• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Plastics

eyeguy 54

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

But what brands? How are we suppose to know which ones to buy from? ?

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1

if I don't put the brands in post you wont say kick back!  LOL  ;)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2

You get kick backs too Eyeguy

• Yayyyy 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

But what brands? How are we suppose to know which ones to buy from? ?

Go shopping! ?  I don’t carry as many plastics as these guys do but I recognize more than half of them.  Try Clam and Impulse for starters.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

There are allot of great ones out there, and some cool new ones coming out this year, as Wanderer says, go shopping. What works for one person may not for another. Depends on how you fish them, jig wt. line wt. colors, sizes, etc. and your ability to try them, stick with them, and gain confidence with the presentation.  Good luck !!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

47 minutes ago, Sculpin said:

There are allot of great ones out there, and some cool new ones coming out this year, as Wanderer says, go shopping. What works for one person may not for another. Depends on how you fish them, jig wt. line wt. colors, sizes, etc. and your ability to try them, stick with them, and gain confidence with the presentation.  Good luck !!

Are you new here?  eyeguy knows I was pulling his leg.  ?

• Wow, ❤ 1

38 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Are you new here?  eyeguy knows I was pulling his leg.  ?

But you looked so sad in your post.... ?

35 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

But you looked so sad in your post.... ?

That's call, for effect!  ?

2 hours ago, Sculpin said:

Great advice!  I was a sceptic about the plastics and had a hard time putting the red euros away. Gaining confidence and having a couple good teachers is key.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

@eyeguy 54, looks like a good variety.  I've been slow getting into plastics.  Picked up some 1" plastic minnows today along with plastic waxies.  Going to give it a descent try this year.  I have had good luck using small dough balls (nibbles) on various jigs for panfish.

• I Like it 1

I used almost exclusively plastics last year for crappies and they were usually more consistent than minnows or wax. Though I will say that my buddy seemed to always get the biggest crappie of the day on the minnow. 13 Fishing has some good ones that worked well last year for me. A bit pricey but held up better than other brands I've tried. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 6:55 PM, kunzi26 said:

I used almost exclusively plastics last year for crappies and they were usually more consistent than minnows or wax. Though I will say that my buddy seemed to always get the biggest crappie of the day on the minnow. 13 Fishing has some good ones that worked well last year for me. A bit pricey but held up better than other brands I've tried. 

I find that the sunfish-to-crappie ratio skews toward more sunfish when fishing waxies or spikes and skews toward more crappies when when fishing plastics.

I fish plastics as much as bait, but I don't have enough confidence in them to go out without bait. I'm getting closer every year.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
8 hours ago, popriveter said:

I find that the sunfish-to-crappie ratio skews toward more sunfish when fishing waxies or spikes and skews toward more crappies when when fishing plastics.

I fish plastics as much as bait, but I don't have enough confidence in them to go out without bait. I'm getting closer every year.

I built confidence in plastics by going without bait. Amazing what you learn to do when plastics and artificials are your only options.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep. Leave the bait home and jiggle jiggle jiggle. ???

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

Please show some pics of good crappie plastics. Good thing is one scoop of minnows will stay alive forever in the winter.

Some plastics will last thru many crappies. Some maybe one. ? Slug bugs. Mayflies. Wishbones. Wedgees

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CigarGuy said:

Does scented make a difference? How about some different ones for walleyes?

I've used both and haven't seen a significant advantage for either. So for ice fishing with plastics it's usually not scented.

Just trying to hold the rod still in your hand can give the plastic enough realism/movement to cause a curious fish to inhale it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rick said:

I've used both and haven't seen a significant advantage for either. So for ice fishing with plastics it's usually not scented.

In fact, I can't think of a company that doesn't add scent in their products, either during the production, or at least adding a scented oil before packaging, usally with actual plastic baits. There are some good ones too, but all are scented with oil before packaging. 

I think there needs to be clarity in "plastic". I am a believer in using more of the actually formulated with fish food. These are way beyond just being scented. Fish smell it, and actually want to eat it. Examples, Impulse, Powerbait, and TriggerX, which have been proven to catch more fish, side by side, to plain "plastic".

Been adding liquid scent to spoons, rip baits and even live minnows, to help intice more bites for years. Scent works.  Hand soap during the cold water periods is just as important to hide human scent. Cold water is very dense, and holds scent, both good and bad ?

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

46 minutes ago, Tom Sawyer said:

In fact, I can't think of a company that doesn't add scent in their products, either during the production, or at least adding a scented oil before packaging, usally with actual plastic baits. There are some good ones too, but all are scented with oil before packaging. 

I think there needs to be clarity in "plastic". I am a believer in using more of the actually formulated with fish food. These are way beyond just being scented. Fish smell it, and actually want to eat it. Examples, Impulse, Powerbait, and TriggerX, which have been proven to catch more fish, side by side, to plain "plastic".

Been adding liquid scent to spoons, rip baits and even live minnows, to help intice more bites for years. Scent works.  Hand soap during the cold water periods is just as important to hide human scent. Cold water is very dense, and holds scent, both good and bad ?

Good thought Tom. My main point is I don't worry about the scent when fishing for panfish, especially in clearer water. I believe the type of movement you impart on the lure is much more important in both attracting and triggering a strike.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cadence, and lack there of is important. Been trying to put all the pieces together, ever since I could handle a spud bar. 

My buds can usually smell be down wind from all the bottles of scent I have on me ?

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • I Like it 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

A little tip for those that want to add a little scent to your unscented  plastics naturally. Take a bait puck grab some of the plastics you want to use for the day and add couple minnows to puck or a few euro larvae or waxworms. Doesn't get any more natural than that.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 2

10 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

A little tip for those that want to add a little scent to your unscented  plastics naturally. Take a bait puck grab some of the plastics you want to use for the day and add couple minnows to puck or a few euro larvae or waxworms. Doesn't get any more natural than that.  

This I will definitely try this season.  Thank you for the tip @IceHawk

Another option for those that don't have bait laying around or don't want to buy any is to buy a bottle of Berkley gulp recharge and add a little to a bait puck or plastic bag with your plastics for the day.  I myself never go on the ice without a puck with some kind of meat. Call me crazy  but  I've seen situations where it has outperformed plastics.  Fortunately for myself I have a bait fridge in the garage with euro and waxies and a insulated aeroated minnow tank with minnows all winter. A Minnie bait store so to say.?

• I Like it 1

Hey Chris what about the tip on putting your favorite concoction in a generic spray bottle to keep it secret, while you proceed to school everyone at the Catfish Get Together ?

I rarely use live bait anymore unless I'm gonna use 2 rods.  Plastics, gulp,  tied tungsten flies, jigging raps,  rippin raps, darters... the list goes on.  There has been a few times though that a minnow head on a spoon out produced anything I had.  Good thing I had a buddy who borrowed me a few. ?

• Yayyyy 1

good tips guys. indeed a good idea to bring some meat along. I find myself using it less and less but good to have in the pocket. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Hey Chris what about the tip on putting your favorite concoction in a generic spray bottle to keep it secret, while you proceed to school everyone at the Catfish Get Together ?

Got a few bottles sitting on the shelf right now just wqiting to fire up some of those ice kitty cats. Unfortunately Tom I cant no pun intended let the cat out of the bag on this one. Those secret ingrediants that I've come up with over the years will have to remain a secret ? It does work that's  for sure.

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1