• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Costs of a vehicle going through the ice

Bucketcastle

Its that time of year and vehicles are starting to go through the ice.  It could cost your life and thousands of dollars to your family.  Here's some quick info I've found.  One is the MN state statute the other is an article from Twin Cities Pioneer Press from a salvage company.  Be safe out there.  Just because one guy drove out doesnt mean you're safe to.

Subd. 2.Responsibility for removal.

(a) The owner of a submerged vehicle is responsible for removing the vehicle from waters of the state, unless the vehicle is permitted or otherwise exempt from removal. Removal must be completed within 30 days of the vehicle entering the water or being discovered in the water, unless the owner is notified in writing by the political subdivision having jurisdiction that the removal must be completed sooner. Upon request of the political subdivision the commissioner may extend the 30-day time period for removal.

(c) If the vehicle is not removed according to paragraph (a), the political subdivision in whose jurisdiction the lake or watercourse is located shall remove the vehicle. The owner of the vehicle is subject to a civil penalty of not less than twice nor more than five times the costs incurred by the political subdivision to remove, process, and dispose of the vehicle. Civil penalties imposed under this section may be enforced and distributed as provided in section 115A.99.

Thompson says anyone who loses a vehicle or other equipment to bad ice should contact authorities and their insurance company before doing anything else. While some salvage operations charge a flat rate, Thompson says Tri-State charges $2,400 for the first hour and $1,200 for every hour thereafter from the time they hit the lake until they’re back on shore with the vehicle.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/86B.107

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twincities.com/2018/01/24/your-vehicle-is-at-the-bottom-of-a-lake-now-what/amp/

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never lost a vehicle, but I know a guy who put one through Winnebago in central Wisconsin a few years back. He spent around 10K to get it out. His insurance company did not cover any of it, nor did it payout anything for his vehicle. I must say, it was pretty impressive watching how they got it out though. 

• Thanks 1

Good post Bucketcastle.  It seems to happen every year.  Its like its almost unavoidable for some solely based on stupidity.  They see someone else out there with a truck and think its OK for them to drive out too.  There was an article in the Star Tribune the year before last about a business near Mille Lacs that pulls houses, ATVs/snowmobiles, and vehicles out of the ice which was very interesting.  The guy usually makes enough in a 4 month span to live off of for an entire year.  If the ice isn't thick enough for his wench equipment, he can't get it out and the item sits under the ice for weeks until he can get at it.  I'm not sure what kind of coverage is available through insurance as a lot of that is different for many people based on the individual policies they have.  I am sure about one thing though: you won't see my F-150 anywhere but on dry land.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, A.Wichman said:

I've never lost a vehicle, but I know a guy who put one through Winnebago in central Wisconsin a few years back. He spent around 10K to get it out. His insurance company did not cover any of it, nor did it payout anything for his vehicle. I must say, it was pretty impressive watching how they got it out though. 

not that i am ever really looking to find out, but i was told by are Insurance Lady, Minnesota has a law requiring coverage for a vehicle that went through the ice.

if thats still on the books i'm not sure.

there is not a law (that I am aware of) to cover a vehicle that goes through the ice, but if you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicles insurance policy, the extraction of the vehicle should/could be covered.    It is best to ask you agent if your policy has any exclusions for ice driving but most insurance policies covers "stupid mistakes" and driving on thin ice would qualify for a stupid mistake IMO.? 

• Thanks 1

I think I should contact my insurance guy and find out.  We just did a review of everything but this question didn’t come up.  Seems like a no brainer to know how a person is covered.  Maybe it’s more of a no thought instead.

• Yayyyy 1

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

not that i am ever really looking to find out, but i was told by are Insurance Lady, Minnesota has a law requiring coverage for a vehicle that went through the ice.

if thats still on the books i'm not sure.

We live in Wisconsin and as far as I know there is no law requiring it. I'm sure there is some policies that cover stuff like this, but probably not all. I am very hesitant to drive on ice anymore, unless it is for my sleeper trip in February. Usually LOW or Red have enough then that I'm fairly comfortable. 

Side question. How many of you drive with your windows down when driving on the ice? I got into a pretty good debate with friends that do not do this when on the ice. I was always taught that you won't be able to open your door until the pressure equals the inside as outside with it down. Essentially your vehicle will have to fill with water before you can open a door. Leaving the window down gives you a way out right away. 

• Wow, ❤ 1

windows down for me generally..  but don't drive on the lake with the truck, just the wheeler... 

and the insurance is covered by some and not others and I think it's a one time only deal..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, A.Wichman said:

Side question. How many of you drive with your windows down when driving on the ice? I got into a pretty good debate with friends that do not do this when on the ice. I was always taught that you won't be able to open your door until the pressure equals the inside as outside with it down. Essentially your vehicle will have to fill with water before you can open a door. Leaving the window down gives you a way out right away. 

I still do, even though I go through a reputable outfitter on LOW that I trust.  I don't drive on the ice anywhere else anymore, just not worth it IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I asked my agent and was told that I’m covered if my pickup goes through the ice. 

I am one that drives with the windows down always when driving on the ice. The older I get the less I like driving around when I’m out there. One year fishing devils lake we drove about 3 miles all over the place breaking trails the entire way. I don’t think it’s something I could do anymore. 

If if anyone is bored google tri state diving. They do a lot of recoveries of vehicles that went through the ice and they take pictures and video. It’s pretty interesting.

• Thanks 1

I did call my agents office today and asked the question.  The assistant couldn’t tell me straight up even having comp coverage.  She said she’d look into it and call me back.  She’s been there a while and handles a lot of questions so that tells me there are some variables.  Hopefully I’ll get a call tomorrow.

I usually have the window down at least a bit unless I’m on large lake super highway.

• Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
37 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I usually have the window down at least a bit unless I’m on large lake super highway.

Um, yeah that would be Life insurance anyway!  Then your wife should be checking on that! ?

• Yayyyy 1