• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

That’s interesting.  I had not seen one either since we got our cabin in 2013, then caught this one on my webcam a few weeks ago.

2ECF7EAE-44C2-443D-B452-A9D5C5098E42.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Where on South Pine Island?

We live on South Pine Island East of Canfield Bay, and Bears roll through our property occasionally.  We have outdoor speakers hooked up to SiriusXM that we usually leave on to announce our presence.

Edited by chucker1101
  • Wow, ❤ 1

I know there were two sightings recently on Hinsdale and also on the island next to ours (Jupiter Island) in Smarts/Frazer area

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chucker1101 said:

Where on South Pine Island?

We live on South Pine Island East of Canfield Bay, and Bears roll through our property occasionally.  We have outdoor speakers hooked up to SiriusXM that we usually leave on to announce our presence.

It was West of Canfield. The East end of Comet was behind me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
10 hours ago, tarpon6 said:

After getting a drink he went to lay down. Wasn't the least bit concerned with me. Eventually he put his head down and and obviously wanted to sleep so I moved on and let him get his rest.

20190907_150048 (1).jpg

You took this with a cell phone?  What one do you have? Great shot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I also saw one this summer in the narrows between Porcupine Island and the peninsula (between Partridge River and Wakemup/Norwegian). Hadn't seen one in years. I also saw that one of the guides posted a picture of a bull moose swimming along the NE side of Taylor's Island this summer as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s my entry from Wake Em Up Narrows a couple weeks ago.  Heard from the local resort owner this bear has been hanging around the area and actually nudged a guest who was taking a mid-day snooze on the deck of one of their cabins.  Took him a few seconds to realize he wasn’t looking at a dog. 

92014E75-D336-47BD-922A-3C49C5E1F17D.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 2

Here's a couple more, pretty sure it's the same one. First photo is right behind my garage. Neighbor also chased a cub up a tree behind our place. It's hitting an apple tree in there yard. I'm going to put a camera by the apple tree today.

IMG_20190919_165040319.jpg

IMG_20190919_201836734.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Lol, I hate it when they chew trail cams!  That was the last shot we got too on a cam a few years ago before we through in the trash! ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

20 hours ago, jkrash said:

This one ate a dumpster full of garbage last week, he should be good for the winter.:P

20 hours ago, jkrash said:

This one ate a dumpster full of garbage last week, he should be good for the winter.:P

Hey John , your pic or video isn’t showing up right , at least what I’m seeing .

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, leech~~ said:

You took this with a cell phone?  What one do you have? Great shot. 

Samsung Note 10+.  It does have a great camera.  Had to use the digital zoom on that shot.  Wish I had my wildlife camera with me.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:21 AM, Big V Bobcat said:

I also saw one this summer in the narrows between Porcupine Island and the peninsula (between Partridge River and Wakemup/Norwegian). Hadn't seen one in years. I also saw that one of the guides posted a picture of a bull moose swimming along the NE side of Taylor's Island this summer as well.

What guide was it? I'd like to see the picture, that getting kinda close to me. Always wanted to see one up here

Spotted this small cub up in pine near the water in Wolf Bay.  He was at least up 40ft high maybe higher.  There is an eagles nest about 5ft higher(no babies this year).  Eagles still come an sit up there quite often.

B4A08DDA-8FD9-48CA-B40B-06CE170C1356.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Wow, ❤ 2

Had a sow and two cubs on our property on Richie Bay in late June.  Over the years I have learned there are bears all over this area but you rarely see them unless you are baiting them.  Generally harmless unless you get between sow and cubs.

• I Like it 1

• 1 year later...

We saw a bear on south side of Pine Island from our neighboring island as pointed out by a passing fisherman three nights ago. First time in quite some time. The next night while fishing 300 years away, I hear the neying of a panicking fawn, crashing of trees branches. I see the fawn pushed to the lake shore, the fawn is caught by the bear. The neying slowly fades. The bear is on shore for 20 seconds, then disappears into the woods.

Nature....

And, I thought they ate blueberries.

• Wow, ❤ 2

Bears are eaters of opportunity....like myself. Usually if they are being carnivores, it's getting the young ones. 

Black bears also kill a large number of moose calves, though not near as much as wolves do.