.  Walleyes being caught on 5-7' flats with snelled spinners and crankbaits as well as jigging rocky points in 10 - 20 feet of water.  Walleyes being caught in many different areas on the Minnesota side.  Pike in bays and creek mouths.  Water temps 55-57 degrees. 

• chopper72
      By chopper72
      I am going up to camp in the middle of June.  Anybody have any suggestions about baits and depths etc. for Walleyes and Bass?
    • Squirt
      By Squirt
      Going to lake vermillion for the first time. June 13. Staying near Arrow Head Point, Isle of Pines. Only have a small boat with 15 HP so looking for some tips for where to go for big pike that is reasonably close given my boat. I do not mind a drive, but I know how conditions can get on big water.  I also plan to go to Trout Lake (reason for bringing the small boat) If anyone has tips on Trout Lake for Pike.  Thanks and #tightlines!
    • Philco
      By Philco
      I just moved to Minnesota, I live in Maplewood and looking for somewhere near by to fish for catfish from the shore. Any suggestions?
    • Dave Bonjour
      By Dave Bonjour
      im, new to this sight,and my wife and i will be going to Lake Osakis for a few days in mid June to target walleye and crappie,any tips and hints will be helpful,,Thanks
    • DonkeyHodey
      By DonkeyHodey
      Don’t ya love when the weather forecasters are wrong?  S’pose to rain all weekend, but we were blessed with overcast/partly sunny weather.

Over the weekend, we fished around on 3 little lakes (all <200 acres) in Bemidji area (Clearwater county).  One lake was already up to 66 degrees in the middle! 
      Most vegetation is still low except a few lily pads were just hitting the surface at the shallows; bulrushes are still dried/brown.  With the warmer weather this week, I’ll bet the lakes will start filling out with vegetation in a matter of days and probably be growing fast.

Sunny/crappie bite was nice on Sat; dead on Sunday‚ÄĒhad to work to find them though.¬† (Morning bites were poor--Afternoons much better.¬† Evening is always good‚Ķ)
      (males were staging; females weren’t around yet)  Their location varied between hugging emergent bulrushes to being suspended at ~8 feet in ~15 feet of water.  (the suspended ones weren’t biting, though)  We were using slip bobbers with 1/32 flu flus and nightcrawlers.
      Found some nice perch hugging the bottom in 7-10 FOW jigging with 1/16 pink/white beetle-bou jigs.

Once sonny boy starting catching northerns casting a shad rap, then princess wanted to catch a nort too; so our fishing trip shifted from casting bobbers to trolling with spoons and the norts were very cooperative‚ÄĒgetting 1-2 strikes every time down a simple shoreline of ~100 yds.¬† Norties were fat and healthy!
      Princess caught her PB northern!

Hoping to be back fishing around in Stearns and Morrison county (central MN) this weekend and got another getaway planned for next week.  Happy Fishing!
    • Mr. 5 pounder
      By Mr. 5 pounder
      I've been going up to the areas mentioned for 20 plus years now and ended up buying a cabin in the Bovey area. Looking to hear and share some fishing reports about the surrounding lakes. Never keep much besides some pesty northerns and panfish (which are plentiful) for the occasional lunch. So, I highly respect the area, but if you know the area at all, you will never be able to fish all its lakes in a lifetime... so some well informed fishing reports is always welcome. Again, I emphasize "smaller lakes," because the bigger ones (Jessie, Round, Wabana, etc) all have fishing reports available. Post if you're interested and lets get a good conversation going. 
    • Bonez
      By Bonez
      I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------

"There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."

"Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."

"Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."

"Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Anglers had an excellent week of good fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water.  It is good to remember, not all walleyes do the same thing.  Some schools are deep, some shallow.  Some may be feeding on minnows, others critters in the mud.  Good reports in various areas along the south shore of the lake as well as Knight / Bridges Island area.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink  / orange or a combo hard to beat.  Drifting with spinners and trolling crankbaits also catching fish.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike and jumbo perch in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers caught some good walleyes in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  The edge of the river channel in Four Mile Bay also giving up some walleyes.  Smallmouth bass in good numbers.  Typical spots, rocky areas, current breaks, bridge and rip rap areas.  Somie big pike still hanging out in bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Some guests are setting up with transport to follow charters in their own boats.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points in 10 - 22 feet of water producing nice walleyes.  Some good fish also being caught on crankbaits in 8-12' of water.  Big pike in bays and creek mouths.  Smallmouth bass in bays and shallow rocks.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• KidMoe
      I agree on circle hooks, just remember you don’t need to set the hook hard just pull tight. When we go up to LOTW and fish in Canada you can’t bring in live bait so these use soda water instead. If that helps you feel better about killing your cut bait
    • Rick
      Welcome to FM @burgoyne.   BBs advice is great. There are quite a few here who fish the area.   I'm guessing someone will be along shortly who can help you out.   Have fun and be sure to get some oics to show us how it's going.
    • chucker1101
      work the area between Daisy and Banana Island, it's near where you're at. There are three hazard markers there, just be careful with your lower unit   There are plenty of Pike spots in Daisy Bay - study the map and follow the wind. 8-10' breaklines where the wind is blowing into. Look for mid-lake structure that support Ciscos and Perch.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Franconia or Somerset landings. Quite a bit of fishable shoreline at both spots. Boomsite wayside is fishable too, but there’s always way too many people down there, and too much boat traffic for my liking. 
    • ozzie
      Got a report that my Father inlaw was out on the chain to see what he could find for Walleyes and said he landed a 18" and a 27.5" on the westside of the chain before the storms were rolling in.  I hadn't talked to him but in this particular area I know we usually will use jigging raps instead of live bait due to the fact that the perch devour any live bait you put down.
    • Barbelboy
      Welcome to MN! While i'm not familiar with the Eagan area I would suggest using the MN DNR recreation compass. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass/index.html  some searching on the link above will not only provide you fish creel surveys, but lake maps and water clarity reports. I've spent countless hours cyber scouting lakes. Good luck!
    • Barbelboy
      yeah, with larger suckers i just pre-cut the bait and keep in a little cooler so it stays fresh. I usually use a treble hook and chicken liver, but when i use cut bait a circle hook is my go to. 
    • PRO-V
      Fished a small lake up by Togo this weekend. Just a bit in mornings and evenings. First nights crappies but a walleye never bit. Watched a beautiful thunderstorm at sundown that just scraped us a few minutes.
    • Rick
      Just cut the head off first.
    • Daniel Hayes
      looking to try cut bait for catfishing. Usual use nightcrawlers or stink bait, but am looking to filter the Rockbass and small cats.  I'm gunna buy a couple decoy suckers and use. But am wondering how to humanely kill and cut up? Or do I just cut umm alive while flopping like a serial killer?
√ó
√ó

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.