• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My dog was recently diagnosed with this disease. Fungal infection of the lungs. Seems to be taking the treatment well but I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with their dogs getting infected. How they progressed, how long it took to heal etc?

I guess it is fairly common specifically in the lake vermilion area, which is why I'm posting here vs. the dog forums. If you haven't heard of it before you may want to read up on it to learn the symptoms, as it is very aggressive and can kill them easily. The fungus lives in and around rotting wood and soil, which there is obviously no shortage of around vermilion. 

Any info on experience with it would be great, otherwise hopefully this helps as a PSA of something to be on the lookout for

I have had two labs die from Blasto!

It can be mostly controlled by treatment many times but at times the treatment does not work as in my case.

Cliff

• Wow, ❤ 1

FishinCT.   I’m curious what part of the lake you are on?  My neighbor told me of 3 different dogs have contracted it this summer by us (moccasin point area). I hope for the best for your pup. I know I have kept mine a little closer now on our walks.   Cliff  did you ever find a hotspot that your labs may have got it or was it just plain ole bad luck

I was building  a house for a veterinarian recently in the area and we spoke about this problem. She suggested talking to folks on Vermilion to help narrow down problem areas. She said Vermilion is known for this problem. I'm very interested in this topic and will post any findings I come across. Good luck for the pups!

Just bad luck I guess! Probably contacted it right at my home on the Pike River by the hatchery.

Cliff 

Ah the stuff my overstuffed skull recalls.... took a search to find it.  I remembered because a good friend's golden died mysteriously.

also

I have a friend 10 miles north of Grand Rapids lose several to blasto on his property so he quit having dogs. 24 years ago a friend of mine got it himself up but my hunting shack N.E. of Effie and it nearly killed him. 

Very sad to hear these stories as we are a HUGE dog-loving family (on our third lab). Wishing and hoping the best to all who have been effected by this. Makes me wonder about some of our old birch wood piles rotting in various areas on our property since we bought it in 2004......

Petty hard to tell where it might occur as it is so randomly scattered up NE Mn. I remember some years ago up the range they we're expanding a housing area and some people were affected when they moved the soil. Can't remember the location.

My brother lost a lab to blasto and 6 years ago we lost our 8 yo lab to blasto.  He lived in Ely and we are on the Western end of the lake.  Very sad to hear and hope the treatments go well.  Both our dogs were too far advanced for treatment.  Our current lab is 6 and doing well but we watch her closely for signs we felt we missed with the first, weight loss, shortness of breath, generalized weakness.

Fishingdad- We are on moccasin point as well. I should've shared that as I have heard the same thing about dogs in that area getting it. 

Tom- thank you for the info. We had the same drugs prescribed. Vet back home gave us the weaker one but vet in Virginia that deals with this all the time gave us the Itraconazole. 

On about day 5 with that now and pup not too much worse for the wear. Higher breathing rate but otherwise plenty of energy. Hopefully we caught it in time. Scary disease to read about for sure

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, PRO-V said:

I have a friend 10 miles north of Grand Rapids lose several to blasto on his property so he quit having dogs. 24 years ago a friend of mine got it himself up but my hunting shack N.E. of Effie and it nearly killed him. 

My brother-in-law lived about 10 miles north of Grand Rapids and died from blasto ( also had neuropathy and diabetes that likely weakened him).  Then another brother-in-law living in the same area lost his dog to blasto shortly after that.

Hope your dog's treatment goes well.

So update      Like I said earlier we live by Moccasin Point & our dog ( mini golden doodle ) is very healthy with no signs of Blasto what so ever. But we decided to be proactive & had a urine test done & it came back positive. The vet said very low levels but it is still positive.  I am very, very  glad we did not wait to see if anything developed so our dog as well will go on meds starting today.  Good luck to all of you & I would test if I was you

Tom  if you read this  how did you go about getting the meds from Canada

Edited by fishingdad

Fishen Dad

i asked Bonnie my wife about Blasto meds n she said our vet looked up the Canada contacts an gave us prescription. Bonnie contact Canada place n done deal.  Say $1000 for 30 pills here n $200 out of Canada.  Huge diff $$ for the itraconazole.   Cheap in US now Bonnie mentions. Of course it is since we don’t need it!

She says try a search online for different price pays off.

Vets will help if you ask n they want to keep you or dog as clients. Worth the effort n online anyway might as well hunt up savings n help pup. 

I can check around a bit when get home see what I can find.  Thanks for mention. “Pre whizz Test”.  Good stuff

Will hunt around n see what pops up. I’m a good searcher!!! ?

Also knew a friend had it Ralph Hilla long time owner of Standing Marina up east two rivers. He died May this year. not Blasto related but he used to tell of how close to lung death he was until one day in hospital Doc heard him mention Blasto in a friends hound. Doc happen to have heard of it an they did some tests an well That is what was killing Ralph. Creepy. He had damage n affects during hi pollen n hot muggy days but was 82 I think when passed. Creepy stuff

idea of whiz test is good. We plan on doing this for new dude Fred Bear when close up Island here in fall.

I say time to go find some fishys!

Fred thinks more Zzzzzzz on his menu...

So best of luck with pup 

Fee sure have a great weekend

T

ECF6235F-1EE9-4B3D-AD5A-7FFADBF0AC86.jpeg

Edited by TomWehler
  • Thumbs Up 2

We lost a dog to Blasto some years ago and had another that survived with the medication, We got our meds in Thailand and the price was about $2.00 a pill compared to $6.00 a pill in US. Most vets have little experience with it because most people have the dog put down. It starts like cancer and it effects all of the major organs, heart, lungs, liver and even the brain. The medication will either cure them or kill them.  A very sad thing to watch. Labs are very susceptible because they have their nose on the ground all the time and like to chew on old wood. Both of my dogs were Labs.

"Ace" ;) 

We here Sir Wagenbach n guts full o corn n power chops, head out again clown round in sunset. 

Fred met his 1st Muskie Fish at 1 pm by Bystrom Bog. Fun time. Then lots of bass to get my Handsome on!

Fish naked!

?

T

0A18D138-C18E-4FDA-8458-48C783A4CA4F.jpeg

2B480ECF-F453-4A72-83F3-6ACE2CD6E1ED.jpeg

• Yayyyy 2

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, TomWehler said:

Fish naked! 

?

Maybe I'm not cut out for Musky fishing if this is what you have to do to get em! ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Good Afternoon, my lab was recently diagnosed with Blasto. He's been on Itraconazole for about a week, he's still really lethargic and his abscesses (he has 2 on his chest and they run down to under his armpit and then one on his pad) are still very prevalent. He also tested positive for lymes even though he was vaccinated for it and gets monthly preventatives.

Just wondering if anyone knows when the abscesses might subside and when he might start feeling better? He also had a very scary breathing episode last night where he was gasping for air, lasted a few minutes but felt like an hour. He then also urinated on the floor which he never does.

I got the medication on www.goodrx.com which led me to Costco and I got 120 capsules for $76, so a lot better than what I was anticipating (closer to $400 a month).

I know this thread is pretty old, just hoping anyone has more info. Not a lot about the recovery process online. 

Thanks,

Lauren

• Wow, ❤ 1

What did the vet tell you?   They probably know more that we do.   

And shouldnt he be getting antibiotic for lyme?    

Thanks, she wasn't sure on treating both illnesses at the same time.

I was just looking for recovery time or anyone who has gone through it.

Thanks

I know treatment in humans can go on for a year, it's a fungi so it's a lot harder and longer to treat then a bacterial infection.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Thanks, she wasn't sure on treating both illnesses at the same time.

I was just looking for recovery time or anyone who has gone through it.

Thanks

good luck....

So it looks like I started this thread a couple years ago now. We stopped treating my lab last fall when she finally tested negative for the fungus. So it was definitely over a year that we treated her. In all honesty she should’ve died. I think she’s only alive because she was in incredible shape when she got it. She never had the abscesses to my knowledge, it was all in the lungs. Extremely high breathing rate at her worst but she made it through. 

It seems like she gets winded a little easier now but other than that is back to normal. Hunted late last year with no issues. 

No two cases are the same I’m sure and I think we probably had one of the more extreme ones to actually survive. Hopefully your dog kicks it much quicker 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you! I really appreciate the info and so glad she pulled through.

There really isn't any info of the during treatment time but like you said it sounds like every case is different and not a whole lot is known about it.

I will hand this account back over to my husband so he can join in on the fishing forum.

Again thank you all! Stay safe!

I've lost 2 labs to this. First one 10 years ago and one last year. Getting a new pup next week and am super paranoid about bringing him to the cabin. Wondering if anyone has asked their vet about giving the treatment (Itraconazole) without a diagnosis, as a preventative. Sounds like cost has come down to where that might be affordable.

Oh I am so sorry, that is awful. I can ask my vet and let you know, I did ask if there was any preventative and she said no but maybe if you know it's in the area treating is a good idea.

I will let you know when I hear back. My lab is on the mend but tires really easily and spends most of his time sleeping. Horrible disease.