• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Borch

Fishing Minnesota Cool Cats Get Together 2019 ***cancelled***

Borch

Good hearing from you again and hope you can make it up.  Seems like lake travel is starting to improve.  Hope mother nature cooperates. 

eyeguy 54

you thinking same area as last year? Maybe @Rick G @IceHawk and I can scout it out a couple days ahead of time. 

• Haha 1

Borch

Yeah I'm planning and scouting starting next week.  Any help is appreciated.

Also a reminder....

You will need a new fishing license as of 3/1/19.  The warden often comes by to say "hi"  and chat for a bit at our gathering.   I would hate to have someone forget.   Especially me. 😉

• Thumbs Up 2

eyeguy 54

thx for the reminder! 

mrpike1973

Any one know/think we can drive out with a car to the get together this weather is not helping.

IceHawk

Was out there today scouting and as what I saw first hand today I would say no. Maybe with any luck someone will plow some trails but as right now she's pretty deep and hard. Gave my pickup a workout.  There r some  goat trails going out but once off that without 4x4 its a disaster. 

• Wow 1

mrpike1973

That's what I figured thanks for checking it out! hopefully we wont be to far out. Oh well I could use a good walk🙂

Borch

I might be able to make a run or two if needed with my truck.  Hopefully we don't get dumped on and get a few warm sunny days to get this stuff to settle a bit.

eyeguy 54

more white on the way. hopefully not much! 

smurfy

There also talking a possible snowmaggen over the weekend.

Borch

Ick.

Just got off the phone with my daughter and she was saying the one this weekend is now supposed to be worse than the one tomorrow.   Hope not...

eyeguy 54

sheesh, 7 day says 18 to 24. this is getting comical 

smurfy
38 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

sheesh, 7 day says 18 to 24. this is getting comical 

18 to  24 degrees??

• Confused 1

eyeguy 54

inches if all the forcasts hit. but probably south of us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick G
1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

inches if all the forcasts hit. but probably south of us. 

The way it's coming down right now.... don't look good for area lakes in foreseeable future😉 we get another 8inches and it will be snowmobile only  for a while

mrpike1973

This is really getting rough out there. I will drive through anything but today I can say i was pretty nervous on the roads

Borch

It's looking very iffy due to all the snow.   I will make a call by Monday of next week.  Like Rick said, its gonna be tough to get out for awhile around here.

eyeguy 54

thx for the update. crazy February

mrpike1973

Thanks Borch for looking at the lakes it is very rough out there. I was on a local lake that was plowed as of Monday I got stuck backed out and a big no go out there

PRO-V

Maybe you should change it to a bowling get together 😉

Mike89
1 hour ago, PRO-V said:

Maybe you should change it to a bowling get together 😉

that is what is happening in Long Prairie Saturday!!! ice bowling...

• Thumbs Up 1

The Chemist

I hope that we will be able to have it! Sounds like we are going to be up for the weekend. Was up last weekend and got a couple. But will be needing extensions on augers soon.

Borch

We got an additional 8-10" yesterday.   Talking another 2-4 this weekend.  Gonna be tough going for sure.

Borch

Went on a mission to see if I could get to any of the kitties spots today.   Was really pumped when I saw a nice plowed road on Cedar Island.

30464.thumb.jpeg.3fc776496faeb6e6999214cbec9ae973.jpeg

Well that didn't last long as I buried my 1 ton diesel in 2+ feet of drifted snow.  Got stuck twice and off roading wasn't an option. Couldn't get within 1/2 of the kittie spots.  The Horseshoe winter access was drifted shut and not much of the trail left.  Gonna be tough going for a long time.  Sorry guys but we're gonna have to cancel the get together.  Just no way to guarantee that we will be able to access the lake in a spot to catch some catfish.   Then even if we get there it's going to be a deep snow/slush mess in cold temps.

• Thumbs Up 3

mrpike1973

Thanks Borch,  Sorry you got stuck no good was out yesterday also almost did not make it out to nasty and when you drill a hole it's like striking oil. There is always next year better to be safe and unstuck.

Wanderer

Borch, yeah, that stinks.  The getting stuck while scouting part.  Cancelling is a smart idea.

My wife is seeing a lot of people stranded on Mille Lacs and LOW asking for help.  I hope they get out soon and safe.  The resorts aren’t able to bail everyone out.  Might have to leave the castles behind and just worry about themselves and trucks!  These are not the conditions one should take lightly!

Borch

This wind really moved a lot of snow around.  Even when roads were made they drifted in in short order. 

• Thumbs Up 1

smurfy
39 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Borch, yeah, that stinks.  The getting stuck while scouting part.  Cancelling is a smart idea.

My wife is seeing a lot of people stranded on Mille Lacs and LOW asking for help.  I hope they get out soon and safe.  The resorts aren’t able to bail everyone out.  Might have to leave the castles behind and just worry about themselves and trucks!  These are not the conditions one should take lightly!

Not to be a Richard, but really, these conditions one shoulda stayed home. Sure hope everyone gets off them lakes safely.

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

This wind changed things in a hurry. It’s going to be nasty tomorrow morning going to work please be careful out there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Fishing Trend bD
      By Fishing Trend bD
      This is another traditional fishing video and its very popular all over the world. Hope you enjoy.
      Watch and enjoy.
    • Borch
      By Borch
      Get together for cats and panfish.  Stay tunes for for details.
    • Eyesniper
      By Eyesniper
      Has anyone been out to big swan recently? Curious how the ice is and if there are spots to avoid as I’ve not fished this lake before. Looking to target cats as my other lakes have been lacking this year. Don’t need other people’s spots just ice conditions. Would like to bring out my 3/4 ton and 17’ IC if possible. 
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/24/18, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Cedar Island Lake near Richmond.    As of today the ice conditions appear to be excellent with 2 feet or more of good ice in all areas except necked down current areas.  The highlighted routes are being traveled frequently at this point.   The Cedar Island Lake is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots.  
      There will be a potluck about noon with a raffle drawing following lunch.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.

Cedar Island Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22 east of Horseshoe lake.  There is a public access about 3 miles south of Hwy 23 on CR 71 that is a good option for cars or wheelhouses as the CR 22 access is a bit steep.  For those who have used the winter access for Horseshoe Lake the Cedar Island winter access is directly across the road from this access.
      I look forwards to seeing you all there!

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

• Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 2/25/17, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      The St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot called the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  As of today the ice conditions appear to be adequate.   The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.   So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.    As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      We will need to monitor ice conditions as it's been a weird winter so far.  Given the current ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
    • Horseshoe_Don
      By Horseshoe_Don
      Was out walleye fishing tonight and the cats were pretty aggressive just after dark.   Caught 2 cats that were 4-5 pounds and lost another just as big.   Ate some tasty walleye also.

Don

• esoxrocks01
      By esoxrocks01
      I'll be fishing the red river this weekend from Saturday until Sunday for giant channel kitties.  On the Minnesota side, where is the best public place to shorefish for one of these trophies?  Also, what bait tends to work the best if you're not using cut bait?  I'm looking for alternatives.  Thank you guys!
    • Borch
      By Borch
      St Cloud Get Together 1/30/16, 8:00 am until you want to leave
      When after all of your feedback the St Cloud Get Together will be on Horseshoe Lake near Richmond.  The event will be held near a spot call the Meth Hole.  The area gets this name from the methane gas bubbles that sometimes leaves a small hole in the ice.  Today the ice conditions where checked again and found to be 14-15" of good ice between the winter access and the gathering area.   Thanks Don and Rick.  The Meth Hole area is well known for a great place to catch channel catfish through the ice.  What you may not know is that it is also and excellent spot for catch crappies, walleyes and the infamous party crappie,(rock bass).  Channel cats can be caught on the same gear you use for crappies or walleyes.  Those targeting cats often use pieces of minnows, chicken liver or live minnows.  These baits can be fish under a sensitive bobber or jigged on a small jigging spoon.  Despite there size, channel cats can be very light biters so take that into account.  Crappies can be caught on the usual crappie techniques, including plastics.  We caught a lot of crappies last year along with the cats.  So if cats aren't your thing there still the crappies or walleyes to target.   With the late ice this winter there hasn't been a lot of people fishing this area.  So fishing could be really good.  As the name implies, this event is mostly for fun.  It's a great way to meet others from the forum, tell stories, share techniques and maybe even a few fishing spots. 
      There will be a potluck about noon.  The plan is to have a fish fry with any donated catfish, crappies or walleyes from the morning.  If folks could pack a fillet knife and a fish cleaning board that would be great.  Also storing fish so they don't freeze makes the cleaning process so much easier.  Bring a dish to pass.  This is a family friendly event so bring the whole family!  I will have some fishing goodies for the kids.
      Given the ice thickness it is important that vehicles are spread out a bit.  Try to avoid parking 3-4 vehicles right next to each other.  Know what your vehicle and fishhouse needs for ice based on it's weight.

Horseshoe Lake is south of Richmond MN on CR 22.  There is a public access about 1 mile south of Hwy 23.  DO NOT USE this access as it sits on the river and is a high current area.  Instead use the winter access further south(see on map).
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• AlwaysFishing23
      The far northern reaches of crow wing county. 
    • Rick
      What area were you in? Nothing specific, just general area. Like Alexandria or whatever.
    • Daniel Hayes
      On buck, are their any secrets to know about? Says it's a clear lake, any chance panfish might bite at night?
    • AlwaysFishing23
      It’s not bad! I got it this last fall at a hardware type store with a fishing department. They had the reels priced at $39.99. Plus they were running a 25% off reel sale. So I got it for something like $25. So a $90 reel I walked out for $25. It’s ok worth the $25 but not $90 imo.
    • IceHawk
      Great report and pics! Looks like a great time. How do you like your Clam Gravity Elite? I really like mine have a couple now and plan to add a few more next year.  Own a couple black betty free falls also but for the buck the Gravity's are the way to go. 
    • smurfy
      awe...………...you forgot the GPS cords!!!!!!!!!!🤣   nice pictures and fish!!!!!!!!👍
    • Borch
      I know a group of us have talked a lot about this recently.   I really like the 10 or 5 depending in the lake.  The 1 over 10" if someone wants a trophy gill.   For crappie regs just look a bit south.
    • AlwaysFishing23
      Well we wrapped up a few days up north. Tried a lake I’ve been to a few times in past but seem to always struggle at getting anything going. It took a lot of miles on the sled and be willing to go out in subzero temps and strong winds but I was able to contact a massive amount of gills. Ended up catching around 300 I figure. Biggest was about 9”- 9 1/2”. A lot of dandies over all. Kept a few meals to hold me over for a while. Next day went back and threw out a tipup with suckers I had left over from a few weeks ago. I literally could not keep the flag down! ( haha what a funny sentence!!) it was not stop flags and fish! I even had one spool me as I running up to it! So much fun. The gills were all in about 14fow but were stacked from bottom up to about 5 ft down. It’s One of the clearest lakes in the state So I was able to sight fish them and let me tell you if your able to sight fish gills its one of the most entertaining things I can think of doing. Even we’re able to put a decent amount of miles on the sleds. The trails up there were the best I’ve seen and were perfect shape for riding. 
    • smurfy
      Paul, any reports on pike fishing.??? my plan is to come out and chase flags Saturday!!!!!!!!!!
    • Sculpin
      I would tend to agree, however, the DNR obviously does not see it that way.  They show 267 walleyes died from hooking mortality in the Dec. Jan. period for a total poundage loss of 521lbs. The numbers are simply mind boggling, and amazing.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.