• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Float Suit - Striker? Clam? Other?

Mistermojo

I searched the forum for anything new regarding flotation suits and I didn't see anything since about 2015.  So.... If a guy were to buy a suit with flotation, which one and why?  Let's assume that the company and their lawyers all did their homework and they will save a life just the same.  I'm talking about comfort / mobility / sizing, etc.  I went to the Big C tonight to try some on and they were really picked over.  The only thing I found in my size was the Icearmor Rise jacket, but no bibs and they were not on any kind of sale.  Icearmor has a promo to get a free pair of boots if you buy a whole suit, which I plan to resell and cover some of my cost so that is of interest to me, but I can't mix and match between stores to get the best deal.

So - fire away.  What do you have and why do you like or dislike it?

I have a Striker Hardwater and the Wife has the Clam Rise suit.

Both are great and we chose them based on how they fit, each body is different and you will find different brands and even product lines within a brand will fit different.

I would try stopping by Thorne Bros and see what they have in stock to try on, they might have more upstairs if you dont see your size.  Float suits dont go on sale much other than the Blaine Ice show, St Paul Ice show, Black Friday and then after the season.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

If you like snowmobiling and Ice fishing FXR makes suits with their "FAST"- Flotation Assistance System Technology. Haven't had to try mine out yet. Thankfully. ?

@ mistermojo

I doubt you can go wrong with any of the bigger name float suits out there.  They’ve come a long way since the first models hit the market.

Personally I’ve been extremely happy with anything Striker has put out.  The suits, hats, gloves, face masks, you name it.  All of their items are well thought out and very well constructed.  Pretty much everyone I know has gone to Striker for their first suits and have all been happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

My first suit was the Arctic Armor camo combo.  Loved the soft touch outer surface and the bibs were warm, but a little bulky.  Ended up really not liking the coat because it didn't have any options for ventilation under the arms or across the back.  I run hot and it didn't take much for me to sweat with that jacket and then end up being cold. 

I sold that suit and made the switch to a Striker Climate coat and Hardwater bibs.  They've been fantastic.  Bibs are more comfortable and less bulky that the Arctic Armor bibs were.  Climate coat is a double win for me.  I wear the liner jacket most of the winter season as my daily winter coat.  The Climate shell has options for ventilation and has always been plenty warm enough for me without the liner as long as I properly layer for the temps. 

Found a smoking deal on some camo pattern Striker bibs at the sport shop in Maple Lake this year that had less insulation that the Hardwater bibs, so I now have 2 options on bibs depending on temps.  Many of my friends and neighbors also took advantage of the sale in Maple Lake.  They might still have some options there, so could be worth a call.

I bought a Striker snowmobile jacket and bibs at the Red Rock store up the Fernberg about 8 years ago. Really like them!

Thanks, guys.  I ended up going with the Striker Climate bibs and jacket.  Ultimately I wanted things with removable liners so I could use them in late fall and early spring as well, even as late as fishing opener.  I searched high and low for the Clam Ascent stuff, as I wanted the free boots , but nobody has the jackets in 2X or 3X, only the bibs were in stock.  The store in Roseville that sells guns and skis had 30% off all ice fishing clothing which made the Striker stuff a bit easier to swallow since Striker jacks the price up for extended sizes.  I ended up buying the Combat gloves too.  Haven't had a chance to use any of it yet, and probably not looking great with the single digits coming up later this week and plans on the weekend.  At least we're making ice!

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Mistermojo said:

Haven't had a chance to use any of it yet, and probably not looking great with the single digits coming up later this week and plans on the weekend.  At least we're making ice!

You’ll like em.  And these temps are exactly the reason to invest in gear like that.  I just spent the entire day out fishing in mine.  Temp topped out at 5; wind gusts and snow.  Half the time in the open and half in a poorly heated flip over.

Great choice!  I use my full climate jacket in the 10 and under temps and am always warm!  and having the option to remove the liner in the bibs is great for fall fishing and with the liner your usually sweating if your moving they are so warm!  I have had mine for at least 5 years and have been very happy with the money invested.  Good luck and hope you enjoy your purchase!