• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

5 hours ago, TSquared said:

I guess the point is you really can't buy any of the new units without it and it come on as the default. 

Fake chirp as marketing gimmick.    They need something to convince folks to buy their unit and dump their unit from two years ago.   

I am reserving judgement on the new higher frequency units.  "mega" and equiv.   Side scan actually seems like it could be useful.  Lots of stuff is changing these days in electronics.    

I think what would be cool is an underwater drone with several transducers that communicates back to the boat wirelessly with sonar and video.....    Fresh water doesn't block radio waves too much so probably could use radio communication at least for a limited distance.       Some sort of modulated acoustic waves would work too.    

Can't you just see, sitting in the boat, driving the mini-sub around looking  for fish, with sonar to help?   I bet the open water musky guys would pay big bucks for one....?

I fished with a guide on the Detroit River two weeks ago who had the new Panoptix unit ($4000 to get setup).  Incredible what you could see as it is a live image.  Have to say it can frustrate the hell out of you sometime,  you see the fish just looking at your bait and then swimming away.  Very cool tech!  You could actually see the fins on the fish in the image and truly judge the size somewhat.  

On 4/23/2019 at 6:41 AM, TSquared said:

I fished with a guide on the Detroit River two weeks ago who had the new Panoptix unit ($4000 to get setup).  Incredible what you could see as it is a live image.  Have to say it can frustrate the hell out of you sometime,  you see the fish just looking at your bait and then swimming away.  Very cool tech!  You could actually see the fins on the fish in the image and truly judge the size somewhat.  

I picked up a panoptix livescope/Garmin 93sv+ this winter and it’s amazing. Working at mounting the transducer on the trolling motor (or somewhere else on the boat) before the ice melts. 

36 minutes ago, mbeyer said:

Pretty dissapointing to read about CHIRP. I fell for it....

I you needed a new unit, they all have CHIRP, and they don't seem to really charge extra for it so don't feel bad.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:19 PM, DLD24 said:

I have a couple Garmins and I like them a lot, especially the new touchscreen.

Interested in seeing how the touchscreen hold up. There's a reason they've been slow coming to the Fishfinder market - mainly the extra cost associated with making them rugged enough for the elements.

Don't know how many times i try to adjust my 'bird with my fingers - once you're trained on other touchscreens it's hard to break the habit.

Jason Quintano from Fins & Grins Guide Service is working to have a mount manufactured specifically for the Panoptix as mounting to a trolling motor is not the best place.  Reach out to him, great guy!

12 hours ago, chucker1101 said:

Interested in seeing how the touchscreen hold up. There's a reason they've been slow coming to the Fishfinder market - mainly the extra cost associated with making them rugged enough for the elements.

Don't know how many times i try to adjust my 'bird with my fingers - once you're trained on other touchscreens it's hard to break the habit.

I'll let ya know how rugged it is, it spent about 2 hours underwater when I put my wheeler through the ice a month ago. I'm scared to try and turn it on haha.

• Yayyyy 1