• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Tom7227

Bald Eagle Lake November 30 2018

Tom7227

I live near the lake and thought I would warn folks that the ice is doing strange things this year.  There were several large areas of open water earlier this week.  Now they look like they might be closed but it is hard to tell.  The areas are very dark in color and I suspect that if there is ice it is very thing and mushy.  Of note is a large area just north of the island and another in the northern part of the lake near the long arm of rocks where there is often a lot of ice fishing.  Also the house on the island has been getting a lot of work and the crews have broken several trails out to the house.  Be very careful if you go out.  I haven't seen anyone out fishing yet.

fishingstar

thanks for the report

good to see you back

jwilli7122

About 5-6 years ago I had been fishing first ice with a friend from cigar island west towards the shoreline. It was about 0 degrees, there was no snow on the ice and it seemed like there was 6 inches of ice everywhere. You could easily see how thick the ice was in any given spot by looking at the cracks. I think we saw some 4 wheelers out. 

Anyhow after dark we started walking back to the public access. He was carrying an unlit lantern and I was pulling the sled about 5 feet behind him. I had my headlamp on but he had turned his off. We were chatting and not really paying attention but all of a sudden my eye caught the glimmer of light on water and I yelled “stop!” He stopped dead. There was open water about 3 inches in front of his boot that extended 50 feet or so. He said “that’s just water on the ice” (which doesn’t really make sense given the temperature and no fishing activity in this spot) and he lowered the lantern into the water to show me. Well needless to say the lantern went in to the glass and he jumped and scrambled about 25 feet behind me before you could blink.  

If I remember correctly we were still maybe 200-400 yards from the gap between the reed island and shore. And we were maybe 150  yards from shore ourselves. It was the weirdest thing. We had both been on the ice on that lake probably 50+ times and had never seen anything like it.  We very carefully made our way to the shoreline and hugged it back to the access.

Tom7227

A friend reported 8 inches and some walleye yesterday.  i don't know where he was on Bald Eagle.  Another friend posted a picture of some ice boaters out today (Saturday).  I could well be wrong about the risks but I'm not going to be the one to find out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom7227

December 4 and still no one out on the main lake.  I haven't checked to see if anyone has gone out from the launch.

AnglerSS

Tom- any more reports from Bald Eagle?  Hoping to go out tomorrow afternoon for some walleyes.  Thank you