• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Borch

Top of that point has since serious rock spines.   A real nice combo of rock and cabbage.  Mixed bag of pike and eyes for sure. 

• Like 1

smurfy

Well with this crud I caught somewhere I'm taking a pass this weekend. I feel like dump. Maybe next weekend.

Rick
20 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Well with this crud I caught somewhere I'm taking a pass this weekend. I feel like dump. Maybe next weekend.

The fish will be gone by then. 😁

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

smurfy
11 minutes ago, Rick said:

The fish will be gone by then. 😁

its ok.i don't mind looking down a spearhole!!!!! beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!! I always bring a radio along so...…..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Dave S

Some of you might have seen my other post about being in the market for a new auger 🤣. Made a trek out to Koronis yesterday. This was only my second time on the lake so I've got a lot to learn. Didn't catch much. Just a lot of small perch. OK considering I only had 1 hole to fish out of. From the sounds of it, the crappie bite has slowed in the area I fished. 3 or 4 wheel houses moved out. Ice was at least 14" thick.

I will definitely be back. Had the chance to meet Paul Waldowski for the first time. Very helpful! Thanks a bunch Paul for the tips. 👍

• Thumbs Up 2

matt320

Just looking for ice thickness and hows the travel will I be ok with my 4×4 or do I need to bring the wheeler? 

smurfy

Where I'm at way plenty ice. Out of bugbee give, the west road. Watching tipups. There is a group further out.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the windmill point area but not 109%certain. In 13 ft of water, have had perch on the camera non-stop but no water wolves yet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Wanderer

Good luck @smurfy  

They might be shallower?  Hard to leave perch though when they’re thick.

• Haha 1

smurfy
20 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Good luck @smurfy  

They might be shallower?  Hard to leave perch though when they’re thick.

👍 thanks. Yea pretty much what I thought. With all the small perch and sunfish, even an occasional sucker on the camera one would figure them pike would be close by. Oh well better than watching the Hallmark channel at home.😉 I'm not far from shallow water.

Some of the perch I'm seeing look like there getting a good size egg sac already.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• cjgardner
      By cjgardner
      2020 Lake Pokegama Fishing Reports, Grand Rapids - Click Here.

I will be staying at a resort on Pokegama in early June. What can I expect as far as fishing? Are there any methods that traditionally work well this time of year? I am not particular to a species, just looking for some action. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • Empty Well
      By Empty Well
      Current Lake Pokegama Fishing Reports, Grand Rapids - Click Here.

I have been fishing walleyes on Pokegama for the past few summers with very little luck. Admittedly, I have not put much time in, but I plan to this summer. Can anyone provide any insights as to how to fish them, as well as where to fish them, both day and night? I notice that most posts highlight Winnie, Sugar, Split Hand etc., with little mention of Pokegama. Is it simply because it is very difficult to fish?
    • The Donk
      By The Donk
      2020 Lake Pokegama Fishing Reports - Click Here

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I will be staying up here for the summer (work) and am wondering if this lake is a viable way to entertain myself.
      Any pointers, or what species is good to target would be much appreciated, and if any of ya get around St. Cloud I would be happy to return the favor.
    • opsirc
      By opsirc
      In all the years going to low never fished them,  heang up this weekend and thinking of trying there. Are they any good or should head out far like everyone else?
    • Storm
      By Storm
      I realize Lake of the woods is definitely more of a day bite but am going up second week of March and will be sleeping in my pop up. Was thinking of fishing during the day in the 30 ft range where most others are and then moving up shallower on structure in hope of picking up a few overnight? Also could care less about number of fish, mainly looking for bigger mature fish as I don’t keep fish most of the time anyways. This will be my first time there so any help appreciated.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of ice fishing with lots of fish frys.  Good fishing reports, most fishing in 27 - 33' of water.  Ice conditions on LOW remain excellent at around 30 inches where most are fishing.  Use combo of jigging line and deadstick.  Try spoons or lipless crankbaits with rattles to pull fish in.  Pink hook with a minnow on deadstick effective this week.  Some good colors overall, gold, glow, pink, green, orange and chartreuse.  Don't be afraid to downsize presentation on a tough bite day.  Small spoon with a minnow head, wax worm or euro larvae can catch extra fish.  Electronics will catch more fish.  Some nice walleyes showing up suspended.  Pike fishing continues to heat up.  Tip ups and big baits on quick strike rigs  the ticket.  
      On the Rainy River...   Local anglers catching some walleyes in the river.  Most anglers fishing the lake.  Extra caution is always needed on the river, especially with higher current this year.  Thin ice around the International Bridge in Baudette.  Work through resort or know ice conditions if ice fishing the river as ice thickness varies.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing reports good up at the Angle.  Resorts in 26 - 32' of water.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with big jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  The snowmobile trails both across the lake and in the woods are in great shape.  Jigging with a bait with rattles has helped to pull in walleyes.  Fish houses on the ice through March 31st, walleyes and saugers open through April 14. 

• JeremyJohnson
      By JeremyJohnson
      I am from Iowa we are planning a trip up to Big Trout Lake, I was wondering about the ice conditions (snow, slush, and thickness) any info would be appreciated.
    • eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Can I cut the quick connect from the vexilar charger and then cut alligator clips off my lithium charger and switch them with no problems? I know there would be no issue with the alligators on the vex charger. Curious about the lithium with quick connect. The new 20 has the quick connect. 
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      On a lake near Sugar. Got on to some great sunfish they were deeper than I thought 22 feet deep suspended at 14 feet. Nonstop for 2 hours a black tungsten jig worked best I did try plastics for a bit for building up confidence but the fish showed otherwise quickly. Went back to 3 euro worms 4 was to many . Then I got a 10.5 bluegill my first one and wouldn't you know it my phone was about 2 blocks away. So I let her go not going to keep a fish out of water to get a glory picture. Oh well next time. Get out while you can the lakes were good with the warm up but who knows in a couple of weeks. That was on Friday. Drilled a few holes for an older gentleman that just wanted to fish A while I was glad to help out enjoyed chatting with him. Then went out today almost the same thing but unfortunately near a community spot and within 2 hours everyone was out there and a dog peed on my fish house was not happy threw snow on the house cleaned when i got home I left soon after very rude people unfortunately and the fishing died right away oh well.
    • iiccee63
      By iiccee63
      Having fished this lake from shore in the summer and my daughter also and did real well, I can't figure why ice fishing is so bad. 2 full days and nothing! 3" perch galore. Moved around and had my camera. Didn't see any life forms whatsoever!!!!! Never coming back. Hardly a soul on the lake on a 43 degree.Sat.??? What?????👎👎👎
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• CigarGuy
      Isn't there a place next to Spring Bay resort, towards Moosebirds
    • SkunkedAgain
      I'm considering the possibility of getting another snowmobile again. My problem is storage. I have no space at home to store a sled and trailer. I was thinking about storing it somewhere near-ish the west end of the lake so that I can pick it up, tow it the short trip to The Landing, and then get to my place. Are there any options besides Vermilion Drive Storage on Hwy 24 just north of Cook? I reached out to them but want to make sure that I've checked out all of my options.
    • Wanderer
      Sticks like smurfy said, or an arm full of cattails.  I always made sure I had enough lumber marking my holes nothing would sink or blow away and could be seen from a good way off by a snowmobiler.   Like anything else, some people care; some don’t.     Other suggestion, look up some of the old “Look and Release” videos that were posted on the forums in the past.  Lotta good footage of nice fish left to swim away.
    • smurfy
      BINGO!! There isn't a time out that I don't laugh my arse off watching the way some of them pike act. That's the most fun of spearing.  
    • smurfy
      Usually by grabbing a stick, piece of brush, downed branches from shore.
    • monstermoose78
      Release is not chucking the spear!
    • gimruis
      Absolutely.  But angling with hook and line has the option for catch and release.  Spearing does not have that option.
    • gimruis
      If you don't mind me asking, how are old spear holes supposed to be marked?  I'm not familiar with this issue.
    • smurfy
      well I just drove past pokey like about 11;30 today on 169...……...and not to many are out and about just yet.😀 talked to a few locals..still pretty tough getting around on some of the lakes!!!!
    • smurfy
      I use mine on and off fishing. I have a sun shield for mine in the summer. it works ok at best. but I do use it to watch fish and check structure. I just used it the last 3 weekends tipup fishing. its both fun and frustrating. to watch a pike grab the sucker, mess with it then let it go, and watch there behavior is crazy fun. and frustrating. I bought a tripod for mine and you can zero in on your bait, but it does take a bit of playing to get it set right. I lost the little rubber stopper so I use a couple winter depth finders. the only downfall is the deeper you need to set it, the more risk you have of a fish tangling up in it!!!!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.