• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe_Don

Well the snow stuck and and water is coming up through the ice.    On horseshoe it look like we got about 10" of heavy stuff.   Now the bad news is that Winter storm Ezekiel is next on Friday through Sunday.    This storm may have just been practice.   The next one is looking bigger at the moment.   Oh well maybe next year for good walleye fishing since it could be weeks yet maybe?    By the time i get out there the best bite will be done for sure.

Don

• Wow, COOL! 1

eyeguy 54

wow! only 3 here and not terrible wet

• I Like it 1

IceHawk

Yah we got hit pretty good over here my guess is at least 8 plus and its wet and heavy. Drove by chain and she stuck to existing ice. Its going to be a slush fest till some cold weather locks it up. It will setup for some crappy ice conditons in spots for sure.  Good part a lot of it was open or thin enough to sink it. So hopefully we get lucky and with some cold weather she refreezes good and hard before another dump.. We didn't need this crap this early for sure!😡

• Wow, COOL! 1

smurfy
1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

Yah we got hit pretty good over here my guess is at least 8 plus and its wet and heavy. Drove by chain and she stuck to existing ice. Its going to be a slush fest till some cold weather locks it up. It will setup for some crappy ice conditons in spots for sure.  Good part a lot of it was open or thin enough to sink it. So hopefully we get lucky and with some cold weather she refreezes good and hard before another dump.. We didn't need this dump this early for sure!😡

maybe you got time now to finish the 94/hwy 23 construction and open them lanes!!!!!!!!😊🤣🤔

IceHawk
5 minutes ago, smurfy said:

maybe you got time now to finish the 94/hwy 23 construction and open them lanes!!!!!!!!😊🤣🤔

They are done smurf.  I  got that project done this fall those off ramps are ready to go on my end. 😉 Blame  that one on MN DOT, its a signage issue on there part  don't ask me why 🙄 I believe they need to put some guardrails up also. She will be open this spring, 

• Thumbs Up 2

Borch

I'd guess 7+ inches here.  Had to clean out the auger system on the blower before I put it away.  Snow sticking to everything.  Would have been a block of ice once the temps drop.

Hope they're wrong about the weekend.  Right now at least a short drive northwest and the ice should still be good.

smurfy
1 hour ago, IceHawk said:

They are done smurf.  I  got that project done this fall those off ramps are ready to go on my end. 😉 Blame  that one on MN DOT, its a signage issue on there part  don't ask me why 🙄 I believe they need to put some guardrails up also. She will be open this spring, 

🤣😎 i figured that was the issue!!!!! i did see you leaning on the shovel one day!!!!!!!!!!😆 thats gonna be great when its open!!!!!!!!!!

sorry just couldnt let that slide.

borch............ i'm hearing nasty reports for out that way. fargo already has a winter weather alert out, dont know how far out that reaches??????? i seen or heard where this stuff we just had is just a prelude to a bigger pile of dump coming in this weekend for around here. hope not.  

• Wow, COOL! 1

Horseshoe_Don

Anything north of here is going to get burried they are talking over a foot up north

Don

• Wow, COOL! 1

smurfy
22 minutes ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Anything north of here is going to get burried they are talking over a foot up north

Don

yep...…….just seen that to...…….if there anywhere close to being correct. not sure i'll even buy a spearchucker license.😩 unless of course I get some hot tips on good pike lakes around here.😊😉

merc

I fish Bow a lot in winter, saw Geigers post but can't see anyone off their camera. Hope this weekend snow doesn't hit up there or it will be just like last year.

• Thanks 1

smurfy

well if these weather terrorists are even remotely correct this next weather system is going to totally ruin any ice.

better get going and get my fishhouses out from the back shed so they can sit it the garage.

• Confused 1

Horseshoe_Don

Looks like it will be a good year not to own a wheel house.    Portable will be the ticket.   Wheel houses may never get out.

Don

• Wow, COOL! 1

Rick G

Jeez, you guys.... it's still a very long cold winter ahead😉 pretty sure we will still get out... just going to be a little bit yet.. it will all freeze up, just need some good cold weather

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
  • Yayyyy 2

smurfy
1 hour ago, Rick G said:

Jeez, you guys.... it's still a very long cold winter ahead😉 pretty sure we will still get out... just going to be a little bit yet.. it will all freeze up, just need some good cold weather

I hear ya...….but there are traditions...……...and i'm gonna miss the first 2.😩 with the 7 plus inches of ice on the lakes up north and all this snow...……. i'm getting to darn old to be fighting slush. takes all the fun outta fishing.

• Wow, COOL! 1

Horseshoe_Don
19 hours ago, Rick G said:

We will never get out.  Sell all of your gear now while you still can.   Lol

• Yayyyy 4

eyeguy 54

Time to thaw out a couple more venny quarters to cut up next week. Will daydream I am on the ice catching gills. 

• Yayyyy 1

smurfy
1 hour ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

We will never get out.  Sell all of your gear now while you still can.   Lol

naw, there's always next year...……...or feb!!!!!!!!!!

• I Like it 1

IceHawk

Just going to require patience and a little work once it gets here. We have all went through this and fished in worse conditions. but we will adapt. I was already iceing  local walleyes last year at this time but mother nature is throwing us a curve ball. Yes it bites but I guess we have to deal with it. Schmitty sleds will be built etc.  I already threw on all 4 chains on the wheeler as I'm expecting its going to be one of those years where foot travel and ATVS SLEDS will be the transportation for some time . Lets just all hope its less snow then predicited. This kind of stuff makes me glad I keep my boat in the water and fish as hard as I do in the fall. Makes it easier to cope with. The anglers who put there boats away around labor day wknd WOW😲 Long wait !

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

eyeguy 54

For sure gonna be more walking for a while. Started exercising a bit a week ago. Gotta keep working the cardio some so I survive when I do get out. Been lazy since September and huffed and puffed toooo much moving that deer around for gutting.  Sheesh! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, COOL! 1

jigginjim

Guys laughed at me when I said "an airboat would be good for first ice and at the end of the season." My

thought was for guide trips, driving out on 2 inches whatever. stand inside boat and drill a hole. This year that would be good, no worries as to thin ice or slush, you slide over the top. Maybe do as the eskimos flatbottom boats and ice picks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, COOL! 1

smurfy

sounds like a fish story to me Rick!!!!!!!!!!🤣🤣

• Wow, COOL! 1

Rick
18 hours ago, smurfy said:

sounds like a fish story to me Rick!!!!!!!!!!🤣🤣

Did I mention the shiners @kelly-p's dad would give me to fish for those crappies.

Yeah, full blown lake shiners from 3 to 6 inches and we hammered them using them. Being a long time small crappie minnow guy, I couldn't believe it. That was before plastics were in vogue.

• Thumbs Up 2

IceHawk
2 hours ago, Rick said:

Did I mention the shiners @kelly-p's dad would give me to fish for those crappies.

Yeah, full blown lake shiners from 3 to 6 inches and we hammered them using them. Being a long time small crappie minnow guy, I couldn't believe it. That was before plastics were in vogue.

I can relate to that Rick back in the early 80's we use to catch big White crappies on Rice lake all the time on shiners. They were huge some up t 15 plus. Sadly they have been depleted over the years and catching one out there has become a rare experience. Those Red lake crappies were a different beast. I remember our FM get together years ago you were there 😉 Hanson, Dtro, Harvey lee ,Jim Almquist  Borch what a time. Especially sitting at Tall Tails listening to the Red lake legends(Kelly P etc) tell there stories.  😀😀 I was green to those Beasts up there and took some advice from Borch. I was totally blown away what they were takeing in.  We were using  1/4 inch jig heads with 4-5 inch power baits. I doubted Borch LOL but boy was I wrong. Once I found a school it was game on we iced crap after crap on them and they weren't lite on the chew they were engulfing it! Granted they were 12-14 inch average and a few over 15 total beasts and a different breed form sure. Man I miss those days!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Rick
3 hours ago, IceHawk said:

I can relate to that Rick back in the early 80's we use to catch big White crappies on Rice lake all the time on shiners. They were huge some up t 15 plus. Sadly they have been depleted over the years and catching one out there has become a rare experience. Those Red lake crappies were a different beast. I remember our FM get together years ago you were there 😉 Hanson, Dtro, Harvey lee ,Jim Almquist  Borch what a time. Especially sitting at Tall Tails listening to the Red lake legends(Kelly P etc) tell there stories.  😀😀 I was green to those Beasts up there and took some advice from Borch. I was totally blown away what they were takeing in.  We were using  1/4 inch jig heads with 4-5 inch power baits. I doubted Borch LOL but boy was I wrong. Once I found a school it was game on we iced crap after crap on them and they weren't lite on the chew they were engulfing it! Granted they were 12-14 inch average and a few over 15 total beasts and a different breed form sure. Man I miss those days!

Yep, me too. Good times.

Horseshoe_Don

Most of the chain is frozen over now.    I checked my shoreline which has been ice covered and there is a good layer of slush just under the surface yet.    I will go out farther tomorrow and check that ice that i am thinking is better

Don

• Thumbs Up 2

Borch

Looking forward to a report Don.  Be safe.

IceHawk

Be safe Don your bay looks like it could have some slush. Keep us posted weird out there where ever there was ice is white and where it was open is clean ice. Noticed mud just froze over on the S tip of the island. Heads up if anyone plans on fishing Eden early ice. There has been a big flock of geese rafting in front of the access keeping a spot open so the ice will defiantely be thinner in that area once they vacate. 

• Thanks 1

Horseshoe_Don

Well i got out this morning to check.    Went out farther that I thought I would.    Here is what i found.    3" of solid ice then 1 inch of slush then 2" of frozen slush.    So when the cold snap hits Monday I should have 6+ inches here on shoe.    The areas the froze last that were open water I have not checked but they do not look like they have much.

I may try to get out in front of the house in the next couple of days.    Ice seemed plenty safe for walking here.   The farther I went out the less slush there is.  

But that is only in my little corner of the world I am sure it varies out there and is unsafe overall

Don

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

JustinN
1 hour ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Well i got out this morning to check.    Went out farther that I thought I would.    Here is what i found.    3" of solid ice then 1 inch of slush then 2" of frozen slush.    So when the cold snap hits Monday I should have 6+ inches here on shoe.    The areas the froze last that were open water I have not checked but they do not look like they have much.

I may try to get out in front of the house in the next couple of days.    Ice seemed plenty safe for walking here.   The farther I went out the less slush there is.  

But that is only in my little corner of the world I am sure it varies out there and is unsafe overall

Don

Thank you for the report Don! Much appreciated. Can't wait to get out there and do some kitty and eye chasin'.