• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see what is shared. Just 99 cents to join. Click here please.

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Lukas Bentzler

Ice Fishing Around Winona Mn?

Lukas Bentzler

I am new to ice fishing and live in Winona. Last year I tried lake Winona but couldn't get on any fish. Where do you guys reccomend to go for panfish? Gills crappie and perch are my favorite to eat!

Rick

Check those backwaters out. Lots of fish there. Just look for the cars parked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bucketcastle

Following the crowd will get you fish, maybe not too many keepers though.  When you do follow them pull up a lake map and try to figure out why they're fishing there.  If its in your budget, a base model flasher for yourself for Christmas this year will definitely help you find fish, along with putting the time in to find/figure the fish out.  Learning a lake for average guys like me takes years.

• Thanks 1

Rick

Safety matters.

Not sure what you know about backwaters ice fishing @Bucketcastle but a newbie is best served going where others have already paved a trail. Especially in the backwaters where currents can be tricky.

So if you're new to those backwaters definitely look for parked vehicles and follow their trails. You will catch plenty of keepers that way as well.

Have fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

CJH
5 hours ago, Rick said:

Safety matters.

Not sure what you know about backwaters ice fishing @Bucketcastle but a newbie is best served going where others have already paved a trail. Especially in the backwaters where currents can be tricky.

So if you're new to those backwaters definitely look for parked vehicles and follow their trails. You will catch plenty of keepers that way as well.

Have fun.

I grew up in Winona (didn't ice fish back then) but the Mississippi River  is NOT to be messed with - it will always win.  Fantastic fishing, but definitely take baby steps in getting to know it.   

Might be a good idea to Post in the SE MN section and see if somebody would let you tag along.

Edited by CJH
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Bucketcastle
6 hours ago, Rick said:

Safety matters.

Have fun.

@Rick, good point, I haven't done much backwater fishing.  I have found myself on 3" with a solid current under the ice and ice cracking under my bucket while I sat on it.  I literally crawled away to thicker ice.  I'm not putting myself in that scenario ever again.

• Like 1

Borch

Just remember that ice with current has 1/2 the strength as ice without current.  So in the example you gave you were actually sitting on 1 1/2" of what regular ice will hold. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1