• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm catching some nice crappies and walleye on pelican does anyone know how the fishing is on blue lake

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like you were inquiring about trout action last winter, on this lake as well. I've fished it plenty in boat n on ice and have not landed any 'bows. I think I had one on once but didn't get a good look at it. I was out there about a week ago and boated 1 eater eye. I've never seen any great action there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've fished it a few times caught a small one through the ice and had a nice one follow my lure up to the boat I wish there were more trout lakes close to dl bad medicine has been over fished Hanson is full of little crappies and small rainbows. Just wish I could find a decent place to fish for trout. Thanks for the info. 

Straight River has a decent population of browns... Nowhere for em to hide. Just have to put in the time to learn it, like any body of water. Bad medicine has decent population of 'bows also. I know people who have done very well out there. Both would be better options than blue, I think!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a 4.5 day vacation camping out on Bad Medicine.  First morning 3 decent trout and after that 12-14 inch trout were all we could find.  My number 1 spot I never marked a fish.  I agree it's been fished too hard lately so hoping it will come back from it, only time will tell.  

I've gotten to know a guy who lives on Blue and he has the same above mentioned results as you guys have stated.  They are tough if in low populations and hard to find if you aren't fishing them often.

I love trout fishing and I agree with there were more spots to fish locally for them but something I did NOT know is that the White Earth DNR stocks a ton of lakes up there and the MN DNR does not reflect those stocking numbers.  Odd I know because a buddy caught a HUGE brown one year and I couldn't even find that they were stocked in the county the lake was in.  We fished it one morning and we caught trout but everything was against us for trying to get on them.  Everyone over slept.  Clear day no wind.  Then wind picked up to 20 in minutes.  No lake data for contours to try and find spots to target them.  We landed like 4 rainbows and all were just bulging for the stomachs and I had one fish that when it hit the reel seat broke on my rod.  I had to try and figure that out while it was fighting me and ultimately I lost the fish.  I still don't know what it was but I'm wondering if I had hooked into a brown.  

The problem though with a lot of the lakes on the tribe are that they don't have public accesses so it's canoe landings or if there is a public access you are back in there miles on logging trails hoping you don't break down and poke a tire with a tree on the edge of the road.  I want to try that lake again but it was such a haul to get back in there and without a bigger pickup I won't attempt it if its been wet.

• Thumbs Up 1

The red lake band also has trout lakes. I am under the impression that the tribe stocks them and manages them and non members must be with a tribal guide to fish them. I've heard some unbelievable stories from those lakes but have never been invited.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/21/2019 at 7:57 PM, BIGFISH.JZ said:

The red lake band also has trout lakes. I am under the impression that the tribe stocks them and manages them and non members must be with a tribal guide to fish them. I've heard some unbelievable stories from those lakes but have never been invited.

I have been up to Red Lake many times trout fishing and have a great guide that charges half of what the other guys are charging.

Red Lake Band requires non tribal members to buy a license (Day 10$, Year think 45$) and has to be accompanied by a certified tribal guide, they have a list of guides approved online.  That guide can take no more than 6 non tribal members out at a time but can have multiple guides to help get above that number.  I have had groups up to 18 and will have 3 guides to fulfill the requirement.  They stock them like crazy up there because from November 1st through a date in May fishing is closed to everything EXCEPT rainbow and brook trout which stays open all year long.  Average Brook are 8-10 inches but we have gotten them over 12 inches and rainbows average 12-14 inches but have seen over 20" caught before.  In depth Outdoors did a video about 6 or 7 years ago from up there and started getting the word out about the fishing.  The guide I use has a ranger with tracks so as long as he's got safe ice he'll get anywhere you want.  Some lakes are easy to get to and from and get pounded so they stock them like crazy.  Last year I took a total of 18 of us up there and most were kids and we had our limit in about 4-5 hours.  An adult limit is 5 and a youth is 3 I believe.  Youth are usually free with most reputable guides you just have to buy a license.  Warning is be careful up there and never pre pay.  I got screwed out of 2 adult trips by a very well known guide up there and thankfully I went another route because he quit responding to messages and calls and that's where I found the new guy and he's awesome.  These small lakes up there have a ton of gills over 10" and a lot of crappies over 14" so it's cool to see these lakes but they are hard to get in and out of and of course not the best of accesses if there are any on a lake.  If you have any questions message me and I'll hook you up with a guide, I don't like to advertise on forums for their privacy reasons.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

Does the white earth DNR give stocking information online?

I tried hard to find this and I never did find stocking information.  A buddy had a contact and could access it and he never shared it with me.  It might not hurt to contact them via email to see if they post their stocking reports online or not.  Sorry not much help on that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1