• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm taking my family to Johnson Lake first week of July this summer. I've found little to no info on fishing up there. Anyone help out? Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Welcome to the forum.

Which one? That's kind of like asking if anyone knows Robert Anderson in Minnesota! ?

Johnson01013100RossburgAitkin

Johnson01023200BennettvilleAitkin

Johnson03019900RochertBecker

Johnson03037401ShorehamBecker

Johnson04033600Red LakeBeltrami

Johnson11002800RemerCass

Johnson11036300BackusCass

Johnson15008600ClearbrookClearwater

Johnson18032800Lake HubertCrow Wing

Johnson21011200AlexandriaDouglas

Johnson31004500StevensonItasca

Johnson31005900Side LakeItasca

Johnson31058600Grand RapidsItasca

Johnson31068700MarcellItasca

Johnson34001200RosendaleKandiyohi

Johnson34044000SveaKandiyohi

Johnson38024200FinlandLake

Johnson56039300DaltonOtter Tail

Johnson56097900CarlisleOtter Tail

Johnson58007400Sturgeon LakePine

Johnson61001000TerracePope

Johnson69011700ElySt. Louis

Johnson69069100Crane LakeSt. Louis

Johnson76009400BensonSwift

The Johnson Lake ~30 miles NE of Orr. Next to Little Johnson Lake and Spring Lake. NW of Crane Lake.

12 hours ago, Jasopete said:

The Johnson Lake ~30 miles NE of Orr. Next to Little Johnson Lake and Spring Lake. NW of Crane Lake.

Jasopete ,

This Johnson Lake is somewhat remote and is a somewhat clearer lake making walleye fishing a little on on the tougher side , and by this I mean it’s the early a.m , evening ,cloudy with some chop taking place type of lake  . There was , and still might be a small resort on the lake , and also some camping opportunities for staying there ,not sure which option you have chosen for your family visit there . There is a lengthy gravel road to get to the access , and the  access is about a quarter mile of 4wheeler trail that can handle small boats on smaller trailers . If the resort option is what your doing , I  think they will help get you in and out via this trail . It’s a typical Canadian Shield type lake with a option of a scenic boat ride into Little Johnson thru a winding river that’s a few miles long that connects the two that also has walleye ,but is IMHO a better fishery in the spring , but nonetheless a impressive boat ride for your family to take a boat ride into . Also both Johnson’s have Smallmouth and healthy Northerns . Another option is a connected lake to the north of Johnson called Spring lake which boasts a option of catching a Lake Trout , although I believe more trout get caught there during the ice fishing season than summer ,but they are in there .. This option though may depend on having some high water to get into Spring. . . All in all ,if you haven’t been there it should be a fun time for yourself and your family ..  One more thing , that time of year can also present some Mayfly hatches that can at first help the bite , but also can toughen the bite after awhile.. I have found that using a small ( 1/16th oz ) Pearl White leadhead jig with a very tiny to smaller Shiner minnow can sometimes work magic during these hatch conditions... hope this gives you some insight for your upcoming summer trip to this Johnson lake ... Enjoy !

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

30 minutes ago, Bigfatbert said:

Jasopete ,

This Johnson Lake is somewhat remote and is a somewhat clearer lake making walleye fishing a little on on the tougher side , and by this I mean it’s the early a.m , evening ,cloudy with some chop taking place type of lake  . There was , and still might be a small resort on the lake , and also some camping opportunities for staying there ,not sure which option you have chosen for your family visit there . There is a lengthy gravel road to get to the access , and the  access is about a quarter mile of 4wheeler trail that can handle small boats on smaller trailers . If the resort option is what your doing , I  think they will help get you in and out via this trail . It’s a typical Canadian Shield type lake with a option of a scenic boat ride into Little Johnson thru a winding river that’s a few miles long that connects the two that also has walleye ,but is IMHO a better fishery in the spring , but nonetheless a impressive boat ride for your family to take a boat ride into . Also both Johnson’s have Smallmouth and healthy Northerns . Another option is a connected lake to the north of Johnson called Spring lake which boasts a option of catching a Lake Trout , although I believe more trout get caught there during the ice fishing season than summer ,but they are in there .. This option though may depend on having some high water to get into Spring. . . All in all ,if you haven’t been there it should be a fun time for yourself and your family ..  One more thing , that time of year can also present some Mayfly hatches that can at first help the bite , but also can toughen the bite after awhile.. I have found that using a small ( 1/16th oz ) Pearl White leadhead jig with a very tiny to smaller Shiner minnow can sometimes work magic during these hatch conditions... hope this gives you some insight for your upcoming summer trip to this Johnson lake ... Enjoy !

Thanks for the help! We are staying at Sherricks wilderness resort.

• 1 month later...

Johnson lake is a beautiful peaceful lake that your family will enjoy.  Walleyes can be good at times but smallmouth bass are always hungry on Johnson and there are some big ones to be had.  Have fun and good fishing!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Took my family here first week of July 2019, my 12 year old, his buddy,  and I absolutely killed smallmouth, alot in the 3-5lb range and a few above that. We also did ok on Northern. However absolutely no walleye,  until the night before we left, took my wife out and she actually caught first walleye of the trip, and caught a few more after that. Going back last week in May with a few buddies, any tips on walleye on this lake in late May? I went out early morning and late evening by myself trying every trick , I knew with no luck.  I did see alot of dead mayflies on the water and attributed that to not catching walleye.  Any tips or info on this lake for late May? Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!

• I Like it 1

if you are in the northern part of the state in May you are most likely looking to shallow areas near spawning habitat.  I would probably concentrate on 10' or less pitching jigs and minnows into the shallows and doing a slow retrieval.  Good Luck!

Edited by ozzie
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

@Jasopete, welcome to FM. Thanks for sharing last years experience.

The guys here are very good guys. Guessing you will get more help yet.

Don't be a stranger, stop by often and share your stories, pics, videos or whatever. Have fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Jasopete said:

Took my family here first week of July 2019, my 12 year old, his buddy,  and I absolutely killed smallmouth, alot in the 3-5lb range and a few above that. We also did ok on Northern. However absolutely no walleye,  until the night before we left, took my wife out and she actually caught first walleye of the trip, and caught a few more after that. Going back last week in May with a few buddies, any tips on walleye on this lake in late May? I went out early morning and late evening by myself trying every trick , I knew with no luck.  I did see alot of dead mayflies on the water and attributed that to not catching walleye.  Any tips or info on this lake for late May? Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!

Not an east end guy, but don't people fish pike bay in may?   Reread Cliff's and Ace's notes from past years.   Depends somewhat on what "spring" is like this year.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jasopete said:

Glad to hear that your family had a good time. I'm heading to Sherrick's Wilderness Resort in July for a week for the first time and wondered if you could help me out with a couple of questions I have? What are the accommodations like? Is it one big sleeping room or multiple bedrooms? Is the water safe to drink or do we need to haul our own drinking water? Are bedroom and bathroom linens provided? Is there access to your car once you are dropped off? Do I need to upgrade to a bigger motor than the 15 hp? What are the best baits for smallmouth?

• I Like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 9:49 AM, FiftyFifty said:

Glad to hear that your family had a good time. I'm heading to Sherrick's Wilderness Resort in July for a week for the first time and wondered if you could help me out with a couple of questions I have? What are the accommodations like? Is it one big sleeping room or multiple bedrooms? Is the water safe to drink or do we need to haul our own drinking water? Are bedroom and bathroom linens provided? Is there access to your car once you are dropped off? Do I need to upgrade to a bigger motor than the 15 hp? What are the best baits for smallmouth?

The accommodations are rustic but clean, the mattresses on the beds were fairly new and comfortable. The cabin we stayed in, cabin 5 I believe,  had 3 seperate bedrooms, 1 with 2 single beds, 1 with one set of bunk beds, and one with 2 sets of bunk beds. With seperate room with Kitchen, dining and living room with a pullout couch, 2 bathrooms, 2 refrigerators,  and a chest freezer. No bedroom or bathroom linens are provided, need to bring your own. We brought drinking water, didn't attempt to drink lake water. Yes you can get in your boat and take a 3-5 minute boat trip to the main dock, and walk up the 1/4 mile trail to your car. We went to town one day to pick a few items up 45 minute drive to Orr. We had no problems with the 15hp motor, takes you around lake about 13mph, started on first pull every time.  We had best luck with leaches on 1/8 oz jig head, either under a slip bobber or drift jigging. Didn't have any luck on plastics or hard baits....good baitshop in Orr. Smallmouth were awesome last July, caught alot of trophies. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to FM @FiftyFifty. Sorry I missed you before.

Please let us know how it goes. Join the group here and have more fun.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:54 PM, Jasopete said:

The accommodations are rustic but clean, the mattresses on the beds were fairly new and comfortable. The cabin we stayed in, cabin 5 I believe,  had 3 seperate bedrooms, 1 with 2 single beds, 1 with one set of bunk beds, and one with 2 sets of bunk beds. With seperate room with Kitchen, dining and living room with a pullout couch, 2 bathrooms, 2 refrigerators,  and a chest freezer. No bedroom or bathroom linens are provided, need to bring your own. We brought drinking water, didn't attempt to drink lake water. Yes you can get in your boat and take a 3-5 minute boat trip to the main dock, and walk up the 1/4 mile trail to your car. We went to town one day to pick a few items up 45 minute drive to Orr. We had no problems with the 15hp motor, takes you around lake about 13mph, started on first pull every time.  We had best luck with leaches on 1/8 oz jig head, either under a slip bobber or drift jigging. Didn't have any luck on plastics or hard baits....good baitshop in Orr. Smallmouth were awesome last July, caught alot of trophies. 

Jasopete,

Thanks so much for the information!  One more thing I just thought of---is there any cell service in this rather remote location?  I'll be sure to check back in here and let you know how we did.

10 hours ago, FiftyFifty said:

Jasopete,

Thanks so much for the information!  One more thing I just thought of---is there any cell service in this rather remote location?  I'll be sure to check back in here and let you know how we did.

The possibility of cell coverage does exist on Johnson Lake and The nearby surrounding area . Who you have for your cell carrier may make a difference, and just from one area to another area and on the lake also can come into play up there . I personally with AT&T on another very close lake to Johnson have coverage on the north side but don’t on the south side , go figure , I guess it’s always a challenge in remote conditions . . I would personally just contact Sherrick’s Resort and get your answer to that question ..

Also want to stress bottled water only for drinking , do not drink the lake water as the consequence of doing such is not pleasant whatsoever.. Enjoy your adventure up there !

• Thanks 2

On 1/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jasopete said:

I’m not sure if you took the boat ride from Johnson into Little Johnson with your family last July, or not ,but springtime especially can be a great time to fish walleyes on Little Johnson . Very cool , and safe boat ride and very easily done on the river that connects the two lakes .. On Little Johnson , IMHO your daytime fishing hours can also be more productive , so not to have to limit to low light conditions  which it seems you experienced on Big Johnson , good luck , would be great to hear back on how it all went for you and your buds !

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bigfatbert said:

I’m not sure if you took the boat ride from Johnson into Little Johnson with your family last July, or not ,but springtime especially can be a great time to fish walleyes on Little Johnson . Very cool , and safe boat ride and very easily done on the river that connects the two lakes .. On Little Johnson , IMHO your daytime fishing hours can also be more productive , so not to have to limit to low light conditions  which it seems you experienced on Big Johnson , good luck , would be great to hear back on how it all went for you and your buds !

Yes we made one trip into Little Johnson, planned on spending the day up there and had a thunderstorm move in around 3pm, got out of there pretty quick as it was a 45 minute boat ride back. Caught a bunch of Smallies up there but no Walleye.  We will hit Little Johnson harder this May when we go.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, FiftyFifty said:

Jasopete,

I have Verizon and did not have cell service, did pick up service for about 5 minutes in the bay directly west of the resort one day, but could never find the spot again. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, Jasopete said:

I have Verizon and did not have cell service, did pick up service for about 5 minutes in the bay directly west of the resort one day, but could never find the spot again. 

From where it is, I would guess ATT if anything.    

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

(zoom in and enter zip code for that area.  Cook is 55723 so that's a start.  Looks like ATT has coverage.  Tmobile roams on ATT.   

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cell service is spotty but ATT is available several places on the lake.  You can also use the cell phone at the Sherrick's office in an emergency.  Just ask for Steve.  Call 937 244 1900 for any additional questions.

Chuck Ziegler

Owner

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 3:51 PM, chuckziegler said:

Cell service is spotty but ATT is available several places on the lake.  You can also use the cell phone at the Sherrick's office in an emergency.  Just ask for Steve.  Call 937 244 1900 for any additional questions.

Chuck Ziegler

Owner

@chuckziegler our trip to Sherricks is scheduled for two weeks. Will we be ok to travel through Minnesota as Iowa residents if the "Stay at home" order is still in effect for Minnesota?

Thanks

48 minutes ago, Jasopete said:

@chuckziegler our trip to Sherricks is scheduled for two weeks. Will we be ok to travel through Minnesota as Iowa residents if the "Stay at home" order is still in effect for Minnesota?

Thanks

You're going to get varried responses to this..... me personally I wouldn't see an issue with it as long as you are smart and considerate about it. The MN governor released a statement saying that for our opener we should not go farther than a tank of gas can get us both ways without stopping and we shouldn't stop although he has allowed baitshops to be open. The MN DNR released a statement saying no tickets will be given but you will receive a firm talking to. I would imagine it being close to the we're not angry just disappointed conversations my parents used to have with me in my teens too often

Kettle