• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting Giddy!

Went to the Cold Spring landing the water is over where you dock. I may try this weekend to get out there. I will really check it out though don't want any issues and do not want to be on the 6 pm news going over the dam. I was surprised the ice was gone on the landing already. Maybe the water will go down some but maybe me just being wishful.

57 minutes ago, mrpike1973 said:

Went to the Cold Spring landing the water is over where you dock. I may try this weekend to get out there. I will really check it out though don't want any issues and do not want to be on the 6 pm news going over the dam. I was surprised the ice was gone on the landing already. Maybe the water will go down some but maybe me just being wishful.

yea i hate to be the one breaking it to ya but i think your wishful thinking about getting on there  this weekend!!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Smurfy, Thanks I was checking yesterday also I'm going to try another river system this morning it had some ice right at the landing. If that's a no go then Cold Spring but I'm not sure if my car will back up enough before a undercarriage wash before the boat will float?

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

There were 3 truck trailers parked at 22 access yesterday. Also been a couple people shore fishing by the Hwy 22 bridge things are slowly starting. 

I was seriously thinking about getting the boat out of moms shed but with the forecast this week anywhere from an inch to a foot of snow...………...I think i'll wait. ?

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

I was seriously thinking about getting the boat out of moms shed but with the forecast this week anywhere from an inch to a foot of snow...………...I think i'll wait. ?

your Mom lives by Cold Spring???????????

3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

your Mom lives by Cold Spring???????????

5 miles to the west...………...Richmond...………..grew up there and icehawks neck of the woods!!!!!!!!!

On 4/7/2019 at 7:45 AM, IceHawk said:

There were 3 truck trailers parked at 22 access yesterday. Also been a couple people shore fishing by the Hwy 22 bridge things are slowly starting. 

The 22 access is no longer underwater?  I was going to drive by it this weekend, but got preoccupied with other things.  

The Cold Spring access looks like it would work as well.  Can see the first 3-4 concrete platforms.  At least it was this morning.  

The weather this week should be interesting.   

there is a lot of open water on the chain. still ice down by the winter access.  seen a rig with boat trailer at the hwy 22 access yesterday. didn't see the boat however.

6 rigs there yesterday a few going up river and a few out at the meth hole. 3 there today when I went by scouting turkeys. Catfishing hmm lets hope so  ? My guess is a little  scouting or prefishing  for eyes, See it every year early season

How does it look as far as getting to Becker lake?  Maybe try for crappies and sunfish.  Has anybody tried eating the smaller catfish?

Edited by jigginjim

You can get about half way out there as of yesterday. There are a few nice bays open on the front half that usally hold some early season panfish. 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:17 PM, IceHawk said:

6 rigs there yesterday a few going up river and a few out at the meth hole. 3 there today when I went by scouting turkeys. Catfishing hmm lets hope so  ? My guess is a little  scouting or prefishing  for eyes, See it every year early season

You think there would be guys looking for Walleyes at the Meth hole this time of year?  

I know there's still ice on the lakes, but I have to imagine those walleyes are moving to the current by now.  

2 hours ago, Coleman said:

You think there would be guys looking for Walleyes at the Meth hole this time of year?  

I know there's still ice on the lakes, but I have to imagine those walleyes are moving to the current by now.  

Yes  catch and release or eliminate water before opener. Witnessed  this dilema go on for years. Not all but a few rotten eggs. Totally legal.  Mostly the guys heading up river.  The walleyes don't  all go into the river sections.  I've had a few openers out there where we clocked them in the main lakes and everyone was piled up river or by the bridges neck down areas playing bumper boats.  Pretty easy to get away throwing jig minnow combos saying your looking for cats or crappies. ?

20 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Yes  catch and release or eliminate water before opener. Witnessed  this dilema go on for years. Not all but a few rotten eggs. Totally legal.  Mostly the guys heading up river.  The walleyes don't  all go into the river sections.  I've had a few openers out there where we clocked them in the main lakes and everyone was piled up river or by the bridges neck down areas playing bumper boats.  Pretty easy to get away throwing jig minnow combos saying your looking for cats or crappies. ?

Oh, I know there are a few that thing they're above the law. Just can't imagine they're all that successful in that deep water.  

I'm with ya, I might try the 22 bridge, if no one else is around it.  But, I normally fish the south part of Horseshoe, and some of the "banks" in Cedar to avoid the clowns.  This year I'm going to pass on the chain all together.  Gonna try Diamond by Atwater.  

I might get out on Horseshoe tomorrow morning, and do some scouting though.  

mr pike?????????? where you on the river in cold spring this morning at 6;30 am??????:blink::rolleyes::P there where 2 rigs sitting there when i drove by!!!!!!

18 hours ago, smurfy said:

Just an FYI, your not going to avoid a zoo by going to diamond either.

A buddy of mine lives on the creek in the SE corner.  So, we'll do a combo of shore and boat.  I'm mainly bringing my boat for him to see how follow contour and SI works on the new birds.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Coleman said:

A buddy of mine lives on the creek in the SE corner.  So, we'll do a combo of shore and boat.  I'm mainly bringing my boat for him to see how follow contour and SI works on the new birds.  

;)

Sorry Smurfy was not me I was on Belle lake chasing panfish got zero? I think we need a few days of warmer weather but if it does not rain sunday i may come to the river.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
1 hour ago, jigginjim said:

How are the catfish for eating from horseshoe chain?

all I hear is good from those that eat them. 

1 hour ago, jigginjim said:

How are the catfish for eating from horseshoe chain?

I have heard they have a stronger taste than the ones that come from the Mississippi

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I haven't eaten one outside of our cool cats ice fishing get togethers in years.  In the winter they are firm and taste fine it you get the blood line out.  Still they aren't my favorite by any means but they are ok.

They taste nasty.  Don't even try them.

If you catch one, please fillet it, freeze the fillet quickly and get the fillets to me--I have a great place to safely dispose of them! *patting belly* ?

(I always soak the fillets in milk for an hour or few prior to frying--neutralizes the muddy or sour flavor some fish can get...)