• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Border Crossing Change?

Already thinking spring/summer 2019 and wondering if anyone had any experiences or issues with the Canadian Border Patrol last summer (open water) with the border crossing/reporting law change?

I have had a RABC for the past 20-ish seasons and only cross by water to fish, don’t anchor, and never go ashore in Canada.
The new law would indicate I no longer need one but wondering what anyone’s experience was if you were stopped or checked?

Yes, I know all about the Ranier guides/snowmobiles/customers that got ticketed last year so don’t need to re-hash that fiasco.

Thanks in advance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have not heard of a new law. What have you heard and where did you hear it? I occasionally cross from Canada into Minnesota and would be interested in what you've heard.

I do not believe this change impacts crossing from CA to MN and back, just from MN to CA and back?

In June 2017 Canadian Parliament passed Bill S-233 meaning that American boaters and anglers will no longer be required to report to Canadian Customs as long as they do not leave their vessel, land, anchor, moor, or make contact with another conveyance in Canadian waters. 

Link to the Bill:
http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en...3/royal-assent

Link to Rainy Lake Houseboats Blog:

https://www.rainylakehouseboats.com/canada-relaxes-rainy-lake-fishing-regulations-for-americans/

I you search last spring there were some local articles, I-falls, etc.

Enjoy!

Edited by G I Mike
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

So as long as you have a valid Ontario fishing license and identification (passport) you can enter Canadian waters and return to the states?

On 4/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, Topwater Scott said:

So as long as you have a valid Ontario fishing license and identification (passport) you can enter Canadian waters and return to the states?

Yes, but I think  Ontario still outlaws alcohol in the boat and live bait not purchased in Canada.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if this is still the fact with the borders being closed.  Can we still fish Canada waters if you follow the rules of not touching land or anchoring the boat?

No. And it's always best to check with the border office directly rather than get opinions online.

Although not updated yet, the US customs and border patrol website says none essential travel (which I would presume to include fishing) is enacted through May 20th. Latest news not yet posted on the website but by various news outlets states that it has been extended now until June 21st. Like Pro V mentioned your most definitive source would be to call but I for one wouldn't risk getting caught in foriegn waters currently. 

• Thanks 1

I called cbsa today to check on this. I was told that we can still cross the border as long as you follow the no anchoring/mooring/proximity to another boat rules. I will be calling again before our trip next week because I don't trust hearing it from just one guy up there, but he sounded pretty confident.

• Thanks 1

I just called the local Canada Customs to confirm , NO YOU CANT CROSS THE BORDER LINE TO DAY FISH !  The local phone number at the bridge is 807 274 3655 in case you want to verify .

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. The cbsa agent I talked to said the exact opposite. I asked the rainy daze guys and they said no as well. This isn't the first time I've received wrong info from cbsa, it's frustrating that they make these rules so difficult to understand. Guess we will be staying on our side.

• Thanks 1

I agree it is frustrating , I find the U.S. side to be worse and the forms very confusing partially because of the terminology they use . There needs to be a summary written in plane and simple English that enplane the basic rules for each country and each season without using confusing  acronyms or titles.  

• Thanks 1

I could not agree more. Now I can sit and refresh the voyageurs website all day hoping they open up their "remote" campsites per the governor's also confusing order. Then maybe we can plan a 10 day camping trip on 3 days notice. 

• Thanks 1

Voyageurs and bwca are open to overnight camping! There are rumors on other sites regarding an announcement on the 21st by Ontario that may affect border water fishing regulations, but I'm not holding my breath. More than enough spots on our side of town to keep a guy occupied. Can't wait to get up there and spend some time in gods country. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The border is not a provincial thing it is federal . The premier of Ontario has been vocal that he does not want the border open any time soon . Don!t get to excited !

• Thanks 1

The resort I have a booking with posted the new “optimistic “ date to open the border is June 21st.  That’s the week of my planned trip. I’m happy to know there’s at least a chance we can do this and will prepare for it but also know it’s far from a sure thing.