• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Overall Drop Down Ice House Width.

arctic_scrap1

Can anyone tell me what the overall width of the 6.5ft wide ice houses are? I'm talking outside of tire to outside of tire. I am wondering if I can build a 7' wide house and still be under the legal width limit.

5 minutes ago, PRO-V said:

Consult the State Highway Patrol so you get the correct answer.

Well I know the legal max width is 8' 6". I'm just wondering if a 7' wide house would be over that once you factor in the extra width of the axle and tires.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
52 minutes ago, arctic_scrap1 said:

Well I know the legal max width is 8' 6". I'm just wondering if a 7' wide house would be over that once you factor in the extra width of the axle and tires.

You don't have to build the axles and tires outside the house. You can sink them into the frame a bit and have them come up and down inside a built in enclosure that will end up being like shelves on the inside. You just lose a little room on the inside in those two areas. Kind of like this. Instead of that.

image.png.31aba16542d2967e0d487a6653e1b2f1.pngimage.png.f213599c8cb30faf8a1ba7e607deef1c.png

• Thumbs Up 1

My DIY 6.5 x 12 wheel house is 77.5" outside fenders are 12.25" total width 102" or 8'6". Fenders extend 1.5" past tire. At 7' the total width will exceed 8.5' unless designed per Leech post.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:11 PM, arctic_scrap1 said:

Can anyone tell me what the overall width of the 6.5ft wide ice houses are? I'm talking outside of tire to outside of tire. I am wondering if I can build a 7' wide house and still be under the legal width limit.

Edited by fsnrod
delete

Yeah I know I can do one with the recessed wheel wells like your typical 8' wide ice castle. I was trying to avoid that. I've been in houses like that and I just don't like it. I would prefer one like a 6.5' wide but I'm taller and my fishing buddies are tall so beds across the back of it wouldn't work well. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Edited by arctic_scrap1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two years ago four of us were in a Portavilla rental on Red. 6 1/2 x 16 house. 2 sets of drop down bunks on the side. I will NEVER do that again. Never been so cramped in my life. I would take an 8' wide any day if more than 2 people.

I've even thought of making an 8x16 shack and then buying an 8x20 aluminum snowmobile trailer. Then use a winch system to get the house back on the trailer. Then I would have the trailer for other uses. I just really hate the wheel well setups on 8' wide drop downs. I don't think that whole setup would weigh much more than a 8x16 drop down.

Edited by arctic_scrap1

I was looking at 6.5 x 14 ice castles this spring. We decided to by an 8x16. I am so glad we did just because of the bunks. I am a big guy. I don't like being cramped up sleeping. IMO 8 foot wide is the way to go. My 8x16 ice castle weighs 4200 pounds. 

2 hours ago, arctic_scrap1 said:

Yeah I know I can do one with the recessed wheel wells like your typical 8' wide ice castle. I was trying to avoid that. I've been in houses like that and I just don't like it. I would prefer one like a 6.5' wide but I'm taller and my fishing buddies are tall so beds across the back of it wouldn't work well. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Inside of mine is 71.25” wall to wall. I don’t sleep in it. I rent a cabin on overnight trips $30 to $45 per person per night 5 to 6 guys on trip. My WH is under 1,000 lbs. It took <$900 to build it, now has power lift. Fish 6 holes 3 people with comfort. Bring comfie chair if you want to fish in it. The $20K cost avoidance from buying a Castle will more than offset the next 15 year cabin rental. After that, at 90, my Son will need to take over arrangements.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.