• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where Ya Headin'?

Cyrus83

Well its Friday and the forecast looks fantastic for a weekend of hole hopping. Me and the 96' Pantera are heading up North of Duluth in search of walleyes. Where is everyone heading, what's the target, and how much ice are you seeing? 

9f9bece8-be29-4fc7-841a-375302c1b212.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m loading up the wheeler in the morning. I’ll throw the otter in the truck and planning on slaying the perch, gills, crappies and maybe pike. Should be a good day to test out the new auger mounts for the ATV. Planning to stay Mobil for a few hours then setup the hub and be comfortable. I’ve fished the lake I’m going to a few times this year already and have done well. Last time out there we had abou 7-1/4” ice so last I hear there was 10-11”. So should be plenty good for atv traffic as there’s zero snow on most lakes anymore.

Had a plan to get out today with a good partner but he came down sick.  Still keeping the day off from work and catching up on gear maintenance and get a couple new set ups going.  Will get out this afternoon to check one of two lakes that were on my hit list last year I never made it to.  Tomorrow I might connect with a buddy in the Aitkin area.

Good luck All. ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Wanderer said:

Had a plan to get out today with a good partner but he came down sick.

That sounds like me. All week I’ve been slowly dragging along, felling terrible. But I go fishing no matter how I feel. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I am going to check some local lakes today 

• Thumbs Up 1

Up on mille lacs isle bay. 13.5 inches of ice and half ton trucks out here. Fishing is slow. 1 Walleye last night at 845. Moving the house deeper today. 

In Aitkin now; getting a slow start this morning.  No problem there, it’s a day bite for the most part.

Yesterday I checked one of those two hit list lakes.  Evening into the dark.  I only picked up 2 perch, 1 gill and had one 30 inch pike to the hole 4 times before it came off when I got more aggressive to turn his head into the hole.  I started in 24 feet and worked up to 15 before connecting with anything.

What a fight though. Using a 28 inch pannie rod, 2 lb test on a 13 Descent, fishing size 16 jig and plastic.  After hooking into it and the first head shakes were done it just sat there.  I couldn’t move it for a while but could feel it finning around.  I thought, what the heck!  Did I just hook a beaver?!

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

It was a tough bite yesterday. Ended with a lot of small gills and perch but did land a nice 9-3/4” gill. I’ve been doing well on big gills so far this season. That was about the best of my day the rest went down hill from there. Thinking I might try to redeem my self and give it another try this afternoon.