• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horseshoe_Don

Just checked the ice this afternoon and Shoe has 2.5" of ice and is 100% ice covered with some river current areas.  Summer access is no longer open.    I will be starting to ice fish as soon as I am done deer hunting in front of my house.    I predict a limit of walleyes first night out.

Don

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Coleman
14 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Just checked the ice this afternoon and Shoe has 2.5" of ice and is 100% ice covered with some river current areas.  Summer access is no longer open.    I will be starting to ice fish as soon as I am done deer hunting in front of my house.    I predict a limit of walleyes first night out.

Don

Nice, I checked out the summer landing on Monday, and it was locked up tight.  

Do you mind sharing where you're catching keeper walleyes this time of year?  I've struggled to find fish that are over 12".  Mainly on the south side of Elkview Circle.  Also, the fished the hump on the west side of the main lake.  

Rick
2 hours ago, Coleman said:

Nice, I checked out the summer landing on Monday, and it was locked up tight.  

Do you mind sharing where you're catching keeper walleyes this time of year?  I've struggled to find fish that are over 12".  Mainly on the south side of Elkview Circle.  Also, the fished the hump on the west side of the main lake.  

Ummmm yeah 😳🙄😉😏😁

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

ozzie

cmon Rick isn't that what this site is for?😉  Go ahead and tell them where the keeper walleyes are being caught!!  I swear I won't tell😀 

• Haha 1

Rick G

Normal first ice, look shallow😉 some of my best days out there the last few years have come from less than 10ft of water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horseshoe_Don

As of today over 4"  if you know the lake it is fishable now.  If you do not I would wait for safety.  Probably should wear a life jacket this early.  Going to be a good year with this early ice

Don

• Like 1

Coleman
18 hours ago, ozzie said:

cmon Rick isn't that what this site is for?😉  Go ahead and tell them where the keeper walleyes are being caught!!  I swear I won't tell😀 

I wasn't looking for exact locations, just ideas.  

I guess I don't understand the whole secrete spots thing.  I don't mind telling anyone exactly where, what and when I was fishing if I was successful.  Again, I'm not looking for that, just general ideas.  I know the lake well enough to find fish. But, I just recently, last winter, starting fishing it during winter.  I've mainly done C&R catfish, because, lets be honest they're a lot more fun to catch then walleye.  

• Like 1

ozzie

just good natured ribbing😉 not serious! but if someone wanted to give out their secret spots...🤐 

• Haha 1

Horseshoe_Don

Okay my secret.spot is off that point by the sandbar where I set up.  Really good spot on the chain 

Don

• Haha 2

leech~~
1 hour ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Okay my secret.spot is off that point by the sandbar where I set up.  Really good spot on the chain 

Don

Is that the one point with a cabin on it, or the one with the Oak tree?  😏

• Wow 1

Huntin&Fishin
9 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

As of today over 4"  if you know the lake it is fishable now.  If you do not I would wait for safety.  Probably should wear a life jacket this early.  Going to be a good year with this early ice

Don

That is if the snow holds off

Edited by Huntin&Fishin
  • Wow 1

Coleman
4 hours ago, Horseshoe_Don said:

Don

Honestly, that narrows it down quiet a bit. There's only so many points by a sand bar. 😄

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Rick G
On 11/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, Horseshoe_Don said:

Don

Oddly enough.... I know that spot.  Have done really well in the fall, fishing the saddle between the two pieces of structure😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Borch

No. No, No....

It's the shallow rock pile off the.inside corner of the old river channel.  

Jeez....

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2

Horseshoe_Don

got home tonight from deer hunting and decided to check the ice.    I had trouble finding a spot to get on the ice since  it has pulled away for the shoreline.    Once I got out on the ice I found 5" of clear solid ice out as far as 100 yards.

Don   

• Thumbs Up 1

eyeguy 54

I was busy this last week butchering and killing but thx for the tips on those spots! :)

smurfy

I can't believe the ice is that thick on the shoe already. There was open water on the spunk lake off 94 in Avon on Friday afternoon 

• Thanks 1

Coleman

Water temp on the river was 35° on Saturday afternoon. And skim of ice west of Cyt Rd 49. I think this will be the last time I'm out in the boat this year. 

20191116_133659.jpg

20191116_134603.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

IceHawk

Things are starting to deteriorate out there checked a few different spots and the ice is definitely weakening . Firmness is slowly starting to go down hill and water is starting to form on top.  Noticed where there are current areas the ice is opening back up and cracks are forming. Going to b a little bit before its safe so please use common sense especially on this system as things change fast. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

eyeguy 54

thx for the update. no rush for this guy to get out.

• Thumbs Up 1

IceHawk

Well stick a fork in the ice around my area most of the lakes in this area are starting to open  back up. Koronis was wide open today, Found some fishable ice earlier in the week in the Detroit lakes area but one of my buds was on the lake we fished and he said even that was starting to soften. Going to need some cold temps and windless days to firm things back up .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

jigginjim

May need to take the boat and the ice chisel for fishing. I had a guy from Texas call, I told him we are in Zombie land of fish. Too much ice for the boat but not enough to walk on. 

• Thanks 1

smurfy

I'm thinking you guys might be real fortunate the ice all but went away if these weather morjits are even close to being right. The snow there predicting would raise Cain with the ice. 

The cabin lake in Itasca county had 7 inches of ice and I'm afraid it's going to totally screw up the small lakes that are completely froze over just like last year.

• Wow 1

Tom Sawyer
8 minutes ago, smurfy said:

I'm afraid it's going to totally screw up the small lakes that are completely froze over just like last year.

You are totally correct sir. 6"s of heavy wet snow, will not only cause some serious slush problems, water weakens what little ice out there.  It will also take extra cold temps to gain ice underneath, once that slush does firm up.

Don't forget the spud bar!!!

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow 1

eyeguy 54

Guys are out on Bowstring.  Hope to get up there this winter.

• Thanks 1

IceHawk

Smurfy you are right best thing a lot of the chain and surrounding area lakes are open. Best case scenario if this snow hits. Some of the covered areas will definatly have some flooding for sure. Hope there wrong and it by passes us .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Tom Sawyer

Could be very dangerous with already thin areas being snow covered. 

BE SAFE!

• Like 1

Horseshoe_Don

might not be as bad as we think there are supposed to be 30mph winds.   All ice covered area the snow will blow off.    In front of my place the bay remains 100% ice covered

Don

• Thanks 1

smurfy

well keep in mind...……..this is only supposed to be round 1. round 2 according to the weather clowns comes in this weekend.

Borch

Hoping for the best.  But this heavy wet stuff will likely stick rather that be blown off the lakes.  Hope it's colder than they predict and it's not as sticky.  Sounds like we're in for a cold stretch afterwards.  😊

• Thanks 1